The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
addagrrr8
i agree with jc but not a hotrod cos youll wrap it round a lamp post...

try a mustang or corvette..

Which is why I suggested a Ford pop. Run the original ford side valve engine this year and go cross flow pinto next year.
Standard pops do well to hit 60! :biggrin: :cool:
For that age group, most small hatchbacks with a small engine are fairly similar in terms of insurance - everyone I know has paid pretty much around £1000 for their first year on their first car. My insurance is £850 on a Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 engine, a boy I know paid £1200 for his Fiat Punto, most people I know are somewhere in the middle on similar cars. The only people I know who drive Puntos are boys, but then the group of cars that most young people drive is relatively small (Polos,206s,corsas,puntos, clios etc) so there are always going to be drivers of both sexes with the same car!
Reply 62
Get a corsa or a astra.
I'm starting my Driving Lessons next month (YAY! :biggrin:)
So now I'm looking into cars so I have a general idea of what I'd like to go for. My mums putting me on her insurance.
I love the Golf TDIs (although the insurance will be a bummer, and it's not a very realistic choice at the moment!)

So at the moment I'm looking into Peugeot 206's. Are these usually a good and realiable car?

Does anyone know any other cars that are good for first time car owners for 17 year olds?

Thankyou.
Reply 64
What is your budget for the car and budget for insurance?
My first car was a '95 Fiat Punto. it cost £700 to buy, and the insurance was £1100, for third party only.
It was really good, started every time, a tank of fuel (about £40) would be good for at least 300 miles.
I got that when I was 17.
Now that I've got 2 years no claims, I can afford a 2000 Ford Focus - much nicer!

Hoope you get sorted

Mike
Reply 66
yaris, fiestas kas etc.. Not to be unhelpful, but there are a million and one posts like this, have a little search in the motoring section, and if 2 or 3 models in particular stick out, come back with some more specific questions, and you'll probably get a bit more useful advice rather than the same generic responses you'll get as the same in all of these threads.. :smile:
Reply 67
MichaelGoodwin
My first car was a '95 Fiat Punto. it cost £700 to buy, and the insurance was £1100, for third party only.
It was really good, started every time, a tank of fuel (about £40) would be good for at least 300 miles.
I got that when I was 17.
Now that I've got 2 years no claims, I can afford a 2000 Ford Focus - much nicer!

Hoope you get sorted

Mike

Where was that insurance from? And was it in your own name?
Reply 68
I'm looking at getting a Ka which I have found, looks pretty decent. It's going for 750 and is a 1998 one, but I think i would need to view first.
Reply 69
arghh car hunting is a nightmare!!...and those comparison sites are even worse!!!....i looked on diamond insurance ...and they quoted me £5k for compreh-watever..even tho i am a new driver most other places like tesco quoted me £2k....with a pegeout 206....i want a car ive passed but my budget is low...am looking at ford fiestas and my budget is 2k or less, and 2k is like a very tight stretch lol
Reply 70
jus-mi
arghh car hunting is a nightmare!!...and those comparison sites are even worse!!!....i looked on diamond insurance ...and they quoted me £5k for compreh-watever..even tho i am a new driver most other places like tesco quoted me £2k....with a pegeout 206....i want a car ive passed but my budget is low...am looking at ford fiestas and my budget is 2k or less, and 2k is like a very tight stretch lol

2k!!! you're lucky, my budget is like 1k and thts really stretching it :frown:
Reply 71
Don't get me wrong part of it has to go towards insurance, ive decided to go under my dads insurance thingy!!....most of the really cheap cars are really rubbish or something is wrong with them....arghh!!!...and i need 1 badly lolol....i dnt like public transport except trains lol
Reply 72
FFS not again...
jus-mi
most of the really cheap cars are really rubbish or something is wrong with them....arghh!!!...and i need 1 badly

You say you have 2,000 quid to spend and going on your father's insurance? What's that 700 quid because you're female?

£1,300 will get you Proper Mint car. My 600 quid, 10 year old Rover 220 SDi starts every time, accelerates well, good fuel usage.

Get a diesel because my first primary sources say they are more reliable.

And SweetDreams_X-Princess Pink Flowers,

A small Corsa is most likely the cheapest to insure.
Reply 74
JC.
FFS not again...

QFT.
Reply 75
Hey guys! I am looking for a small car, ideally 1.1 litre engine, max 1.3 litre engine.

I will be doing approx 75 miles a day, with quite a bit of it being motorway mileage. So can any1 suggest to me any cars?

The cars I have looked at so far are:

VW Polo
Nissan Micra
Peugeot 207
Vauxhall Corsa
Renault Clio
Toyota Yaris
Ford Ka
Vauxhall Agila <<< looks yuck!:eek:

Also, I came across HYUNDAI GETZ... How is Hyundai as a company making cars? I mean reliable?

I saw the following car on Cargiant:
http://www.cargiant.co.uk/style_smallcar/details.asp?Id=370899

Seems ok for the price, but is it worth it? According to the following site, its not:
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/used-prices/Valuation.aspx?deriv=23938&plate=76&issue=0

My requirements are:
PREFERABLY Manual
Small engine as said above.
Cheap on insurance
Cheap on road tax [if possible]
£4300 budget
Mileage approx 20-30000 max...

[I know with the budget I can't get it all, so will have to compromise somewhere...]

I am based in london, so something local
would be nice [to view/buy]
Ford Ka..anything after 2001 would be sutible really, i have it and it's an excellent nippy car
Im also going to say Ford Ka
Check out Autotrader
Reply 78
Following on from another thread.. Ford Ka is dated, built down to a price and not that modern. But it is said to be great fun to drive and having spent some time on the motorway in one it seemed alright. £4300 would get you one with change. Dated on safety, only 3 stars.

Looking at your list:
VW Polo - Reliability issues, pay a lot for the badge. Older models within budget.

Nissan Micra - Within you budget, insanely easy to drive and very comfortable, if lacking in excitement. Within your budget, common driving school car. Electrical gremlins but otherwise ok.

Peugeot 207 - Too new, don't think you could get a decent one for £4300. Unknown quantity but said to be better than the 206. If you meant 206 you could get a decent one for that sum but it will depreciate like nothing else now a new one is out.

Vauxhall Corsa - New one outside your budget, old version nowhere near as good but comfortable, common and therefore cheap to service/run. Easy to drive as number of driving school Corsas show. A tad overpriced and stingy on extras.

Renault Clio - Renault make me nervous on the reliability. Want to watch the bonnet catch issue, safe cars though and supposed to be entertaining. New models outside budget.

Toyota Yaris - See how you find the driving setup/central speedo. As long as they're serviced they will not break. Though when they do it might cost you a fair bit. New outside budget.

Ford Ka - see above. Replacement due.

Vauxhall Agila - Cheap but not a lot else positive to say for it. Definite no no for motorway miles. Replacement due. Basically a re-badged Suzuki Wagon R.

Hyundai Getz - Hyundai = owner of Kia. Korean company known for long warranties and reliable if cheaply made cars. Interiors can be pretty naff, residual values not great, mechanicals reliable. Replacement due.

Other cars to consider:

Ford Fiesta - similar to the old Corsa, but supposed to be more entertaining to drive.

Citroen C2 - Funky styling, may fall apart. Bit small.

Honda Jazz - repeatedly wins awards, higher mileage older models within price range. Holds value well. 1.4 might be useful.

Skoda Fabia - more grown up car, Volkswagen mechanicals for a cheaper price. Combination of Golf and Polo bits. 1.4 and 1.2 should be alright on the motorway.

Seat Ibiza - Volkswagen Polo dressed as a Seat. Same issues, very similar car. May be less expensive.

Ford Fiesta...i love it!

Latest

Trending

Trending