Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want to buy your first car? READ HERE FOR HELP

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    If I have no way to go on a parents etc insurance and I will be passing my test by the end of the summer (hopefully) is it reasonable to expect to be able to pay £1000-£2000 for a car and no more than £3000 for insurance?
    Look up insurance on a 1l Corsa, whatever age is within budget, and that'll be your ballpark figure for small common cars, which are usually cheapest to insure.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    Perfectly reasonable. Anything more for insurance would be a rip-off.

Put your parents and girlfriend as named drivers on your policy, it should bring it down.
    Girlfriend was only insured for one year before moving to Canada and she hasn't had a car since she got back, would that still help?

Unsure whether my dad would let me me :beard: Don't see why not though!

What car would you recommend as a good first car?

(Original post by Pony Jack)
    Look up insurance on a 1l Corsa, whatever age is within budget, and that'll be your ballpark figure for small common cars, which are usually cheapest to insure.
    Will do :yy: Is there any car you would recommend as a good first car that won't make me look like a boy racer and will actually proctect me if some arse crashes in to me?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...47nt?logcode=p

Just checked insurance on that using Confused, included my girlfriend and it quoted me at about £3300 if I pay annually or £4500 if I pay monthly :lolwut: Surely I must be able to get insurance cheaper than that ffs

Edit: This one http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/2?logcode=p is quoted at £3000 annual or £4000 if paid monthly :sigh:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Girlfriend was only insured for one year before moving to Canada and she hasn't had a car since she got back, would that still help?

Will do :yy: Is there any car you would recommend as a good first car that won't make me look like a boy racer and will actually proctect me if some arse crashes in to me?
    It's not about how long you, her, or anyone's been driving, but merely how long they've had their licence. Insurers don't distinguish between somebody who passed 5 years ago and hasn't been able to build up a no claims discount for whatever reason, and someone who passed 5 years ago and hasn't been driving. Thankfully they don't presume everyone in this position has been having crashes every year, so prices come down.

I passed before I went to uni, in January 2008, and haven't had my own car since until last month, and insurance came down from the ridiculous figures you're getting then, to just over £600 a year TPF&T now, all through having had my licence for 4 years.

As for non-boy racer cars, annoyingly they're boy racer cars by virtue of being cheap to insure so every chav can afford to insure them. I don't really have any experience to be able to recommend anything, and I know there are people on here in a much better position to do so. I'd guess either something safe and modern, or old and unable to get up to the speed to have a serious crash! :p: I've gone for the latter and got a bargain of a Renault 5 off fleabay for next to nothing, and it's perfectly capable.

Another thing - try little tweaks when you're getting your quote to see what shaves pounds off - street parking vs driveway vs garage, variations on your job title (for instance I could have reasonably put sales assistant, supermarket cashier, adviser, usually with slightly different prices), that sort of thing.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)

Your dad doesn't have to give you permission. :wink2:

As for a first car, personally I'd go for something Japanese - Starlet, Micra, Swift - you may get a Yaris. All should be low insurance as they're not 'hip' cars.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    Your dad doesn't have to give you permission. :wink2:

As for a first car, personally I'd go for something Japanese - Starlet, Micra, Swift - you may get a Yaris. All should be low insurance as they're not 'hip' cars.
    Will have a look in to those cars :beard:

Where is the best place to look for cars? I've been having a general browse through auto trader.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Will have a look in to those cars :beard:

Where is the best place to look for cars? I've been having a general browse through auto trader.
    Given you live in Liverpool, you should be able to get a good car at a used dealership. Then you may get some sort of warranty/more likely to come with a full MOT and so forth. Just check similar cars on auto trader for price comparison reasons, but do expect to pay a tad more at a dealership.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts on a citroen saxo 1.1i forte as a first car anyone? 2002 btw
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to buy a car when I get my license; how much is your insurance?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris Nicole)
    I'm trying to buy a car when I get my license; how much is your insurance?
    Mine's £600 or there about. :dry:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bought my first car today. Red Nissan Micra. Picking it up on Monday
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts on 2003-2004 1.4 Peugeot 206 guys?
    Checking these out in upcoming weeks for my first car
    Any tips appreciated
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sockhead)
    Thoughts on 2003-2004 1.4 Peugeot 206 guys?
    Checking these out in upcoming weeks for my first car
    Any tips appreciated
    My gf had one until very recently, hers' was very reliable just regular maintenance work only for 180k km, no real issues till then when it needed a new steering rack, balljoints, engine mounts and shocks all round. Other than that everything else worked well with it.

My family had an 04 206 CC 2.0l , it was nothing but pure troublesome french crap. 3 days after the car arrived the passenger side airbag deployed for no reason, the car would just shutoff for no reason, warning lights would go on for no reason especially the ABS lamp, power windows 3 of the 4 motors had to be replaced before the car had it's first tax renewal which it never had because the last straw came when the roof wouldn't close, there we were trying to close the roof with an approaching storm the system blew a fuse and we replaced the fuse and it blew the fuse again, we didn't bother closing the roof drove it straight to a Peugeot garage and told them to sort it out and we wanted the car returned clean and dry. After that we traded it in.

Kinda of a lottery whether you get a good one, but having said that most parts for it are quite cheap in UK since it was once produced in UK.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts on a Smart City/For2?

All I need it for is to drive to the gym and maybe shopping
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndersonsBentFoot)
    Thoughts on a Smart City/For2?

All I need it for is to drive to the gym and maybe shopping
    If it is a couple of years old, then I won't buy one. The gearbox might very suddenly require lots of expensive repairs. Many of it fails with zero warning or symptoms. The main parts that go are the clutch solenoid and the actuator that changes the gears. Sometimes the module that communicates between the engine and gearbox will also fail... none of these parts are readily available from a hellfrauds or the usual under-shed mechanic, if it fails you will need to go back to Smart garage to have it diagnosed and then fixed at franchised dealer prices.

Since you are going to drive so little, you're better off buying something else.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fiat Punto MK2 (~2000 reg)

Anyone got any stark warnings about these cars?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibletg)
    Fiat Punto MK2 (~2000 reg)

Anyone got any stark warnings about these cars?
    Mileage and engine?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herr)
    Mileage and engine?
    1.2 litre engine, 75k on the clock
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caarrr.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	537.7 KB 
ID:	138443

Whoop whoop first car.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibletg)
    1.2 litre engine, 75k on the clock
    Just make sure you always ask if the cambelt's been replaced with it having done over 60k miles.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 11, 2014
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.