The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
depp_is_god
You are in an almost identical situation to me, but I have already emailed Warwick and Bristol and they told me they don't accept 2nd year transfers (despite me having AAAB at A level!) - although it may vary from course to course, I suppose - good luck though and go for it!

Wow, congrats on your fantastic A Levels. I'm sorry Warwick and Bristol said no to transfers :frown: Which course were you applying for? I think it does depend very much on the course. Having said all this, I may not even be accepted anywhere.

Which uni are you at now? (Don't worry if you don't want to say, I didn't!) So you've found the academic environment etc similiar at your current uni?

Good luck to you, too. Are you going to see if anywhere else will accept a transfer?
Thanks!!! It was Philosophy and I'm currently at Sussex which I thought I'd love as Brighton is such a cool place, but everyone at uni seems to be on a totally different wavelength to me. I like to go out and drink, but that's all most people seem to do here! I just feel like I don't fit in.

I am in the process of deciding who else to approach, but Warwick was my number one choice and as both they and Bristol said no, I'm feeling a little despondent about emailing other 'top' unis.
Reply 22
depp_is_god
Thanks!!! It was Philosophy and I'm currently at Sussex which I thought I'd love as Brighton is such a cool place, but everyone at uni seems to be on a totally different wavelength to me. I like to go out and drink, but that's all most people seem to do here! I just feel like I don't fit in.
I am in the process of deciding who else to approach, but Warwick was my number one choice and as both they and Bristol said no, I'm feeling a little despondent about emailing other 'top' unis.

I think you should keep on trying - at least email some other unis you're interested in and see what they say, there's no harm in trying. Or maybe phone, you get a quicker response that way. Some said to me that whether they accept transfers depends not just on your grades but also on whether the course content of the first year matches their first year course content enough for you to be able to progress to the 2nd year of their degree course, maybe that's partly why they said no? But yeah if I were you, I wouldn't get disheartened yet. Make a list of a few others you'd like to go to and give them a ring, can't hurt to try. With your grades I would have thought you'd get into one of the top ones quite easily.
Sounds like you have good reasons to transfer but do beware because no how good the uni there will be people who do loads of work and people who do nothing. So maybe check your not just jumping out of the frying pan into the fire
Reply 24
crazyhelicopter
Sounds like you have good reasons to transfer but do beware because no how good the uni there will be people who do loads of work and people who do nothing. So maybe check your not just jumping out of the frying pan into the fire

Very true... thanks for the warning, this does scare me a little. I could end up in a situation where there is even more work and I've lost the few close friends I do have and also at a uni where I can't keep up with the standard - the opposite problem to what I have now. :s-smilie:

Does the workload vary massively between unis, does anyone know? Between a good-ish and an very good/excellent uni?
*Supernova*
Does the workload vary massively between unis, does anyone know? Between a good-ish and an very good/excellent uni?
From people I've spoken to work load is similar in all places. May be worth seeing if you can contact anyone doing your course at a different uni- friends of friends etc and seeing what they think. Then you may also be able to find out about the work ethic.
*Supernova*
Yup, same uni, same situation - this is EXACTLY how I feel. Like I'm just not in the right place, and that is all they seem to do. (As I said in my first post!) Yeah, I feel like everyone else is on a totally different wavelength as well. I know a couple of other people who feel the same, I guess we all just expected more. Brighton is amazing, one of the main reasons I chose Sussex too. I'll miss that if I go. Though it turns out fantastic location does not necessarily make for a fantastic university experience.

I think you should keep on trying - at least email some other unis you're interested in and see what they say, there's no harm in trying. Or maybe phone, you get a quicker response that way. Some said to me that whether they accept transfers depends not just on your grades but also on whether the course content of the first year matches their first year course content enough for you to be able to progress to the 2nd year of their degree course, maybe that's partly why they said no? But yeah if I were you, don't get disheartened yet. Make a list of a few others you'd like to go to and give them a ring, can't hurt to try. With your grades I would have thought you'd get into one of the top ones quite easily.

Sussex is my dream uni :frown: Is it really that bad?
Off topic, you're doing a year abroad, are you doing american studies by any chance?
Reply 27
brokenheroes
Sussex is my dream uni :frown: Is it really that bad?
Off topic, you're doing a year abroad, are you doing american studies by any chance?

Don't worry!! There are lots of good things about Sussex, hence why I'm in such a dilemma. If I hated it, there would be no dilemma of whether or not to transfer and I would probably have done it long ago. :smile:
Reply 28
I know a couple of people who have transferred, both had offers from two universities one to restart year one and one to transfer to year 2. In both cases the "better" university, more prestigious higher up league tables or whatever, offered place but restarting and other uni offered transfer to year 2. Both went into the second year, one loves it the other one wasn't terribly keen but finished the degree and now has a good job, £75k per annum so doing OK. I guess you have to take a chance, nothing is certain. They were/are happy they moved as both hated their original university, didn't really make friends and found it a disappointing experience.

If you get an offer why not ask students at that uni what they can tell you? You would probably get some good advice on studentroom for the universities you have mentioned. Good luck.
Reply 29
crazyhelicopter
From people I've spoken to work load is similar in all places. May be worth seeing if you can contact anyone doing your course at a different uni- friends of friends etc and seeing what they think. Then you may also be able to find out about the work ethic.

OK, good to hear. And good advice, thanks. I'll try and find that out!
Reply 30
flump
I know a couple of people who have transferred, both had offers from two universities one to restart year one and one to transfer to year 2. In both cases the "better" university, more prestigious higher up league tables or whatever, offered place but restarting and other uni offered transfer to year 2. Both went into the second year, one loves it the other one wasn't terribly keen but finished the degree and now has a good job, £75k per annum so doing OK. I guess you have to take a chance, nothing is certain. They were/are happy they moved as both hated their original university, didn't really make friends and found it a disappointing experience.

If you get an offer why not ask students at that uni what they can tell you? You would probably get some good advice on studentroom for the universities you have mentioned. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice :smile: Always good to hear anyone else's experiences.
*Supernova*
Thanks everyone for their advice so far! :smile: Keep it coming, if anyone else has anything to add. Will rep for the best advice but I think I can only do one a day.

Has anyone had any experience of transferring into 2nd year and having to make new friends?

Also, is it true that it's a lot harder to get good grades at a better university? :confused: Maybe I'm worrying for no reason!

Thanks for the rep :biggrin:
Reply 32
*Supernova*
Thanks for the advice :smile: Always good to hear anyone else's experiences. I guess my only worry is the fact that I don't HATE the uni I'm at, there are good things about it, I'm just quite disappointed with it and with various aspects, and it's not really at all what I imagined it would be like. It's just whether or not they're strong enough reasons/big enough disappointments to take the risk of transferring.

Yes its a big decision, would be easier if you hated it. Do you think it might be easier next year when you aren't in halls?

Latest

Trending

Trending