The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

1986-1990 mini with a honda vtec engine
Reply 41
Iona Xx
I got a really good car for my money. It only cost me £2100, and its great. The only thing it needed was a new wheel trim which only cost me £15. Apart from that it was brand new. I saved up for that myself too, so its not that difficult :biggrin: x

:eek: thats quite a lot for a first car...the insurance must be off the roof!!....
jus-mi
:eek: thats quite a lot for a first car...the insurance must be off the roof!!....

id say that about the norm - if not below average. Ive just started looking and ive come to the conclusion it is better to get a cheap new car even though it is more expensive than a 2nd hand car just so you dont need to go through the hassle of mot/problems with the car no warranty
Reply 43
Land Rover Defender
MGB V8
Range Rover
Isuzu Trooper
Volvo V70 D5

A few from here and RL....
Reply 44
hyundai matrix.

:p:

SUZUKI ALTO.

the OLD style twingo!

ffs...
Reply 45
yellowtruck
Just a 51 reg... oh dear, those poor people with older cars:rolleyes:

Eh............what?
Reply 46
eulerwaswrong
id say that about the norm - if not below average. Ive just started looking and ive come to the conclusion it is better to get a cheap new car even though it is more expensive than a 2nd hand car just so you dont need to go through the hassle of mot/problems with the car no warranty

Just make sure you get a full service history. And take someone with you who knows about cars when you take a look at some.
Reply 47
jus-mi

Lol wel i was desperate to drive for years an i started saving when i got my first job at 14 lol. The insurance isnt bad - £600.
Reply 48
hey, im looking to buy a car just a couple weeks before my test so that i can get some practise in before. and so far im drawn to a black 3dr fiat punto, ive seen many for around £2250 and done rougly 35000-45000 miles. also it is low insurance,
i jsut wana know if any one has had any problesm with the punto and also if they think it is a boys car. i not that fussy but i dont wana be seen in a car that mainly has girls gonig about in.
basically i jsut want anyones opinios on the punto, or any other suggestions.
Reply 49
spirito de punto.
Reply 50
Its too much money for a small car tbh, it will only be crashed round a tree or end of a cliff. Call me cynical but I have just seen it happen so many times :smile:. But then I paid £850 for a car that is more than we ever usual spend :smile:. My dad once bought a car for £500 and we had it for 6 years!

Personaly save the money, have a few good holidays, get drunk (if you drink), go traveling, invest what ever....
Way too much for a first car.

Maximum £1500.

Personally I will get a Peugeot 106.

:smile:
Reply 52
What's the year model?
Reply 53
I have a Peugeot 206; £2100, 01 plate, but having said that there were 80k miles on the clock. Anyway, it's a pretty good first car, reliable and relatively economical. :p:
There's really no issue about whether it's a boy or girl's car unless you're seriously insecure about your masculinity. As long as it's not pink and doesn't have My Little Pony decals along the side, you can be pretty sure you're not going to be laughed at for it.
Reply 55
If you want a manly car, get a hotrod.
Buy a Ford pop and drop a ford pinto in it next year.
Reply 56
Mark266
also it is low insurance,

Its not that low achually. I had one, was ok for 6 months but was pretty shagged after that. Head Gasket had gone/was on its way out. Try getting a Fiesta instead. Much better build and reliability. Probally cheaper as well.
what about one of the older vw golfs?
Reply 58
i agree with jc but not a hotrod cos youll wrap it round a lamp post...

try a mustang or corvette..
Reply 59
ive heard puntos are quite unreliable. never had any experience with them myself but comapred to fiestas,polo's,corsa's etc they dont have a good rep.

Latest