Scroll to see replies

Co-op young drivers?
A micra :colondollar:
Reply 2942
Lol no micras don't think that's safe for motorway driving

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Camoxide
Co-op young drivers?

not available in my area sadly :frown: wouldn't have minded the box!
Original post by Jiraya Sama
Going to buy a P reg Nissan Micra 3 door for £200. Tesco insurance comes out as £1300 comprehensive even though I have only passed a month ago. Any advice as to what I should be looking out for when buying a car/getting insurance for the car.

Thanks in advance

Long MOT, for really old cars get a mechanic to look at it, may need timing belt/chain replaced and that costs a fair bit! I think the micras have a timing chain so should be good till 150,000 app but dont quote me on that! Also rust is a big issue, as the car may not pass its MOT next time so you have to check under the car, the old 3 door micras are known for getting rust there. I'm jealous of your insurance btw, I'm a girl its meant to be less... Not fair lol :'(
Take care of your car like a child because even car needs servicing and maintenance while driving.
Reply 2946
Wise decision.
Micra is a much better car than a corsa. It's not unusual to see a micra fly down the outside lane of the motorway at 90+mph.
So long as it's rust free they are mechanically pretty bullet proof.

I think I'd have made the same choice. Insurance will be irrelevent in a couple years anyway, by which time you'll have swapped your car anyway.
Original post by ruby321
Long MOT, for really old cars get a mechanic to look at it, may need timing belt/chain replaced and that costs a fair bit! I think the micras have a timing chain so should be good till 150,000 app but dont quote me on that! Also rust is a big issue, as the car may not pass its MOT next time so you have to check under the car, the old 3 door micras are known for getting rust there. I'm jealous of your insurance btw, I'm a girl its meant to be less... Not fair lol :'(

You expect your insurance to be less because your a girl? and you would call that not fair? Muhahaha, God is good :biggrin:
Reply 2948
Corsa

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by JC.
Wise decision.
Micra is a much better car than a corsa. It's not unusual to see a micra fly down the outside lane of the motorway at 90+mph.
So long as it's rust free they are mechanically pretty bullet proof.

I think I'd have made the same choice. Insurance will be irrelevent in a couple years anyway, by which time you'll have swapped your car anyway.

Hope so! Yeah your right, its just this year I have to really bite the bullet, I'm so glad I saved up some of my loan lol. Went and got it today, I love it. It's quite girly because of the colour but I don't mind too much (or at least at the minute I don't think I do) Hopefully it wont give me too much bother with repairs and such, going to get I think next week to be serviced and holding my breath. :s-smilie: And I have insurance and tax to sort out too... and then I need to book and pass my test(This driving business is not just expensive, its also really stressful!)
(edited 11 years ago)
You expect your insurance to be less because your a girl? and you would call that not fair? Muhahaha, God is good :biggrin:

LOL we're more careful drivers! :colondollar: Still, is £1675 fair? :'( wehhh.
Original post by ruby321
LOL we're more careful drivers! :colondollar: Still, is £1675 fair? :'( wehhh.

Women are more careful drivers? LMFAO ! I can name ten situations where the people nearly running me over are women drivers :biggrin: £1675 quite cheap, I put 2 post codes down for my insurance, one came up with £15,000.00 (yes, 15 grand) and the other for £1,100. Its the area.
Women are more careful drivers? LMFAO ! I can name ten situations where the people nearly running me over are women drivers :biggrin: £1675 quite cheap, I put 2 post codes down for my insurance, one came up with £15,000.00 (yes, 15 grand) and the other for £1,100. Its the area.

£15,000 was the cheapest?! Whaaaat. Ok be glad you don't live there! HA! And I find it hard to believe that it was women that were running you over, you sure you don't need your eyes checked :wink:

I know apparently I have a bad area? :frown: Also its the car! Other cars I can get insured for £1200, but I already bought this one so not much I can do...
Reply 2953
Original post by ruby321
Hope so! Yeah your right, its just this year I have to really bite the bullet, I'm so glad I saved up some of my loan lol. Went and got it today, I love it. It's quite girly because of the colour but I don't mind too much (or at least at the minute I don't think I do) Hopefully it wont give me too much bother with repairs and such, going to get I think next week to be serviced and holding my breath. :s-smilie: And I have insurance and tax to sort out too... and then I need to book and pass my test(This driving business is not just expensive, its also really stressful!)

I don't see what it matters what colour it is.
I've had all sorts of colour cars. If you can think of it I've probably had it.

My advice is drive what you want. What other folk think is irrelevent as they havent got to live with it, eh?
Hmm, is it socially acceptable for a guy to drive a Ford Ka or Nissan Micra (pre-2002)?
Reply 2955
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Hmm, is it socially acceptable for a guy to drive a Ford Ka or Nissan Micra (pre-2002)?

I drive a Nissan Micra K11c (2002). Damn fine car for your first, and rather roomy too.

I actually think the original Micra's before the uplift (i.e k11) actually look better than the K11c I have.

Pre-uplift:
http://www.hayes0.co.uk/mike/images/micra/Mike%204r.jpg

After uplift:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KtOEsggF1tY/TSwTinnZSdI/AAAAAAAASbE/sJYLwL5D-Vw/s1600/Nissan+Micra+K11.jpg

The grill looks better on the older one in my opinion
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ruby321
£15,000 was the cheapest?! Whaaaat. Ok be glad you don't live there! HA! And I find it hard to believe that it was women that were running you over, you sure you don't need your eyes checked :wink:

I know apparently I have a bad area? :frown: Also its the car! Other cars I can get insured for £1200, but I already bought this one so not much I can do...

Yeah, my parents address was £15,000. Most likely due to being the highest crime rate area in England. Nah, when someone is trying to kill me with a big metal piece of equipment, I make sure I am using my eyes properly to dodge :biggrin:

What car do you have? I don't know where I will get the £1200.00 for the insurance let alone buy a good car that's why my car is like £220. Small Nissan Micra 1 ltr, I don't mind about the image :biggrin:
Whenever you buy a new car always make sure that you have an insurance of that car. Then always check your eyes before you drive on the road.Take the help of driving instructor and then move your car.
Yeah, my parents address was £15,000. Most likely due to being the highest crime rate area in England. Nah, when someone is trying to kill me with a big metal piece of equipment, I make sure I am using my eyes properly to dodge :biggrin:

What car do you have? I don't know where I will get the £1200.00 for the insurance let alone buy a good car that's why my car is like £220. Small Nissan Micra 1 ltr, I don't mind about the image :biggrin:

Snap! I have the newer model though. I was so close to buying the older one but they were the same price except for insurance obviously... Haha I don't think about the image either, its a car I need it to get from A to B! See I bought a good car instead of a crap one because I'd like to sell it in the future. I could get most of my money back on it as the milage is really low when I bought it! (well I hope I can.) But I suppose if you spend only £220 and it lasts you a few years you wouldn't mind if it goes to scrappage lol :smile: (you may even get more from scrappage) I guess I'm just paranoid that cheap or high milage cars will brake down on me the first week :s-smilie:

I've been thinking about it for few days and now really considering it selling it and getting one with cheaper insurance. Insurance is such a waste, it all goes down the drain :frown: I guess I'll just have to think of it as if its "rent money" as I didn't live out last year.
Original post by ruby321
Snap! I have the newer model though. I was so close to buying the older one but they were the same price except for insurance obviously... Haha I don't think about the image either, its a car I need it to get from A to B! See I bought a good car instead of a crap one because I'd like to sell it in the future. I could get most of my money back on it as the milage is really low when I bought it! (well I hope I can.) But I suppose if you spend only £220 and it lasts you a few years you wouldn't mind if it goes to scrappage lol :smile: (you may even get more from scrappage) I guess I'm just paranoid that cheap or high milage cars will brake down on me the first week :s-smilie:

I've been thinking about it for few days and now really considering it selling it and getting one with cheaper insurance. Insurance is such a waste, it all goes down the drain :frown: I guess I'll just have to think of it as if its "rent money" as I didn't live out last year.

That's why I would always prefer to pay cheaper insurance. Insurance is insurance, just money which is going to be wasted. I know people say just in case but I am a careful/will be driving carefully.

Rethinking of buying the £220 car thought, apparently a "MOT" will not be done prior to being sold to me so decided not to buy it. Might spend the "insurance + car money" on the new Iphone 5 :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending