The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Range Rover
Reply 81
Hyundai are alot better than they used to be, their latest cars are pretty much up to European standards now.

I learnt in a Getz, and it was very good spec, had everything you'd want, but really struggle with the 1.1, really struggled moving uphill from stationary. 1.3 version may be worth a look, not the most entertaining car to drive, but very good value for money, as long as it's old enough to have suffered from the massive depreciation they get from new already!

I know it sounds boring, but out of those i'd still go with the Fiesta. There are reasons it's the best-selling supermini in the UK. Although I think it would be worth trying the 1.4 out, just to compare to the smaller 1.25 engine.

Think the Seat Ibiza is worth a look too, as mentioned it will be good quality like the Polo, but better value.
Reply 82
ajvinderd9
Range Rover

Only if it's a vogue model. Anything else would be churlish to suggest.
Reply 83
Get the Polo/VAG car, it will give you the least trouble in the long term.
Reply 84
Mini. No, not a MINI, a real one.
Fiat Seicento (the 1.1 FIRE units are very sturdy and surprisingly powerful, and you can pick up a good sei for under £2k).??
the old style minis are gorgeous :smile:
Hello mate,

Best I can recommend is a:

RENAULT CLIO 1.5 dCi Dynamique (80 Bhp)

- Can get a decent one with under 40000 miles for around your £4000 budget.
- Tax cost £35 a year, yes that is £35 a year.
- Congestion Charge exempt too, but wouldn't recommend driving in London.
- They have 3/4 Star NCAP safety ratings.
- Will do 100 odd mph & 0-60 in about 12 seconds. Capable of 60-70mpg.
- Look neat. Also, you could get Biofuel - cost about 10p less per litre.

Otherwise, look for a Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec (I have one). Nice sporty car - has caused me no problems & drives superb. Super cheap too.

Best of luck in your search!
Reply 89
Thanks all for ur replies. Keep them coming in! Will reply in detail once I have more time:biggrin:
Reply 90
renault clio! :biggrin:
i love mine :smile:
Reply 91
Daewoo Matiz aka a lawnmower with its 0.8 litre engine.
Absolute beast of a vehicle.
Reply 92
^^ not much better than a vauxhall aglia :p:
Reply 93
vauxhall astraaaaaa yum
Ford KA, Ford KA!
I'm not doing anything near 75 miles a day, but I do motorway driving and I've never had any problems and its nearly 10 years old!
With your budget you could get a much newer one though.
However, you are a boy.. and I have heard its a car designed for girls. But dont let that put you off!
xx
Reply 95
I'll comment on what i know about... or kinda lol:

VW Polo - my parents owned two VW polos, one was the older style P reg white one and the other was a 03 plate. never had anything go wrong with them.

Nissan Micra - my bfs mate has driven one of these for years and as far as i know, it's never gone wrong.. just meh, not the best looking of cars if you are going for the older model.

Peugeot 207 - peugeots are fabulous. i own a 206 and i love the little beast. ok, it might depreciate faster than other cars, but i just love driving it. having driven one of the 207s too, they drive superbly well, with a nice easy ride.

Vauxhall Corsa - mate has one at work. rags it like something possessed, but having owned it since 05, he's had nothing go wrong with it.

Renault Clio - another mate at work will stand by this until the end. having driven both the old and new ones, sure the new one delivers a nice ride, but it is expensive for what it is. it's no longer really one of the 'little' cars, so if you are going to go for this option, go for one of the older models. they are very reliable.. we don't get many of them in for problems.

Toyota Yaris - i absolutally hate these. small, funny positioned speedo.. ew. the one i drove was only an 06 plate, but all the interior had faded. very old fuddy duddy car.. don't see many young people driving them.

Ford Ka - avoid tbh. no one wants them anymore. dated, get boring to drive after a bit, look ugly if they have grey bumpers... ergh. unless you are going for the 'sport' model, i really wouldn't bother.

Vauxhall Agila - EW. what possessed them to design this? huge body, small wheels. agian, one for the older generation. avoid...

Hyundai Getz - the only owner of these are older people. seriously. they are nice to drive, sure, probably not that bad on fuel consumption. i don't think we have them in too often either, the ocassional EML on, but usually they just come in for servicing. but meh, i just think they are ugly.

Other cars to consider:

Ford Fiesta - yes! but one of the older ones... :s-smilie:

Citroen C2 - avoid all things citroen. sure, they are peugeots in disguise (or the other way round) but i just think they are cheap and tacky.. they are always in the shop with problems.

Honda Jazz - ... not too sure about this one. not had much experience with them.

Skoda Fabia - these cars are great! you get the odd one, like one woman had hers in the shop for 2 months with several lights on, and when they go wrong, they sure do go wrong (fuse boxes melting is a big one, electrical problems) but they are VWs in disguise, and they are really good runners. however, as stated, tend to be driven by the older generation.

Seat Ibiza - these are beautiful, if not a bit small.
Reply 96
pinksparkles2
Ford KA, Ford KA!
I'm not doing anything near 75 miles a day, but I do motorway driving and I've never had any problems and its nearly 10 years old!
With your budget you could get a much newer one though.
However, you are a boy.. and I have heard its a car designed for girls. But dont let that put you off!
xx

it's not designed for girls, just more girls tend to drive them.
we have a ten year old one at work... i hate it with a passion lol. plus i used to own one and i woulodnt have another. everything went wrong on it.
lodzinski
Fiat Seicento (the 1.1 FIRE units are very sturdy and surprisingly powerful, and you can pick up a good sei for under £2k).??

Would have to agree. I have one and they are brilliant. It only costs me about £35-40 to fill it from empty. Its insurance band one so cheap to insure and they're also cheap to buy. Mine was built in 2001 but not registared till 2003 and had only done about 30,000 miles and at £1400 a bargin!
Reply 98
Froget the Sciencento if you crash it your dead. The Ka is a lot safer than them.

To be honest though I would not spend £4000 on one unless its new, the mechanics are brilliant but they do rust if not properly treated.

I am not a fan of the Polo seen far too many in the hands of break down people, they cost too much, parts are expensive and the dealers are awful. You would be much better getting the Seat Ibiza/Skoda Fabia, basically the same cars but with a much better ownership experience.

The great thing about the Ka is DIY/back street garage servicing is all it needs, an oil change every 5000 miles and if driven sensibly you will see 100,000 miles on the original clutch though the engine will sound like a tractor by this point it will still go on and and on.... the rust will eat the car though.

Nissan Micra - Check for rust on the cross members, this is apparently a very common problem on the post 2002 models.

Corsa - Corsa B's give an awful driving experience, Corsa C's are fine it is just a matter of taste really.
ellfaz
Where was that insurance from? And was it in your own name?

The insurance was from Endsleigh, and underwriten by Zurich.
Yep, in my own name, although I got a small discount because I'm a student (Endsleigh mainly do student insurance) and I have household insurance through them as well.

Mike

Latest