The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Cortez
If you say so.

I do.
Reply 21
It depends what you want to do with your car, for safety, reliability and dealer service though Id go with the Civic, in black. :smile:
black car is a mess to clean.
Reply 23
Black cars look great when they are clean...

Red interior looks great with a black body.
Reply 24
my mums got the civic 1.4 SE. its a lovely car i have to say. the cabin looks proper modern style. love the wheel and the digital console. its got mp3 cd player which is good, its just a dam nice car. its definately better than the astra.
Reply 25
Red Civic or Black Ashtray - never have a red Vauxhall, it'll be pink within a week :biggrin:
Okay, so there are lots of us looking for first cars

A lot of the time, the helpful advice is simply repeated and repeated, so this is the place from now on to ask all of your first car questions.

Try to search through the thread before you post your own query - someone might already have answered it.

Have at!

<3

I will also compile a list of suggested first cars if people want to PM me a suggestion and then some quick pros and cons of it.
Reply 27
So i just passed my test and i wondered what makes of cars would be best for a first car???
Reply 28
Iv got a clio as my first car and its brilliant. I love it! Its just a 51 reg but honestly its great!!!
Reply 29
Plenty of Fiestas around, cheap, reliable and a good drive for a supermini, depending on your budget..
Reply 30
Ford: Ka, Fiesta
Vauxhall: Corsa, Astra, Nova (shudder)
Renault: Clio, Modus, Twingo (if buying new)
Toyota: Aygo, Yaris (cost a bit more though)
Nissan: Micra (if you have no dignity)
Pegueot: 106, 205, 206, 107, 1007 (expensive)
Citroen: C1, C2, AX, Saxo
Fiat: Ciqucento, Seicento, Punto
Rover: Metro, 200/20
Reply 31
My renault clio wasnt bought new. What difference does that make? Its a great first car. Its got space, its nice to drive and its nippy.
I haven't passed yet, but bought a fiesta as my first car - while it's only 1.25, it supprisingly nippy. I was expecting it to be like my instructors fiesta climate (same engine size) - but it's much much nippier. I've only managed to drive it twice so far - but it's been a great ride for a first car.
Reply 33
Think he was referring to the Twingo. All of those cars are fine, Ford, Vaux or Toyota will probably be most reliable choices, but it all depends how the previous owners have treated them too. The majority of first cars aren't new anyway, average is probably at least 5-10 years old.
Iona Xx
Iv got a clio as my first car and its brilliant. I love it! Its just a 51 reg but honestly its great!!!

How much did a 51 plate clio set you back? I'm not getting a car until the summer but I'm looking at my options so I know how much I need to save!
Reply 35
I've got a 206 and I like it anyway :P Just try and get something quite small and not too expensive (incase you do have any little bumps) and a smaller engine will also make it cheaper to insure. I agree with the cars that have already been said really, clio, KA, corsa, 106, 206....just try having a look around, that's probably you're best bet
xKarinx
I've got a 206 and I like it anyway :P Just try and get something quite small and not too expensive (incase you do have any little bumps) and a smaller engine will also make it cheaper to insure. I agree with the cars that have already been said really, clio, KA, corsa, 106, 206....just try having a look around, that's probably you're best bet

Yeah I said to my dad yesterday that I was looking to save about a grand for my first car, and he was like, nooooo that's way too much for a first car! So now I'm confused as to how much to spend. I want a car that's cheap but also fairly reliable so I'm not spending loads repairing it!
Renault Clio seems to be popular, especially for girls. The Honda Jazz is nice, but I think the Clio and the Toyota Yaris are top of the safety lists.
Reply 38
tinkerbellejess
How much did a 51 plate clio set you back? I'm not getting a car until the summer but I'm looking at my options so I know how much I need to save!

I got a really good car for my money. It only cost me £2100, and its great. The only thing it needed was a new wheel trim which only cost me £15. Apart from that it was brand new. I saved up for that myself too, so its not that difficult :biggrin: x
Iona Xx

Just a 51 reg... oh dear, those poor people with older cars:rolleyes: