The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
AlexAAT
how come you didn't apply to the courtauld?
if you love history of art and london :s-smilie:

I didnt apply there cuz its such a specialized insitution and only has about 300 students total and i wanted to go to a large university for my BA and not just one place focusing on one subject. Meet lots of people and be exposed to different degrees, and even having the option to change the degree. I think if all goes well with hstry of art ill Apply to courtauld for a masters or something like that.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 41
stephinny
I didnt apply there cuz its such a specialized insitution and only has about 300 students total and i wanted to go to a large university for my BA and not just one place focusing on one subject. Meet lots of people and be exposed to different degrees, and even having the option to change the degree. I think if all goes well with hstry of art ill Apply to courtauld for a masters or something like that.

heya stephinny, i see you're from brussels. i was born and grew up their. attended european school of brussels :biggrin:.
i can see you're doing IB, which school are you at? something like BSB, ISB or Saint John's?
defo pick UCL as your insurance, and good luck with Camebridge offer :biggrin:
xxx
Reply 42
stephinny

fair enough. 4 of my 5 options were architecture originally, I had a big change of mind... courtauld was the only art history course i applied to. Its not too bad because you live in intercollegiate halls so you get to know people from a variety of unis.
Reply 43
Is there anybody else without a decision from Courtauld?
Reply 44
jillyx
okay i'd suggest UCL because it has alot more to offer and not only that it has an excellent location.

excellent location for what exactly? Camden Market?
Reply 45
^^ I hate to admit it but KCL and LSE's location is better than UCL's. But that said good public transport in central London compensates this though.
Reply 46
simdam
heya stephinny, i see you're from brussels. i was born and grew up their. attended european school of brussels :biggrin:.
i can see you're doing IB, which school are you at? something like BSB, ISB or Saint John's?
defo pick UCL as your insurance, and good luck with Camebridge offer :biggrin:
xxx

Helloooo
sorry im replying so late i didnt manage to see this post haha
yeah I go to ISB, u went to the european school? thats cool..which one? i know a few kids from there
and thankyouu!
I'm going to the Courtauld in sept and my insurance is UCL for history of art. When I was applying I asked around people in the art business (I'm interning at Sotheby's and know people in london galleries) what they considered the were the most prestigious universities for HoArt. The Courtauld came out top hands down followed by Cambridge and Ucl, then places like Bristol, Edinburgh and St Andrews. Warwick was never actually mentioned, but obviously this is only from the persepective of the art industry and in other, not directly art related careers, Warwick is very highly regarded. So I would think carefully about what you want to do with your degree after uni...
Reply 48
It's ocelot time
I'm going to the Courtauld in sept and my insurance is UCL for history of art. When I was applying I asked around people in the art business (I'm interning at Sotheby's and know people in london galleries) what they considered the were the most prestigious universities for HoArt. The Courtauld came out top hands down followed by Cambridge and Ucl, then places like Bristol, Edinburgh and St Andrews. Warwick was never actually mentioned, but obviously this is only from the persepective of the art industry and in other, not directly art related careers, Warwick is very highly regarded. So I would think carefully about what you want to do with your degree after uni...

you make such a good point actaully, youve completely turned my thinking around and make me wanna go to UCL. there are still alot of reasons why living in london would be tough, but its true that if i wanna go into something art related, and i dont get the grades for cambridge, where else is it better to be then london. as much as i love warwick, i think im gonna do UCL...

not to late to send in the accomodation form i hope :P
Reply 49
not to late to send in the accomodation form i hope :P

The application deadline for accommodation is 31 May, at least this is what it says in my letter.
Reply 50
im choosing UCL! what a change! i came into this thread thinking warwick...

the student room IS useful...
I am feeling slightly responsible for your life now... although I stand by my advice. Quite a lot of pressure though!
andy87
ive got the same offers as you. one from Warwick for PAIS and one from UCL for PEES. Ive chosen UCL over Warwick. Among the reasons: i prefer london to living in the countryside, better career prospects, better networking opportunities, UCL was ranked the 9th best Uni in the World last year; im not a fan of league tables, but if they matter for employers it matters for me 2 , international recognition which i think its higher than Warwick's. Im an international student from Eastern Europe and before i came to the UK have never heard of Warwick but certainly heard of UCL.

I went on a short UK trip over the weekend. London unsurprisingly kicked ass, and the SSEES made a very good impression. While I don't want to contest the academic achievements of Warwick, it did on the other hand feel isolated and dull, like you'd have to get a bus to even get to the middle of nowhere (Coventry). I firmed UCL and PEES.

The one thing I don't look forward to is carpeted floors everywhere. What's up with that anyway?
UCL. You'll absolutely love London, its MUCH more vibrant.

Warwick is good, however UCL has more of an int'l rep, its like what, 9th in the world or something.
Polkovnik_Zimin
I firmed UCL and PEES.

The one thing I don't look forward to is carpeted floors everywhere. What's up with that anyway?

1. It was between PEES @ UCL and my course @ LSE. If rep hadn't mattered, UCL would have been my 1st choice. You are going to have so much fun there, its absolutely amazing and actually be taught well. All the best.
(Have you added anyone going on Facebook, I know a couple of people..)

2. You will appreciate carpeted floors in winter. I know I hate them, but something about insulation during winters really does balance the hate out!
Reply 55
It's ocelot time
I am feeling slightly responsible for your life now... although I stand by my advice. Quite a lot of pressure though!

hahah noo pressure your advice made such a difference cuz u pointed out this tuff i wasnt even considering...

i feel really good about the UCL choice now.... and hope i get some sort of accomodation :s-smilie:
Reply 56
Polkovnik_Zimin
I went on a short UK trip over the weekend. London unsurprisingly kicked ass, and the SSEES made a very good impression. While I don't want to contest the academic achievements of Warwick, it did on the other hand feel isolated and dull, like you'd have to get a bus to even get to the middle of nowhere (Coventry). I firmed UCL and PEES.

Well, on the other hand, you failed. You didn't buy an xbox. Failure.

I did firm UCL(Economics though) over warwick aswell, it feels great!

Someone told me the Warwick campus was beautiful, someone lied.
Reply 57
Hi there! I see here a couple of people with the same problem as mine... Warwick or London? I applied for art hist and Italian to UCL and for art hist to Warwick and got conditional offers from both of them, though Warwick would give me an opportunity to start from the 2nd year as now I'm studying art hist, Italian and Russian at Glasgow Uni. I haven't send my reply yet cause I'm still thinking which uni should I choose... I will most probably go for London as my boyfriend is going to study at LSE next year... Anyway, I'm a bit frightened by London... I'd prefer living in the middle of nowhere, as someone said;p

btw, has anybody seen the intercollegiate halls?
Reply 58
Antoinette
Hi there! I see here a couple of people with the same problem as mine... Warwick or London? I applied for art hist and Italian to UCL and for art hist to Warwick and got conditional offers from both of them, though Warwick would give me an opportunity to start from the 2nd year as now I'm studying art hist, Italian and Russian at Glasgow Uni. I haven't send my reply yet cause I'm still thinking which uni should I choose... I will most probably go for London as my boyfriend is going to study at LSE next year... Anyway, I'm a bit frightened by London... I'd prefer living in the middle of nowhere, as someone said;p

btw, has anybody seen the intercollegiate halls?

if ur wanting to study art history and lagnauges, especially italian, then warwick wood be amazing cuz of the whole a term in venice in the third year. no ohter history of art courses can really offer that, ive heard its such an amazing experience
you r looking 4 sense of community so I suppose 'at in london UCL is phs the most you could have with this sence, still non of uni in london could claim oneself a "real" community though. as opposed to warwick, everything there is in real teach in a local area, teachings, accmdtions and sports etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending