The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2980
Original post by AaronShort555
405307_3807441103516_244460412_n.jpgHey everyone, this is my first car, a 1970 morris minor :smile: £754 to insure, fun to drive, gets good looks, whats not to like?
apart from the reliability and fuel economy haha

That is brilliant, well done for gone for something a bit different!

Even if it does break down a bit, they are very simple to work on so you should be able to do most jobs yourself, and you will learn a lot about how engines work!

Congratulations, I love that :smile:
Reply 2981
Try to get something made near the year 2000 (it will be hard with that budget though...), with minimum safety, radio, AirCon, etc.
Also check that the brand is popular and will have cheap spare parts and service because you don't want to end up paying a whole load just for that. Low miles is a bonus, but at that budget, it's hard. A car that has good mileage is also useful if you don't want to pay too much for fuel.

Brands such as Toyota, Ford, BMW (old ones), Volkswagen and Renault are all reliable and drive solidly enough.

Hope the advice helps!

Good luck!

Edit: the Peugeot 206 model is also great and there is every chance that it could come under your budget.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2982
Original post by mbutt94
Hi

Having trouble deciding between a few cars for a first buy.

2008 1.2 vw polo £4000 35000 miles
2009 1.4 ford fiesta £7000 20000 miles
2007 1.4 vw golf £7000 40000 miles

Would it be worth spending extra on a 1.4 polo instead of the 1.2?

That Fiesta is way too much money. Don't bother with it. Add a bit more and you can buy a brand new VW Up!

The Polo, is the 1.2l a 6v or 12v engine? The 6v version is too underpowered for this car, plus it is also fairly stripped down of a lot of kit usually. There are several versions of the 1.4l, is it a FSi, 1.4l 75PS or 1.4l 100PS. Early model FSi models had issues with the injectors and fuel pump in addition they also gave problems with carbon buildup at the valve seats. The 75PS version is quite thirsty but it is one of the most reliable VW engines out there and it is also cheap to maintain, only thing is if I'm not wrong the tax can be quite high on it annually. The 100PS model is obviously the nice one to have but am sure it will bring forth a penalty when it comes to the insurance. I'd say stick with a 1.2 12v Polo it is a better option for a starter car.

As for the VW Golf, the 1.4l is too small an engine for a car this size, it will struggle when you drive on any hills or when the car is loaded up with passengers. Plus the Mk5 Golfs weren't fantastic cars.
Reply 2983
405307_3807441103516_244460412_n.jpgHey everyone, this is my first car, a 1970 morris minor :smile: £754 to insure, fun to drive, gets good looks, whats not to like?

Congrats, nice car, long ago a Morris Minor was my first car as well though mine was a very poor condition convertible from 1949.... now I'm in the midst of restoring one to it's original condition, alas I'm still trying to catalogue it and find the parts required for it.
Why not go and look at a few garages and see what's available. Don't just go and buy a car at random, but pick out a few that you think might be suitable. You can then get insurance quotes and do a bit more research.

Also think about how much you'll use the car, a diesel might be more economical but it'll cost more to buy in the first place. If you're only doing a low millage then the petrol car will be cheaper over all. Also modern diesels are generally less robust then their petrol counterparts.

As a shot in the dark I'd say a Focus would probably be a good choice, there's a lot out there to choose from. So you can afford to be picky about condition, colour and spec.
Reply 2985
[INDENT]£2k is a decent budget for your first car, but you've got to choose carefully. There are plenty of rubbishy cars on the market which sound appealing enough, but the maintenance can get quite expensive.

I'm not sure on the insurances prices, but there is already a thread about it ( a bit old): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=501355

Essentially, your insurance will look at a few things:

-Your driving record
-The type of car you own (powerful or economical)
- The lifestyle you lead (travelling a lot or little, in the city roads or motorways)

These and other factors will affect the quotes they will give you. Search around for a good deal

Hope this helps!
BTW, ask friends and family members about this because I'm sure many would have gone through this process :wink:[/INDENT]
I friend of mine got a 1999 1.6 golf for £3,500 from a car sales shop near by and insured for £2000
Brilliant car been perfectly good 4 years now

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)

That looks fantastic :smile:
In that case get a Trabant:tongue:

Actually that makes it easier. Because you can cut out all the obscure cars and just stick all the bog standard Ford, VWs, Peugeots, Citroens or if you must Vauxhalls.

Bare in mind VW also includes Skoda and Seat.
I get a feeling I'm going to keep saying this to people in this thread - but:

Astra Mk4 (1.4 16v petrol if you want to skim a few quid off tax and insurance). Large boot for the size of the car (can get an estate if you need more space), acceptable size for medium-distance journeys. You've already mentioned a Focus and this is probably the next best thing (but probably a bit cheaper).

Mine needed hardly anything doing in the few years I owned it and if I hadn't been an idiot and ignored the timing belt interval it would still be running now.

Given the amount you pay for it, I'd say AA cover is definitely worth it
Reply 2990
Original post by TheFatController
I get a feeling I'm going to keep saying this to people in this thread - but:

Astra Mk4 (1.4 16v petrol if you want to skim a few quid off tax and insurance). Large boot for the size of the car (can get an estate if you need more space), acceptable size for medium-distance journeys. You've already mentioned a Focus and this is probably the next best thing (but probably a bit cheaper).

Mine needed hardly anything doing in the few years I owned it and if I hadn't been an idiot and ignored the timing belt interval it would still be running now.

Given the amount you pay for it, I'd say AA cover is definitely worth it

Dont these have the rubbish ecotec engines?
Original post by emznjav
Dont these have the rubbish ecotec engines?

They're Ecotec yeah - am only speaking from experience but mine started on the button every time. Ecotec engines are known for rigorous timing belt intervals and I neglected that at my peril.

Not sure what you've heard that's rubbish about them, although I have heard that they can be more hassle than the 1.6 8v to work on if things do go wrong
Reply 2992
Original post by Herr
That Fiesta is way too much money. Don't bother with it. Add a bit more and you can buy a brand new VW Up!

The Polo, is the 1.2l a 6v or 12v engine? The 6v version is too underpowered for this car, plus it is also fairly stripped down of a lot of kit usually. There are several versions of the 1.4l, is it a FSi, 1.4l 75PS or 1.4l 100PS. Early model FSi models had issues with the injectors and fuel pump in addition they also gave problems with carbon buildup at the valve seats. The 75PS version is quite thirsty but it is one of the most reliable VW engines out there and it is also cheap to maintain, only thing is if I'm not wrong the tax can be quite high on it annually. The 100PS model is obviously the nice one to have but am sure it will bring forth a penalty when it comes to the insurance. I'd say stick with a 1.2 12v Polo it is a better option for a starter car.

As for the VW Golf, the 1.4l is too small an engine for a car this size, it will struggle when you drive on any hills or when the car is loaded up with passengers. Plus the Mk5 Golfs weren't fantastic cars.

Thanks for this reply, extremely useful. The 1.2 polo which I was looking at is a 6v so it could be quite underpowered.

I was also thinking about the new generation polo; 2010 1.2 12v going for just under £7k. Would that be a better option than an older VW Golf?
Reply 2993
Original post by mbutt94
Thanks for this reply, extremely useful. The 1.2 polo which I was looking at is a 6v so it could be quite underpowered.

I was also thinking about the new generation polo; 2010 1.2 12v going for just under £7k. Would that be a better option than an older VW Golf?

What do you need the car for ?

Reply 2994
Driving in town really and driving to university 50 miles away once every 3 weeks or so.
Reply 2995
Original post by mbutt94
Driving in town really and driving to university 50 miles away once every 3 weeks or so.

Are u doing medicine bro ?

Reply 2996
Original post by mbutt94

The 2010 model of the VW Polo was a significant improvement over the previous generation, the 1.2l 12v engine went through some major improvements and the build quality improved a lot from previous versions. I would say it is definitely a better car to buy than the Mk5 Golf especially if you do not have any requirements for space.
My first car, I pad £700 but my insurance was £2000

Didn't really shop around for cars or insurance much, more money than sense at the time.

My first car was a Mk1 Fiat Punto S reg, fair play to the car, it had its problems but it was a good runner, I upgraded to my second in 2010 which is my current Renault Clio, not had any trouble with it, insurance is now only around £800 with an accident against me in 2011.

Insurance is the biggest killer for younger drivers, when I had my accident in 2011 (Only hit the Front N/S Door) the claim was about £1400? Think they totally milked it, my insurance shot up to £220 a month, then the last 4 months of the policy they decided to up my premium and I ended up paying £286 a month insurance, glad those days are over now and touch wood, I won't pay more than what I am paying now.
Passed last month. Went to car giant. Saved up 6 Gs and my dad helped me out a bit due to my bday being quite close. Bought a 1.4 Golf 09 Mk6 ! ****ing brilliant car. Insurance for me and my dad ( Dad being named driver ) - 2200 on Zurich for the year. Paying insurance by myself. Been told it will go down by 600 quid next year !
Original post by G550NDH
Passed last month. Went to car giant. Saved up 6 Gs and my dad helped me out a bit due to my bday being quite close. Bought a 1.4 Golf 09 Mk6 ! ****ing brilliant car. Insurance for me and my dad ( Dad being named driver ) - 2200 on Zurich for the year. Paying insurance by myself. Been told it will go down by 600 quid next year !

Who told you it will go down by £600 next year? They obviously know nothing.

You cannot predict the insurance markets and you cannot say "it will" anything could happen, someone could hit you, you could hit someone, premiums could increase. But tidy first car - Insurance is such a bitch

Latest

Trending

Trending