The Student Room Group

Historian quotes on stalin needed.

Hi guys, i have the essay title, "to what extent was stalins economic policies successful?"
Ive pretty much done writing the essay and come to what my teacher and i believe is a fair arguement and conclusion. Ive purchased a few books and searched for historian quotes to put into this essay, however i could really do with a few more historians quotes on their opinions on the:
success and/or failure of the five year plans,
Their opinion of stalin's purges,
Their opinion on how well stalin improved the military.
A general opinion of stalin would also be nice as well, im currently using the "wonderful georgian" by lenin but considering replacing this.
Any help or advice is greatly appreciated and any quotes you can find i will be very gratefull for.
Thanks.
x
Reply 1
i couldnt find many but this is from wikiquote, dunno how the last one relates, but hey.

Quotations about Stalin
Stalin was a guy like we are, not only that he considered himself a revolutionary and lived like one, but he was a character in the truest sense of the word.
-Joschka Fischer in the German journal "autonomie" No. 5, 1977.

Apparently, father was a Georgian when he was younger.
-Stalin's second son Vasily to his sister Svetlana, showing just how little the general secretary spent with his children.

He had found Russia working with wooden ploughs and leaving it equipped with atomic piles.
-Isaac Deutscher, Ironies of History: Essays on Contemporary Communism The book was published in 1966, but the article first appeared in 1953, as an obituary. Similar phrase could be found in the article "Stalin" of Encyclopaedia Britanica, 1956, v.21, p.303 written by Isaac Deutscher as well.

The House has noticed the Prime Minister's remarkable transformation in the past few weeks, from Stalin to Mr Bean.
-Announced to the British House Of Commons' by Vincent Cable on Prime Minister Gordon Brown.

hope it helps. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending