The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2720
Original post by LETSJaM
Getting a second-hand car this summer would like advice. My options are one of the following:-

- Mini Cooper (Light Blue '54 reg)

OR

- Fiat 500 (Pale Blue '09 reg)

OR

- Toyota Yaris (Cerulean Blue '52 reg)

All help valued. :smile:

<3 x

Price and mileage? Spec for the 500 and Yaris?
Original post by Herr
Price and mileage? Spec for the 500 and Yaris?

All three for between £2600-£3600. Spec?

<3 x
Original post by LETSJaM
All three for between £2600-£3600. Spec?

<3 x

They mean specification (ie engine size/specific model...)
Reply 2723
Original post by LETSJaM
Getting a second-hand car this summer would like advice. My options are one of the following:-

- Mini Cooper (Light Blue '54 reg)

OR

- Fiat 500 (Pale Blue '09 reg)

OR

- Toyota Yaris (Cerulean Blue '52 reg)

All help valued. :smile:

<3 x

Be careful with the MINI, I believe some of the earlier ones had issues with the clutch and the gearbox. Not saying you shouldn't buy one, but research any recall work thoroughly and make sure it has been carried out. Inspect carefully, or bring someone who knows about cars / an independent inspection (RAC / AA) with you.

In all honesty I would go for the older and much cheaper Yaris. It will be cheap to run, cheap to buy, cheap to insure, and not the end of the world if you bump it.

Build up some no claims on it, then save up and get something really nice :smile:
Original post by 1992LP
Be careful with the MINI, I believe some of the earlier ones had issues with the clutch and the gearbox. Not saying you shouldn't buy one, but research any recall work thoroughly and make sure it has been carried out. Inspect carefully, or bring someone who knows about cars / an independent inspection (RAC / AA) with you.

In all honesty I would go for the older and much cheaper Yaris. It will be cheap to run, cheap to buy, cheap to insure, and not the end of the world if you bump it.

Build up some no claims on it, then save up and get something really nice :smile:

Thank you. Surprised about the MINI hadn't heard that about them before.
P.S. What do you think of the fiat?

<3 x
Reply 2725
Original post by sim12345
okay am having lots of stuggle moving the car uphill if I have stopped at a set of traffice lights, its just so hard to put the gear in 2nd while moving uphill wanting to turn right while at the same time accelerating, the amount of times I have stalled at the traffice lights has made me so negative and just last week my instructor noticed that I needed a break and took me home thats how difficuit I found it
has this happened to anyone else cos am finding it hard to cope with all the control what can I do about this cos I don't want it to become a habbit?

plz help me, the help will be appreciated

Put the gear in second? For a hill start?

Hill starts can be tricky you have to do one thing at a time:

Bring the clutch up just to the biting point so that the car just lifts slightly

Apply enough pressure on the accelerator to remove the "tremble" from the engine

Keep both feet still

Release the handbrake

Continue to gently bring the clutch up whilst gently pushing down on the accelerator

You can "hold" the car on the biting point without breaks, common if you are only waiting a second or something.

When you slowly start moving start dealing with what to do next - turning etc. You won't need to change to second untill you are moving properly.
Reply 2726
Original post by LETSJaM
Thank you. Surprised about the MINI hadn't heard that about them before.
P.S. What do you think of the fiat?

<3 x

It is a fairly well documented fault - but you do have to remember that they sold in huge numbers so by definition there will be a larger number of cars with problems, but I doubt the percentage of transmission failures is very high. If that makes sense!

If you do decide on the MINI, test drive it thoroughly. If there are any noises at all from the gearbox / clutch that there shouldn't be then walk. If it is fine, then by all means go ahead - not all of them will fail! Just something to be aware of :smile:

I think the 500 is supposed to be quite good, but it is much newer so will probably cost you quite a lot. Don't buy a diesel unless you are doing over 15k or so a year, stick to the petrol engines.

I honestly think a first car should be cheap, so if you bump it it doesn't matter. A Yaris will be endlessly reliable, easy to drive, cheap to run, everything you want really.

If you ran a Yaris for a couple of years to get used to driving in and run up some no claims you could get something really nice once you have 2 years NCD and are out of your probation period. That is what I did, and I am pleased I didn't throw all my money at a fairly average car at 17.

My friends who bought 2007 Clios and the like are still running about in them having spent a huge amount of money on them, while I drive a BMW 328i and have spent considerably less in the long run :smile:
Original post by 1992LP
It is a fairly well documented fault - but you do have to remember that they sold in huge numbers so by definition there will be a larger number of cars with problems, but I doubt the percentage of transmission failures is very high. If that makes sense!

If you do decide on the MINI, test drive it thoroughly. If there are any noises at all from the gearbox / clutch that there shouldn't be then walk. If it is fine, then by all means go ahead - not all of them will fail! Just something to be aware of :smile:

I think the 500 is supposed to be quite good, but it is much newer so will probably cost you quite a lot. Don't buy a diesel unless you are doing over 15k or so a year, stick to the petrol engines.

I honestly think a first car should be cheap, so if you bump it it doesn't matter. A Yaris will be endlessly reliable, easy to drive, cheap to run, everything you want really.

If you ran a Yaris for a couple of years to get used to driving in and run up some no claims you could get something really nice once you have 2 years NCD and are out of your probation period. That is what I did, and I am pleased I didn't throw all my money at a fairly average car at 17.

My friends who bought 2007 Clios and the like are still running about in them having spent a huge amount of money on them, while I drive a BMW 328i and have spent considerably less in the long run :smile:

Thank you again.

I think i'm probably going to get a yaris as that's the car my mum is really kean on and its good to know other people think it's a reliable car. :smile:

<3 x
Hi, I just passed my driving test and out of these five cars what would you recommend me get. I'm 17 from Northern Ireland just incase you need to refer to insurance.

Mini Cooper (Nov 2002 1.6 litre Manual)
http://www.usedcarsni.com/pics/1321910392c6cf9bcecd.JPG

Ford Fiesta (Jul 2003 Ford Fiesta LX 16V 1.3 litre Manual)
http://www.usedcarsni.com/pics/133209219200b3781276.JPG

Renault Clio (2002) (Sep 2002 Renault Clio EXPRESSION 16V 3 DOOR 1.2 litre Manual)
http://img.cars.cozot.co.uk/pics/uk/2011/12/29/2002-RENAULT-CLIO-1-1-EXPRESSION-16V-3D-75-BHP-2002-20111229021323.jpg

Volkswagen Polo (2002 Polo S 1.2 litre Manual)
http://is01.thegumtree.com/image/big/123713053.jpg

Peugeot 206 (2001 206 LX 1.2 litre Manual)
http://is02.thegumtree.com/image/big/123521094.jpg
Reply 2729
Original post by HSRMJ
Hi, I just passed my driving test and out of these five cars what would you recommend me get. I'm 17 from Northern Ireland just incase you need to refer to insurance.

Mini Cooper (Nov 2002 1.6 litre Manual)
http://www.usedcarsni.com/pics/1321910392c6cf9bcecd.JPG

Ford Fiesta (Jul 2003 Ford Fiesta LX 16V 1.3 litre Manual)
http://www.usedcarsni.com/pics/133209219200b3781276.JPG

Renault Clio (2002) (Sep 2002 Renault Clio EXPRESSION 16V 3 DOOR 1.2 litre Manual)
http://img.cars.cozot.co.uk/pics/uk/2011/12/29/2002-RENAULT-CLIO-1-1-EXPRESSION-16V-3D-75-BHP-2002-20111229021323.jpg

Volkswagen Polo (2002 Polo S 1.2 litre Manual)
http://is01.thegumtree.com/image/big/123713053.jpg

Peugeot 206 (2001 206 LX 1.2 litre Manual)
http://is02.thegumtree.com/image/big/123521094.jpg

If you are looking at these particular cars, could you post the original adverts?

There is a lot more to choosing a car than just seeing a photo of it! :smile:
Hey guys,
I've been driving for around a year and a bit now and I'm looking to purchase a new car as my 206 at the moment has a major electronic problem and I've got it quoted several times and it has come to be as expensive as the car is worth to fix it! Therefore I've decided to part-exchange it which I've been quoted £1,500 for..
My question to you guys is, what car do you think I should buy?
Here are a few i've been thinking about:
Vauxhall Corsa
Ford Fiesta
Ford Focus
or an audi of some sort?

Looking for a car with a bit more power as opposed to my 1.4 Peugeot 206.
However, it must be a car which is fairly low to be ensured, I'm looking for around £1,500 for my 2nd year insurance.
So what size engine roughly could I get for this price and what car?

Thanks in advance!
i am looking for a good, reliable (prefer something Japanese but other reliable cars are ok) 5 dr hatchback or 4 dr saloon. Should have decent mpg (40+ ideally). I need to be able to fit 2-3 suitcases so not too small. It should be max a 1.8l unless it has good fuel economy and isn't in a high insurance bracket.

Budget is £3000.
Any suggestions?
Reply 2732
Original post by Ihategcse
i am looking for a good, reliable (prefer something Japanese but other reliable cars are ok) 5 dr hatchback or 4 dr saloon. Should have decent mpg (40+ ideally). I need to be able to fit 2-3 suitcases so not too small. It should be max a 1.8l unless it has good fuel economy and isn't in a high insurance bracket.

Budget is £3000.
Any suggestions?

High insurance bracket generally means nothing btw
honda accord /civic 1.6 probably meets your needs.
Or you could get something like a 2004 Accord 2.0 for around that money, don't be put off by high mileages
Could get a nice mondeo 1.8 mk3.......or go for a 2.0 litre TDCI, doubt there will be much difference in insurance and better fuel consumption and more power.
Lexus IS200 is well within your budget, something like an 02 model.

Seriously engine size doesn't matter hugely. Get something like a late series BMW E39, or audi a4 (01/02 will be in your budget).
Get something that's not popular with young drivers and the insurance will be cheaper.
Reply 2733
Original post by ShiFty Kid
Hey guys,
I've been driving for around a year and a bit now and I'm looking to purchase a new car as my 206 at the moment has a major electronic problem and I've got it quoted several times and it has come to be as expensive as the car is worth to fix it! Therefore I've decided to part-exchange it which I've been quoted £1,500 for..
Vauxhall Corsa
Ford Fiesta
Ford Focus
or an audi of some sort?

However, it must be a car which is fairly low to be ensured, I'm looking for around £1,500 for my 2nd year insurance.

Thanks in advance!

I'd recommend either the focus or the fiesta. For that price you could get a decent ford focus 1.6 (what i've got) or a fiesta zetec s (both roughly 2002 year-wise). My Focus 1.6 is modified and its about £1500 a yeat to insure (it'll be cheaper if its not modified) and its more or less the ideal car for my 2nd year of driving as its relatively fast, ok on fuel and reasonable cost wise.
1.6 3 door astras are pretty safe bets as well if you want to give them a look.

Why neg?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2735
How much are you going to spend on top of your swapper price?

Personally, I'd go and test drive a few things. Being comfortable is the most important thing after all!
Hey guys,
Vauxhall Corsa
Ford Fiesta
Ford Focus
or an audi of some sort?

Thanks in advance!

£1500 for second year insurance? That seems a lot. Also, forget about power increase, for it to be worth it you'll need to spend a lot more on insurance/car than that for a 1.6 or 2.0. If you want cheap power get a motorcycle and be as fast as Ferraris/Lambos. An Audi would cost you an absolute fortune.

I have a VHall Corsa 1.2 which will sit at 80 or 90 if you need it to. All of these small/cheap cars are much of a muchness.
Original post by Sammydemon
£1500 for second year insurance? That seems a lot. Also, forget about power increase, for it to be worth it you'll need to spend a lot more on insurance/car than that for a 1.6 or 2.0. If you want cheap power get a motorcycle and be as fast as Ferraris/Lambos. An Audi would cost you an absolute fortune.

I have a VHall Corsa 1.2 which will sit at 80 or 90 if you need it to. All of these small/cheap cars are much of a muchness.

I can get a 1.8 VHall Astra - 2005 Reg - 45k Mileage for £3,200.
I've checked the insurance and I can get insured on it for £1,400 for the year with my parents on it as named drivers.
Sound good?
Sorry, forgot to mention I'm looking to spend at least another £1,500-£2,000 on top of my £1,500 that I will receive when I trade my car in.
Don't get a car. Feck sake wise up. Why in the name of good Jesus would you spend thousands on insurance. Imagine how much that would pay towards tuition fees. Pay for the bus or get a motorbike.
I can get a 1.8 VHall Astra - 2005 Reg - 45k Mileage for £3,200.
I've checked the insurance and I can get insured on it for £1,400 for the year with my parents on it as named drivers.
Sound good?
Sorry, forgot to mention I'm looking to spend at least another £1,500-£2,000 on top of my £1,500 that I will receive when I trade my car in.

I'm sure you can find an Astra cheaper than that, they are bargain bin cars, the same with Vectras. I suppose the insurance isn't too bad, my second year on Corsa was £800.

Latest