Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want to buy your first car? READ HERE FOR HELP

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBritishBloke)
    Because I'd seen the amount of problems my sister had with getting a sub-£1k car as her first car. It cost more to get it past it's MOT than it was worth; whereas doing it the way I have I've got a warranty, 3 years free servicing, free AA breakdown cover and a car where everything actually works haha.

I used to drive my sisters car and thought it was a good little runner, I've only had my new car a week; but when I got into my sisters car yesterday to move it off the drive, it was absolutely horrible in comparison. The clutch was really heavy, it whined, the gearbox was clunky; ugh.

All-in-all, at the end of the 2 years this car will have cost me £6k, but I'm getting a heck of a lot more car for my money; so I'm happy
    You just need to get the car checked out properly before you buy it =/ I've had a total of about £200 work done if that since I have got it, and that was 3 and a half years ago now. Just took it on a monster trip round Cornwall and it did just fine (other than a brief clutch failure where I had to stop on a very steep hill with loads of dive gear and 5 people in my car (its a four seater)). I got all of them (well ok RAC cover not AA) when I bought my car too. It has never broken down. The biggest problem I have with it is a little rust underneath.

I just don't understand why you would spend all that money on a car that really only gets you from A to B. If I had a new valuable car I would have to be so much more careful with it. I wouldn't be able to overload it or fill it with dive gear or dogs or drive over 1 mph over potholes. Not to mention it would cost a lot more if I crashed.

Now compare that £6000 to mine, which cost me around £3000 INCLUDING INSURANCE the first two years I had it. She's a good little runner when I'm the only one in her, does 110mph down the motorway no problem (accidentally found this out the other day....I do not in any way condone driving that fast, I was just desperate for the toilet and the motorway was practically empty). Yeah ok maybe she's not as smooth to drive, but when I think about that, what, must be at least 5 grand saved that could be spent on other things (alcohol, holidays, music festivals (she takes me to those too) generally enjoying life) then I am very very very happy.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    I don't know why people keep challenging you with that car, they're Fiesta money - if you had a Fiesta people wouldn't be saying anything.
    In terms of buying one outright, yeah they're pretty much the same. But when doing it on a PCP it was ridiculous, the best I could get was a Silver Zetec S for more than what I'm paying for this high-end DS3.
    (Original post by redferry)
    You just need to get the car checked out properly before you buy it =/ I've had a total of about £200 work done if that since I have got it, and that was 3 and a half years ago now. Just took it on a monster trip round Cornwall and it did just fine (other than a brief clutch failure where I had to stop on a very steep hill with loads of dive gear and 5 people in my car (its a four seater)). I got all of them (well ok RAC cover not AA) when I bought my car too. It has never broken down. The biggest problem I have with it is a little rust underneath.

I just don't understand why you would spend all that money on a car that really only gets you from A to B. If I had a new valuable car I would have to be so much more careful with it. I wouldn't be able to overload it or fill it with dive gear or dogs or drive over 1 mph over potholes. Not to mention it would cost a lot more if I crashed.

Now compare that £6000 to mine, which cost me around £3000 INCLUDING INSURANCE the first two years I had it. She's a good little runner when I'm the only one in her, does 110mph down the motorway no problem (accidentally found this out the other day....I do not in any way condone driving that fast, I was just desperate for the toilet and the motorway was practically empty). Yeah ok maybe she's not as smooth to drive, but when I think about that, what, must be at least 5 grand saved that could be spent on other things (alcohol, holidays, music festivals (she takes me to those too) generally enjoying life) then I am very very very happy.
    Yeah I know, I guess my sister's just been unlucky with the one she picked (although she's a ridiculously aggressive driver, she revs 3k just to set off hah). I completely get what you mean, as I had the same thoughts for the two weeks before I got it, I was trying to think whether the extra money's worth it for the car; whereas if I totalled this car I'm out £15k (Although I've got GAP insurance too) and my insurance would sky rocket, or if I total an £800 car, I can just go out and buy another one the next day without having to claim it on insurance.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sockhead)
    Hey there
    Thanks for the reply

Just as you replied I returned home after placing a deposit on a used 206 LX 2003 3DR with 60K miles. Its in spotless condition xD Picking it up on wednesday
    Im getting the timing belt and water pump changed just to be safe

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with them. Hopefully I've struck a good deal here

Thanks again

How did it go then?

All well with it I hope.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought they said something like women's will go up by 80% of the difference and ours will come down by like 20% (which just means the insurance companies will make even more profit than before).

Jealous much?
    lol actually no i was being serious ive no need to be jealous of that ahahahahahha. its girls car like a mini not to mention it dont move anywhere.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bad8oy)
    lol actually no i was being serious ive no need to be jealous of that ahahahahahha. its girls car like a mini not to mention it dont move anywhere.
    You must genuinely struggle in life; since when were Mini's girl cars? What car do you own that's so amazing, exactly?

It doesn't move anywhere? It has 120hp and only weighs a tonne, and does 0-60 in under 8 seconds, yeah; definitely doesn't move anywhere.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    You must genuinely struggle in life; since when were Mini's girl cars? What car do you own that's so amazing, exactly?

It doesn't move anywhere? It has 120hp and only weighs a tonne, and does 0-60 in under 8 seconds, yeah; definitely doesn't move anywhere.
    lol ok then this is what i drive aint my exact car thou...if you really want i take pics 2mro for you but for the mean time this 1 looks pretty similar to mine.
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3795423.htm

i also could have access to a c63 amg.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bad8oy)
    lol ok then this is what i drive aint my exact car thou...if you really want i take pics 2mro for you but for the mean time this 1 looks pretty similar to mine.
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3795423.htm

i also could have access to a c63 amg.
    Wait a second, you're saying I drive a girls car; when you drive a Honda Civic... Fairly sure the stereotype of a Honda is a female pensioner; so good argument.

You have "access" to one; meaning it's your parents, meaning it's not yours - Argument invalid.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wait a second, you're saying I drive a girls car; when you drive a Honda Civic... Fairly sure the stereotype of a Honda is a female pensioner; so good argument.

You have "access" to one; meaning it's your parents, meaning it's not yours - Argument invalid.
    lol regardless of what you say a mini is a girls car and so is your battyman ds3 and i'd dust you in a race.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any advice on a first car? Im undecided bewteen a clio (which I got taught in so know how to drive and what its like), a ford Ka or a Peugeot 206? Anyone had any of these?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy-wizz)
    Anyone got any advice on a first car? Im undecided bewteen a clio (which I got taught in so know how to drive and what its like), a ford Ka or a Peugeot 206? Anyone had any of these?
    My gf had a 206, she did 160k on it before she let it go. She never had any problems with it whatsoever other than the usual wear and tear plus maintenance stuff. My family also had a 206, it was a CC but it was nothing but a pure french crap junk, plenty of issues with it from day 1 and in the end it didn't stay with us long enough to have a tax renewal even. It's one of those cars that if you're lucky you get a very good one and it is problem free. But the good side to it is problems aren't expensive to fix as parts are cheap... in UK at least.

The Clio.... you didn't mention how old it is and what version it is. Later models are essentially a reskinned Nissan Micra.

the Ford KA, it is a good first car, parts are plentiful and cheap. My neighbour drives one, never had any problems with it other than the tail-light keeps blowing a bulb. She just accepts it that the car is old and has some "quirks" plus it was built as a cheap city car so she doesn't expect it to last like the first day it rolled off the assembly line. Driven a few several times, if you can accept it for what it is, then it is an affordable was to get behind a wheel. Buy a good and well maintained one and it should remain reliable for years to come.. my neighbour's was built in 1998 and she has no plans to replace it as it still is in good enough a condition to satisfy all her driving needs. I think they are now quite cheap to buy in UK as well.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Anyone had a daewoo matiz, is it any good?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinky_pwincess)
    Hi

Anyone had a daewoo matiz, is it any good?
    It's wheels

As a first car it isn't particularly a bad car just rather underpowered and lacks safety features.

Used to be very popular as a new car for young people when it was new and was viewed as "disposable cars" and it used to have very cheap insurance on it.

0.8l versions are very underpowered and thirstier than the 1.0l versions. Is it good? There are better cars out there, personally I'd go for a Ford KA before buying one of these.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herr)
    It's wheels

As a first car it isn't particularly a bad car just rather underpowered and lacks safety features.

Used to be very popular as a new car for young people when it was new and was viewed as "disposable cars" and it used to have very cheap insurance on it.

0.8l versions are very underpowered and thirstier than the 1.0l versions. Is it good? There are better cars out there, personally I'd go for a Ford KA before buying one of these.
    Thanks for your help

I dont really like it myself tbh, would much rather get a yaris but its more expensive than a matiz. I have a gorgeous fiesta atm but insurance is too much so sadly i have to part with it and get something else

I wouldnt mind a ford ka but i was looking for a five door car so thats not an option "/
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help

I dont really like it myself tbh, would much rather get a yaris but its more expensive than a matiz. I have a gorgeous fiesta atm but insurance is too much so sadly i have to part with it and get something else

I wouldnt mind a ford ka but i was looking for a five door car so thats not an option "/
    OK, unless that Fiesta is one of those high powered or big engined ones, I doubt the insurance will be significantly different between it and a Matiz.

I am guessing that you are stuck in what is called a post-code lottery which is causing your insurance to be as high as it is.

Your best bet would most likely to be buying a car like an Austin Metro or something from the mid80s and have it insured under a classic car insurance policy which should bring it down to the hundreds rather than in the thousands range unless of course you could move homes.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herr)
    OK, unless that Fiesta is one of those high powered or big engined ones, I doubt the insurance will be significantly different between it and a Matiz.

I am guessing that you are stuck in what is called a post-code lottery which is causing your insurance to be as high as it is.

Your best bet would most likely to be buying a car like an Austin Metro or something from the mid80s and have it insured under a classic car insurance policy which should bring it down to the hundreds rather than in the thousands range unless of course you could move homes.
    Insurance on a fiesta is £1000 more than a yaris/matiz, i suppose it has something to do with my postcode because the engines not big at all: its a 1.2.

Co-op young drivers quote me £1900 on a yaris/matiz apart from that all other quotes i hav got are £5000+, my fiesta is always the most expensive
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Insurance on a fiesta is £1000 more than a yaris/matiz, i suppose it has something to do with my postcode because the engines not big at all: its a 1.2.

Co-op young drivers quote me £1900 on a yaris/matiz apart from that all other quotes i hav got are £5000+, my fiesta is always the most expensive
    Interesting... I guess under that circumstance driving the Matiz isn't a bad choice if you can't afford the Yaris.

Either way as a first car it isn't bad as long as you get used to it and know its limitations.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is a Mazda 2 a good car? Anyone had one? I'm a little worried about the insurance because it's in Group 9 (out of 50)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    okay am having lots of stuggle moving the car uphill if I have stopped at a set of traffice lights, its just so hard to put the gear in 2nd while moving uphill wanting to turn right while at the same time accelerating, the amount of times I have stalled at the traffice lights has made me so negative and just last week my instructor noticed that I needed a break and took me home thats how difficuit I found it
    has this happened to anyone else cos am finding it hard to cope with all the control what can I do about this cos I don't want it to become a habbit?

plz help me, the help will be appreciated
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzini)
    Is a Mazda 2 a good car? Anyone had one? I'm a little worried about the insurance because it's in Group 9 (out of 50)
    It's a Ford Fiesta under the skin. Not a bad car in many ways better than the Fiesta when it comes to build quality but you won't get a deal on it from the dealers the same way you would with a Ford.

If you're buying it new or nearly new then insurance shouldn't be any higher.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herr)
    It's a Ford Fiesta under the skin. Not a bad car in many ways better than the Fiesta when it comes to build quality but you won't get a deal on it from the dealers the same way you would with a Ford.

If you're buying it new or nearly new then insurance shouldn't be any higher.
    I thought Ford Fiestae (Latin plurals :awesome:) didn't have five headrests though?

Also I like the Mazda because it's a bit different

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 11, 2014
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.