The Student Room Group

Not Happy.

Wasn't sure where to stick this as it probably fits in a few forums, but since uni is the crux of the problem I'll put it here. And apologies for what will no doubt turn into a pretty long post; I'll try and keep it succint.

Basically, I'm unhappy.

My uni and course are pants. It's poorly taught and poorly assessed and the content is a waste of time. In the first modules we were given some basic recording equipment and told to have fun. I later discovered that after having done all the work one of my group members (who did NOTHING) achieved a full grade higher than I did for my own work.

It's now gotten to the stage where I'm not bothering to go in most of the time because it really is completely and utterly pointless. One of our modules is a complete waste of time - We're learning software-specific skills for a program I know I'm never going to use again because it's rubbish, and there are no general skills to be learnt because it's insultingly easy.

The other module is, literally, Key Stage 3 music theory. Stuff I knew when I was 9. So, in our tutorial when we're being pushed through the instructions on a piece of paper on how to use the tonic, dominant and subdominant in root position under a melody line, I decided to just get on with the marked work - The 3-minute composed piece. Then my tutor came around:

"What are you doing?"
"Coming up with some themes for my composition."
"Do the tutorial."
"Okay... Seems a bit counterproductive."
"Why counterproductive?"
"Well, I can do this and I'd rather just get on with the project."
"We've designed the tutorial for you to do - Do it."

Seems that all the fuss they make about "autonomy" is just one-sided: When they can't be arsed, you get on with what you think's important, but if they want you to do something, you do it. What a joke.

To highlight further problems, I was planning on going to my "lecture" this morning, but as I didn't get any sleep last night (as is becoming extremely common now), I decided I needed a lie in. Which I didn't get because my **** of a flatmate decided to play extremely loud (and extremely ****) music at 8am. He's stopped playing it now, though, so I can only assume he's gone to turn the kitchen upside down, fill the sink with pots he'll never wash and eat my food.

My social life is pretty pants, too, I have two friends in uni and two flatmates who I get on with (but they were friends from back home anyway).

My parents are thinking of moving back to New Zealand this year and, to be honest, I might just drop everything and go with them. Start fresh. But the downside to that is it'd be difficult to pursue a career as a professional musician, which I'd still like to try and do (I'd have to get back into practice pretty sharpish, though, it's getting a bit late for that).

Sigh. Maybe I'll go to NZ, get my citizenship and spend my time practicing my music again and then go and apply to Berklee in Boston or something. Anyone know if they take mature students? -_-
So what exactly are you asking here?
Reply 2
I'm not so much asking anything as just trying to get it out. I guess people can comment as they please. Maybe someone relates? I dunno.
Reply 3
I sort of agree with the part in the middle. Basically, my course is very well-taught in general, and the tutors are useful, helpful and experienced.

However, this year I have one module that for some reason unknown to me, is being taught by a tutor from Lancaster university, and she's rubbish.
We have time-consuming assignments set, and just don't have enough time to do the work. Each Monday afternoon, we have a 2-hour class with this woman, during which she gives us a slow and painfully simple demonstration (how to open a new file in 10 different ways, and how to do the simplest of tasks every possible way that the computer will let you) that lasts approximately 1hr 20mins, giving us a remaining 40 minutes to actually do some work.

Maybe this would be ok, if the work set for us in those next 40 minutes wasn't a tutorial, given to us on a sheet with step-by-step instructions, asking us to do for ourselves exactly what she's just spent over an hour 'teaching' us.

In the first semester, I ignored her completely, and worked on the assignment throughout her little 'lessons', and it was hugely beneficial to me. This semester though, she's picked up on it, and has made the tutorials a compulsory part of our grade, so I have to sit there and listen to her talk nonsense for 80 minutes, THEN do the same thing for myself in the remaining 40.

Today is progression day. I have to go in and pick my third year modules and plan my dissertation. The meeting I have is at 3pm, at the same time as this particular woman's class is supposed to start. She wasn't happy when she found out we all had to be elsewhere, and has insisted that since this meeting is only an hour long, we all have to go to her class afterwards for an hours work. Clearly, an hour with her is going to be completely useless - she won't even finish talking - but she's coming down to the meeting to collect us, so that nobody gets away. Grr!

Add on top of this that we have a strict '15-working-days' policy for the return of assignments, and she's still not even started marking our first semester ones...

I love my course, and my modules, and the rest of the tutors; but OMG I can't stand the classes with this woman, and I'll be making that very clear at our end-of-module review. I hope this isn't the case with more tutors at Lancaster...I pity them if it is.

Thanks for making this thread! It's given me a chance to rant, too, it seems...
^ she's picking you up from your meeting to make sure no-one gets away??? my goodness someone should tell her she is teaching university students not year sevens!!
Reply 5
sleepy_person!
^ she's picking you up from your meeting to make sure no-one gets away??? my goodness someone should tell her she is teaching university students not year sevens!!

Exactly. Though with her teaching methods, I wonder if she even sees us as Year 7s...
She seems to think we're either incapable of reading from a sheet ourselves to do the work, or, so incapable of understanding the English language that we need the sheet to go over what she's already told us 15 times.
Meh.
Reply 6
Can you not just turn up for the lecture one hour into it, just so you dont have to lisen to the first half?

Thread hijack cpj1987!!!!

Anyway Planto please talk to your course leader about your problems. Email or phone and ask for an appointment. I dont know what course you are doing, and if you did tell me I would be cluesless but it seems that most courses just bring everyone up to the same level in the first year which is why you are finding it easy. Having a good social life also makes Uni bareable so try and get that sorted and halls is sometimes not the best expereince. Jesus two years ago I had about 3 people I spoke to, now it is at least 30!!! Your Uni or the course could be to blame. You need to raise your issues with the course leader or personal tutor ASAP.
Also you say you are not getting enough sleep, that needs to be addressed.
Reply 7
layla_1234

Thread hijack cpj1987!!!!

I know, but the OP seems to have faded into oblivion...I was trying to let him know that he wasn't alone, and...he's gone. :eek::frown:
Reply 8
cpj1987
I know, but the OP seems to have faded into oblivion...I was trying to let him know that he wasn't alone, and...he's gone. :eek::frown:

He could be at Uni. I sometimes post and dont come back for a few says.
Reply 9
layla_1234
He could be at Uni. I sometimes post and dont come back for a few says.

You mean...people don't live on TSR?! :eek::redface:
Reply 10
cpj1987
You mean...people don't live on TSR?! :eek::redface:

Only around exam time and middle of the night or when they are at work doing a job which is supposed to take 50 mins but I have it down to 30 mins :confused:
Reply 11
layla_1234
Only around exam time and middle of the night or when they are at work doing a job which is supposed to take 50 mins but I have it down to 30 mins :confused:

Oh yeah...small breaks from reality to do other things are advisable, I reckon. I was just worried then that there might be like...a whole other world... :eek:

Now I've really side-tracked this thread, damnit. Sorry OP, I'll shush! :s-smilie:
You said it might be too late for you.. NOOOOO! How will you feel in 2 years? "It really is too late now.."
Reply 13
OP Unfort because you have chosen to go to a uni where the typical offer for their Music courses are 160 UCAS Points, the method of teaching will typically have been catered towards those who do struggle a bit more with things, meaning that yes there will be people like yourself who are clearly further ahead, but there'll be people on your course who are probably struggling. Could you not try reapplying to somewhere else in the UK
Reply 14
Yeah - I really like the idea of studying music performance rather than "technology", probably a BA or BMus in jazz would be awesome (rather than straight music - I'm a drummer so jazz is probably more appropriate and more challenging than a classical degree).

'course if I was going to do this, the ideal place would be in the US, which has a much more liberal music scene and a wider scope for a professional musician. Studying here and then emigrating wouldn't work as well as one of the most important aspects of a music college would be developing industry contacts.

As for the sleep - It's not good. I've been spending 3-6 hours a night just lying in bed unable to sleep, but I think it's probably caused by my worrying.

Latest

Trending

Trending