The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
hanh01
still the same. top unis are unlikely to be in extra.

he has seen unis and courses in extra which he'd like to go for.
well he should get in there quickly then! :biggrin:
Reply 22
StarDust*
It'll be difficult to secure places for any course at 'top unis' - they're oversubscribed as it is - unless he takes a gap year. And even then, not everyone spends those wisely. I think it's a better idea to stick with what you enjoy and would want to do as a degree, in a city you like: you're probably far more likely to succeed. Also, Sheffield & QMUL are universities with good reputations. It depends what he wants to do in the long run: but, as you say, a conversion course is expensive - and it's a lot of work because everything is crammed into a year. He should do what's best for him, obviously, but I do think a top-notch degree from Sheffield or QMUL would still stand him in good stead for the future.

i'll tell him that.
Reply 23
he's just told me that he'll ring around for unis and if it doesn't look like he can get into any he'll keep his offers.
goldenbuttons
I'm very surprised.

So you know of one exception which makes the majority of people (whom may have had first or second hand experience) on this thread wrong? :smile:.

Just out of interest, what course was it for?

Well, yes, since you're coming out with things such as "all top places would have given more than enough offers out,"; which obviously isn't the case if Durham gave places out through Extra. So yes, you are wrong about that, quite frankly.

Computer Science; not a very popular course, I know, but that wasn't what I was refuting.
I wonder how many other top institutions were in Extra that year. Also as someone else has said, Politics is becoming increasingly popular whereas other subjects are not (thosemore likely to be in Extra/Clearing), so this person's chances don't look too promising.

But if he has seen places and courses he'd be happy with already, as the OP said, then there's no problem :smile:.

Edit: Durham probably did give more than enough offers out, just not as many people as they expected would have taken up theseoffers. Probably because they got offers from higher places and therefore declined Durham?
Reply 26
Extra hasn't even started this year yet.
kirstinx
Extra hasn't even started this year yet.

:laugh: I was wondering...
The Solitary Reaper
I have a friend who goes to Durham, who got in via Extra,

Studying?
Reply 29
well. Durham came to HK in aug after the alevel results were out to recruit students. someone got in with ABB for law. so you never know. but i guess it's a big risk to try extra when u have good offers.
ChemistBoy
Studying?
Computer Science, mentioned it in an above post :smile:.
goldenbuttons
Computer Science, mentioned it in an above post :smile:.

Cheers, makes a big difference to the relevance of that comment.
ChemistBoy
Cheers, makes a big difference to the relevance of that comment.

"no true scotsman"

Apologies if I don't want people taking as the truth something that's not; in future I'll refrain? :s-smilie:
The Solitary Reaper

Apologies if I don't want people taking as the truth something that's not; in future I'll refrain? :s-smilie:

Apologies if I want people to have all the context of a statement.
Reply 34
???????
he has seen unis and courses in extra which he'd like to go for.

Amazing, since UCAS Extra has just opened for this admissions cycle and he would have already had to reject QMUL and Sheffield to even course listings on UCAS Extra.

Latest

Trending

Trending