The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3820
Original post by dhr90
Maybe it's the way you drive?

Posted from TSR Mobile

But it's not though, I change gear early and I always drive in a high gear to minimise revs, I even "coast" once I reach 30mph to avoid using fuel and I brake slowly and in time to avoid stopping and accelerating too much.. it's just urban areas tbh, I can do about 60mpg while on the motorway because my acceleration is relatively constant..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moksud
But it's not though, I change gear early and I always drive in a high gear to minimise revs, I even "coast" once I reach 30mph to avoid using fuel and I brake slowly and in time to avoid stopping and accelerating too much.. it's just urban areas tbh, I can do about 60mpg while on the motorway because my acceleration is relatively constant..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not to mention the car is old now.......a micra is a city car, so easily get high mpg there but on motorways and faster road speeds it will do worse.

Well the way I was told, once it reaches 2,000 revs, change gear, but make sure the rev isn't too low either.
Bought my first car last week, ended up buying one from Arnold Clark. A Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 sxi 5 door, 2011, only 9500 miles on the clock for 5k. The below is how it looks, not mine, but it looks the same. Happy with how it drives

Original post by lombardo
Bought my first car last week, ended up buying one from Arnold Clark. A Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 sxi 5 door, 2011, only 9500 miles on the clock for 5k. The below is how it looks, not mine, but it looks the same. Happy with how it drives

Nice one !

Did you buy outright or on finance?

Im looking for my first car and its proving challenging !
Not long passed my test and looking for a bit of advice.

Looking for a used car around £1500 , does anyone know of any reliable dealers around the Glasgow area ?

Did see a car privately on sunday but it was dodgy so it has put me off buying privately and neither do i want to be conned into a finance deal . Have looked on Auto trader but wondering if anyone has first hand experiences ?
Original post by scott125
Nice one !

Did you buy outright or on finance?

Im looking for my first car and its proving challenging !

Bought it on finance, drives very good. Originally paying over 4 years but will pay it off quicker, probably 2 years.
Not long passed my test and looking for a bit of advice.

Looking for a used car around £1500 , does anyone know of any reliable dealers around the Glasgow area ?

Did see a car privately on sunday but it was dodgy so it has put me off buying privately and neither do i want to be conned into a finance deal . Have looked on Auto trader but wondering if anyone has first hand experiences ?

Dealers can be dodgy as well.................I think you need to simply collate a list of potential cars and whittle it down to a few you want to get. And have some one with you who knows about cars so they can do all the little things you need to do when checking over a car before buying as well as haggle a bit.

There are times where cars are being sold at a great price for a genuine reason, seen it here and there and they get sold very quickly, within a day or two.
Original post by Iqbal007
Dealers can be dodgy as well.................I think you need to simply collate a list of potential cars and whittle it down to a few you want to get. And have some one with you who knows about cars so they can do all the little things you need to do when checking over a car before buying as well as haggle a bit.

There are times where cars are being sold at a great price for a genuine reason, seen it here and there and they get sold very quickly, within a day or two.

Got it down to three models .
Clio , Fiesta and Polo.

Problem is determining if the car is in good condition and will be reliable !

Another option is putting £1500 towards a car on finance .

Lot to think about !
Clio , Fiesta and Polo.

Lot to think about !

Personally don't like clio's.
Fiestas are good cars, supposed to be one of the best hatchbacks to drive.
02 plate onwards model is good, good reliability and space in particular, bigger than the golf at the time when it came up.

Pretty sure you can Google a guide on car buying and what to check. Also Google each car as they all have problem areas.

Also check the Skoda Fabia, its a polo underneath.
Clio , Fiesta and Polo.

Lot to think about !

Don't make the same mistake I have in buying a Clio, amazing car when it works, unfortunately the garage is it's second home.
If I was you I'd go for 4th Gen Golf.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Iqbal007
Personally don't like clio's.
Fiestas are good cars, supposed to be one of the best hatchbacks to drive.
02 plate onwards model is good, good reliability and space in particular, bigger than the golf at the time when it came up.

Pretty sure you can Google a guide on car buying and what to check. Also Google each car as they all have problem areas.

Also check the Skoda Fabia, its a polo underneath.

Yeah , the fiestas look solid ! Only the 52 -53 plates fall into my budget. Other model ive considered are the Toyota Yaris.

Thanks for the advice!
Original post by mattcam94
Don't make the same mistake I have in buying a Clio, amazing car when it works, unfortunately the garage is it's second home.
If I was you I'd go for 4th Gen Golf.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seen one Clio and just didn't feel right and clutch was worn!
Ah have considered that Golf !

Thanks
Yeah , the fiestas look solid ! Only the 52 -53 plates fall into my budget. Other model ive considered are the Toyota Yaris.

Thanks for the advice!

When I said 02 plate onwards I meant about the Polo's :smile:

52-53 plate isn't too bad to be far, as long as its been maintained properly, etc it would be a great first car.
Yaris is a good car, very reliable..........a 5 door is the better option as its more spacious as space can be limited in terms of leg space and boot space. Plus I would say aim for the more powerful engines on offer for them as well. Personally wouldn't get a 1st generation Yaris, too small for my liking.

But definitely check the Fabia.......Also maybe the Toyota Corolla, 02 plate onwards is good looking.
Guys does this seem a good price for a Hondo Civic that has done 90000 miles? Should I get it as my first car? Need advice.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201409297789120/usedcars?logcode=visc

Another option is this Fiesta:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201409137374392/usedcars?logcode=visc

I don't quite like it as much but it's obviously got great reviews as a first car. If I got the Honda I'd probably care about taking care of it more.

Hondo in total will cost £5000 with insurance tax etc, and the Fiesta about £3000.

P.S. I looked at the form but there were loads of questions that weren't relevant. I just need a car to commute to university, social stuff and to make it easier to get to the gym, and I don't want something that looks like junk (black's my favourite colour too, though I've heard it is much harder to keep your car clean).
Original post by MagicDust
Guys does this seem a good price for a Hondo Civic that has done 90000 miles? Should I get it as my first car? Need advice.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201409297789120/usedcars?logcode=visc

Another option is this Fiesta:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201409137374392/usedcars?logcode=visc

I don't quite like it as much but it's obviously got great reviews as a first car. If I got the Honda I'd probably care about taking care of it more.

Hondo in total will cost £5000 with insurance tax etc, and the Fiesta about £3000.

P.S. I looked at the form but there were loads of questions that weren't relevant. I just need a car to commute to university, social stuff and to make it easier to get to the gym, and I don't want something that looks like junk (black's my favourite colour too, though I've heard it is much harder to keep your car clean).

Something feels off about the honda. Thats too cheap in my opinion, even with that mileage. Add in the fact the photos were either not all taken at the same time (but almost certainly with a different camera), and the bonnet that has had the skin on it, I think I'd avoid. Though in general those Civic's are meant to be very good cars that hold value well, I'm considering one as my next car. Maybe look for others?

That fiesta has been written off and then repaired so I personally wouldn't touch it. But again, good first cars.

How far is it to uni/social stuff and the gym?
Original post by dhr90
Something feels off about the honda. Thats too cheap in my opinion, even with that mileage. Add in the fact the photos were either not all taken at the same time (but almost certainly with a different camera), and the bonnet that has had the skin on it, I think I'd avoid. Though in general those Civic's are meant to be very good cars that hold value well, I'm considering one as my next car. Maybe look for others?

That fiesta has been written off and then repaired so I personally wouldn't touch it. But again, good first cars.

How far is it to uni/social stuff and the gym?

I used the valuation tool on the autotrader website (put in the license plate number and 90000 miles) and it says the Honda should be sold at £3250 privately or £2663 to a dealer. This dealer is selling it for £3300 so it doesn't seem too low if you trust the calculator (and I've checked quite a few prices with it and people tend to sell for similar amounts). I thought it seemed like a car in good condition, the pictures didn't seem devious...and what do you mean by the "bonnet that has had the skin on it"? :confused: And yeah the fiesta probably has something wrong with it.

University is just over 30 miles away, and I have to go there and back, and the gym is 5 miles away (but unwalkable or bikeable, far too hilly). Social stuff is both 5-6 miles away and at university.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've been looking at cars for about 2 weeks now looking to buy my first one. It's pretty confusing as I don't really have anybody I can take with me who knows about cars and buying used cars. I don't have a huge budget either, about £2800 with insurance ect. Quotes I've found have been about £1800.
I've been looking at a 1.0l 2005 Corsa (I'm not looking to race people or show-off, just a cheap runaround) for £700 locally, It has 80,000 miles and seems in good condition from the pictures. Insurance quotes for it have been pretty cheap compared to others. I'm not sure about it as it doesn't mention any service history, just a logbook. I also found an advert for it at an auction (it's now being sold by another company) just 6 months ago for £1200. That makes me reluctant as I'm not sure why somebody would buy it and then sell it (obviously at a significant loss) just 6 months later. 7 months mot left. The advert says it's in good condition.
The only other cars I've seen that even come close in insurance quote prices is 1.2l Clios. So far I'm finding the 'buying your first car' part as hard as, if not harder, than the whole 'learning to drive' part.
Hey everyone,

I am looking at cars and just wanted some advice. Here are some of the cars I am thinking about. By the way I'm 18 years old and I won't be going under anyone.

Toyota Yaris - I've only heard good things about this car and this car is my first option!! Heard it's also good on petrol and insurance.

Vauxhall Corsa - I've only heard good things about this car and this car is my first option!! Heard it's also good on petrol and insurance.

Volkswagen Polo or Golf - I've heard some good reviews but I've also heard bad reviews. I've been told not to purchase this car because it's not a UK model and so if I was to buy it and it needed any repair, it would be expensive due to not being a UK model

Peugeot 206 - The 206 is the same as the VW polo/golf. Heard both good and bad reviews. I've also been told not to purchase this car because it's not a UK model and so if I was to buy it and it needed any repair, it would be expensive due to not being a UK model

Any advice, opinions and help would be great

Sent from my iPhone

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is 90000 miles too much on a Honda Civic? How about 65000?

Latest

Trending

Trending