The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2900
Original post by ZeeAli
thats my surname! :L haha :P

ok.. is zee short for like zeenat or something?
Reply 2901
Original post by naman
ok.. is zee short for like zeenat or something?

zeenat? no zainab lol where did that come from :s
Reply 2902
Original post by ZeeAli
zeenat? no zainab lol where did that come from :s

it came from the 'zee'. lol it was the only name i could think of!
Reply 2903
Original post by naman
it came from the 'zee'. lol it was the only name i could think of!

aw ok lol my cousins called zeenat :P
Hi all,

Would you buy a car from a dodgey dealer?

I would take precautions such as getting the car inspected, checking the paper work, HPI clear etc

I have found a nice golf here

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201230479674628/sort/default/usedcars/price-to/4000/transmission/automatic/model/golf/make/volkswagen/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/60/page/1/postcode/bb120az?logcode=p

But the car dealership used to trade under a different name and I have come across reviews like

Rip off merchants yes, but worse...a general leering attitude which made one feel rather uncomfortable, in fact i felt intimidated by these gorrilla-like men. I felt i was stepping back in time to a period when women were second class citizens and men mere meanderthals. Their customer service skills were dubious and general manner atrocious. I have never been spoken to in such an uncouth manner and my experience with Cheshire Small Cars has dented my sense of independence somewhat. Being a single-parent mother it is difficult to make decisons on such matters as this and i would certainly tell others not to use this company. In a competetive market, these guys offer no competition.

Its hard to find golfs in condition that I like up north, the good ones all seem to be down south - so what would you do, steer clear or chance it?
P.S. I spoke to them on the phone, they seem alright.

Found out the milleage 60000, service history (every 5-6k miles) etc

Everything seems fine - will test drive this weekend, get it inspected by RAC the week after before buying it.

Im just worried that if theres a fault the inpsection misses Im gonna have a tough time dealing with them
My first car should be very much comfortable luxurious and fuel consumption.
Hey all

I'm looking for a first car that won't cost the world to insure. I've heard classic insurance (Footman James?) is very reasonable so I'm looking for something older but with character - I've looked at possibly a Chevette but cheap ones are projects/scrap and ones in good condition cost a lot, no real middle ground. Also looked for a Hillman Imp, though my mum had one as her first car and told me to avoid them because they always overheat.

I've seen it crop up from time to time but I don't particularly want to go down the Spitfire route because even though it'd be cool, I live in Lancashire, it's always raining.

So yeah, any thoughts?

Reply 2908
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Hey all

I'm looking for a first car that won't cost the world to insure. I've heard classic insurance (Footman James?) is very reasonable so I'm looking for something older but with character - I've looked at possibly a Chevette but cheap ones are projects/scrap and ones in good condition cost a lot, no real middle ground. Also looked for a Hillman Imp, though my mum had one as her first car and told me to avoid them because they always overheat.

I've seen it crop up from time to time but I don't particularly want to go down the Spitfire route because even though it'd be cool, I live in Lancashire, it's always raining.

So yeah, any thoughts?

Footman James stopped their classic car insurance for under 25s as far as i know. Classic car insurance used to work for young drivers. Cheaper for me to insure a brand new car than a classic one, cheapest I got for a Mini 1000 was £2200. Whereas if I go with a Black Box insurer, I can get a 1.8 Engine for less.

Also unless you are into mechanics, the upbringing costs too much, don't forget you have to list any mods that didn't come as stock, normally a majority off the car if you buy a renovated one, or if not you normally need to add your own mods.
Original post by Jaayson
Footman James stopped their classic car insurance for under 25s as far as i know. Classic car insurance used to work for young drivers. Cheaper for me to insure a brand new car than a classic one, cheapest I got for a Mini 1000 was £2200. Whereas if I go with a Black Box insurer, I can get a 1.8 Engine for less.

Also unless you are into mechanics, the upbringing costs too much, don't forget you have to list any mods that didn't come as stock, normally a majority off the car if you buy a renovated one, or if not you normally need to add your own mods.

Hmm, I just tried Lancaster and got a quote for a 1977 Triumph Dolomite for £703.70. That is cheap by any measure :eek:

I'd rather not go with a Black Box insurer as I don't want to be accountable to them as to when or where I drive, that's my business.

I'd buy a classic car on the proviso that it's properly maintained, I fully expect to have to give it more attention than the average Fiesta or Corsa.
hey guys, been looking at a car, Hyundai Amica 2001 35000 miles, 5 door, 1.0 engine, £990. What do yous think? Looks like insurance will be £1300 or so but not sure. I'm a bit put off because its quite an ugly car (sounds stupid I know :P) Should I go for it? the mileage is amazing, its too good if you know what I mean? And should I buy a car that I hate?
Reply 2911
Original post by ruby321
hey guys, been looking at a car, Hyundai Amica 2001 35000 miles, 5 door, 1.0 engine, £990. What do yous think? Looks like insurance will be £1300 or so but not sure. I'm a bit put off because its quite an ugly car (sounds stupid I know :P) Should I go for it? the mileage is amazing, its too good if you know what I mean? And should I buy a car that I hate?

Your right, that is an ugly car...

The Triumph Dolomite on the other hand actually looks pretty decent. Many older cars seem to have a really good look about them, and its took me a long while to actually appreciate that. You would certainly look different driving something older.

I'd love for example an older Saab 900 Turbo
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kage
Your right, that is an ugly car...

The Triumph Dolomite on the other hand actually looks pretty decent. Many older cars seem to have a really good look about them, and its took me a long while to actually appreciate that. You would certainly look different driving something older.

I'd love for example an older Saab 900 Turbo

I know right? My mum keeps pressuring me to buy it, because apparently its more "reliable" and she doesn't want to be the one who has to help me out when my high mileage and nice looking car breaks down every 5 mins... (but I want a yaris or peagout for cheeeap :'( )

The triumph dolomite does have this vintage look about it, but it will be annoying to park as its long :smile: lol btw I don't want to buy anything older than 2000 and my budget is like £1500, maybe less.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2913
Hmm, I just tried Lancaster and got a quote for a 1977 Triumph Dolomite for £703.70. That is cheap by any measure :eek:

I'd rather not go with a Black Box insurer as I don't want to be accountable to them as to when or where I drive, that's my business.

I'd buy a classic car on the proviso that it's properly maintained, I fully expect to have to give it more attention than the average Fiesta or Corsa.

Fair enough. As long as you have some kind of income to pay for any mishaps that may be thrown your way. Go for it.

£703.70 is very cheap. That as a main driver?

I can understand your scepticism with the whole Black Box insurance. I wasn't so sure, but as I'll be driving for college and back, then into town once or twice a month, not much can really happen.

Best of luck with it all.
Reply 2914

Also just realised, your 22. Should do ok compared to myself, at 17, classic car insurers didn't want to know.
Hey everyone,

Just wanted some pin pointers and some tips regarding buying my first car. I don't really know too much regarding what to expect and what to buy. I'm planning on going tomorrow to take a look at a few Ford Fiesta's or Renault Clios (those are the two I am deciding between). Besides the price and mileage it comes with, is there anything I should ask or look out for? I'm really new to this, I don't really know what I'm supposed to be looking for or expecting.

There are so many things to look out for when buying a car but generally you should look for a car with good service history, a long MOT and tax preferably. If you can take someone who knows about cars that would be a major bonus. are you looking to buy from a dealership or a private seller? I recently helped my girlfriend look for a Clio, we viewed loads of lemons but managed to find an immaculate one eventually.
Original post by StaleMilk
There are so many things to look out for when buying a car but generally you should look for a car with good service history, a long MOT and tax preferably. If you can take someone who knows about cars that would be a major bonus. are you looking to buy from a dealership or a private seller? I recently helped my girlfriend look for a Clio, we viewed loads of lemons but managed to find an immaculate one eventually.

Dealership.

I'm tryna figure out two cars

Renault Clio - 2009, 1.2 litre, 33,000 miles, for £5,500
or
Ford Fiesta - 2009, 1.25 litre, 30,000 miles for £7,000
Because the mileage on both of them is so low there is very little chance of anything being wrong with them mechanically. Without more detailed information on them I can't comment really, the choice is yours.
Original post by stargirl63
Dealership.

I'm tryna figure out two cars

Renault Clio - 2009, 1.2 litre, 33,000 miles, for £5,500
or
Ford Fiesta - 2009, 1.25 litre, 30,000 miles for £7,000

I personally would go for the Fiesta, I have experience with both Renaults and Fords (I say I but I mean we, they have been owned by my parents)
Obviously the Ford is more expensive so if price is important then go for the Clio, at that age and mileage you wont have any problems with either for quite a while. Renaults are pretty renown for electrical faults especially windows and central locking, I have also found that Clio insurance is fairly expensive (about £800 with one insurer which is quite a lot!)

Latest

Trending

Trending