The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well you could say the rest at interview.
Reply 2
There is nothing wrong with having too much work experience to talk about in a personal statement. Just make sure that it doesn't turn into a list of things you have done and that you have explored what you have learnt from your work experiance. Anything that you can't include can be raised in interviews.

Remember that you shouldn't be doing work experience just to build your application you should be doing it to explore and learn about different areas of medicine to decide whether it is the career for you. So don't worry about having too much.
Reply 3
You only have your personal statement, reference and a 15 minute interview to get across the most valuable bits of your work experience (and baring in mind they may or may give you much opportunity to talk about it). You be surprised at how little opportunity that is, so anything above and beyond three/ four in-depth placements you're probably not going to be able to cover and do it justice. As such, anything additional to that, in my rather limited experience, will probably have to be purely for your personal benefit.

On the other hand, the minimum base-line amount of experience - I'd say - is probably one or two in-depth, short term work experiences at a hospital/ GP and a longer term volunteer work in a caring setting. Anything above that is pretty good.

Of course, having said that - my work experience is probably slightly under that and I've got two offer so far. :biggrin: I think I'm a bit jammy...
Reply 4
Sounds good, I've done a week in-depth following the same consultant around through ward rounds, clinics, bronchoscopy and admin. I've also done more work experience last week, where I explored different departments for a whole week including endocrinology, rheumatology, OGD endoscopy (oesophagus, gastro, duodenum), colonoscopy and orthopaedics surgery clinc. I'm also aiming to get a voluntary job for the next couple of weeks running upto exam time. Does that seem enough?

EDIT:
I think it should be enough because I realise I really want to do medicine now and I understand the day to day basis work.
Reply 5
Yeah definitely, I've produced notes as well when I was there to recap when it comes to writing my personal statement.
Reply 6
You're thinking of experience purely as a means of getting in aren't you?

:frown:
Reply 7
At least they're being honest about it.
Seriously, it's about relating what you learned from the work experience that counts, not the quantity. What you'll find is that medics at most universities, if not all, have to keep writing reflective pieces in a portfolio based on their experiences throughout medical school as part of their curriculums. Of course, the idea sounds a bit silly, but if you can show the ability to gain insight from work experience rather than walking out and assuming you're now a doctor, it will make SUCH a difference on your personal statement :biggrin:
Reply 9
kinglrb
Sounds good, I've done a week in-depth following the same consultant around through ward rounds, clinics, bronchoscopy and admin. I've also done more work experience last week, where I explored different departments for a whole week including endocrinology, rheumatology, OGD endoscopy (oesophagus, gastro, duodenum), colonoscopy and orthopaedics surgery clinc. I'm also aiming to get a voluntary job for the next couple of weeks running upto exam time. Does that seem enough?

EDIT:
I think it should be enough because I realise I really want to do medicine now and I understand the day to day basis work.

Do you really? I may sound harsh here, but what you've just described to me is a whistle-stop tour of various departments, seeing a few patients and a few procedures, going "wow, this is so cool," and that's about it. Have you actually spoken to any patients about what they're feeling, what they're scared of, what their experience of being poked, prodded and having cameras in various orifices is? Do you know what the junior doctors actually do day in, day out to keep the place running and the punters hopefully on the road to recovery? Listing a bunch of procedures and specialties is all very well, but to me personally it's not that impressive - it just means you got lucky and found a hospital with a well-organised work experience programme.

Definitely get the voluntary work on board, either in hospital or in the community, and start really thinking about what Medicine is when it's not fancy tests and clinics.
Reply 10
Helenia
Do you really? I may sound harsh here, but what you've just described to me is a whistle-stop tour of various departments, seeing a few patients and a few procedures, going "wow, this is so cool," and that's about it. Have you actually spoken to any patients about what they're feeling, what they're scared of, what their experience of being poked, prodded and having cameras in various orifices is? Do you know what the junior doctors actually do day in, day out to keep the place running and the punters hopefully on the road to recovery? Listing a bunch of procedures and specialties is all very well, but to me personally it's not that impressive - it just means you got lucky and found a hospital with a well-organised work experience programme.

Definitely get the voluntary work on board, either in hospital or in the community, and start really thinking about what Medicine is when it's not fancy tests and clinics.

No don't get me wrong but I actually did everything you have said, I had very long conversations with alot of the patients and some of them were pretty relaxed and others were tense and most importantly was watching the doctors communicating with the patients letting them know of the procedure, the benefits and side effects. I like how in many cases the doctor will present treatments and let the patient choose while giving them guidance. Patient contact was very important to me, I went in to talk to the patients rather than follow the consultants because I think medicine involves alot of communication with the patient and in couple of years time thats what I want to do and I want to make sure I can do so. I also talked to junior doctors who told me about the whole process from getting into medical school, F1 F2 and the shifts, the commitment and what they actually do on a day to day basis. I also got to talk to a few registrars who went through their day tasks, how their shifts work, the MRCP and I also had decent conversations with the consultants who let me know about the dedication, commitment, their day to day job, repsonsibilities, medical errors and the consequences and primary healthcare system. I could go on for a while but I'll leave it at that. Thanks though :wink:
you still don't have enough (any?) voluntary experience. most successful applicants here have at least a year of ongoing contribution to a project of some form. you should really try and get involved with something. also, i think the idea that you think you've managed to see all there is to see in a fortnight is pretty telling.
Reply 12
kinglrb
No don't get me wrong but I actually did everything you have said, I had very long conversations with alot of the patients and some of them were pretty relaxed and others were tense and most importantly was watching the doctors communicating with the patients letting them know of the procedure, the benefits and side effects. I like how in many cases the doctor will present treatments and let the patient choose while giving them guidance. Patient contact was very important to me, I went in to talk to the patients rather than follow the consultants because I think medicine involves alot of communication with the patient and in couple of years time thats what I want to do and I want to make sure I can do so. I also talked to junior doctors who told me about the whole process from getting into medical school, F1 F2 and the shifts, the commitment and what they actually do on a day to day basis. I also got to talk to a few registrars who went through their day tasks, how their shifts work, the MRCP and I also had decent conversations with the consultants who let me know about the dedication, commitment, their day to day job, repsonsibilities, medical errors and the consequences and primary healthcare system. I could go on for a while but I'll leave it at that. Thanks though :wink:

Excellent. In that case talk more about that than a list of departments and different types of endoscopies!

I'd still say some long-term volunteering of some sort would be definitely beneficial, as well as possibly considering some sort of GP experience if you can get it.
Reply 13
Helenia
Excellent. In that case talk more about that than a list of departments and different types of endoscopies!

I'd still say some long-term volunteering of some sort would be definitely beneficial, as well as possibly considering some sort of GP experience if you can get it.

Oh thanks very much :biggrin: As for the volunteering, should I send e-mails out to various care homes or formal letters or phone and ask? I've applied to two hospices (Only ones in Newcastle) and they've told me basically that there is no chance of any more :frown: appreciate any advice thanks again :smile:
Reply 14
bright star
you still don't have enough (any?) voluntary experience. most successful applicants here have at least a year of ongoing contribution to a project of some form. you should really try and get involved with something. also, i think the idea that you think you've managed to see all there is to see in a fortnight is pretty telling.

I'm really passionate about medicine but this voluntary work is proven very difficult to get. I do some sort of volunteering but am not sure if it's relevant but I'm not really doing it for medicine. I do a CSLA (Community Sports Leadership Award) where we coach young children various sport including football, basketball and rugby and I've took part in a big charity event in my school set-up by the sixth-form (including me). We've managed to raise quite a bit £5000 which were split to three charities, Grace house hospice, Jeans For Genes and Ethiopia. So I was wondering if you could help me by pointing me in the right direction in getting voluntary work.
most of the stuff i did was through charities. i did some nice projects with age concern and they were really helpful and i'd strongly recommend getting involved with them, although they're more into active recruitment towards winter.

the other people that were helpful were macmillan nurses, and the stroke association. i used to help run a stroke club in my area.

i'd say think outside the box, decide what sort of thing you're interested in and try and think of something you can do related to that. use the phonebook or also this site can be helpful.

also you can probably do stuff at school. either with mentoring or running a club for younger students maybe. there's usually loads of things you can do in a school, especially if it's errrm a bit rougher. just have a think about what sort of thing you like and do that.
Reply 16
bright star
most of the stuff i did was through charities. i did some nice projects with age concern and they were really helpful and i'd strongly recommend getting involved with them, although they're more into active recruitment towards winter.

the other people that were helpful were macmillan nurses, and the stroke association. i used to help run a stroke club in my area.

i'd say think outside the box, decide what sort of thing you're interested in and try and think of something you can do related to that. use the phonebook or also this site can be helpful.

also you can probably do stuff at school. either with mentoring or running a club for younger students maybe. there's usually loads of things you can do in a school, especially if it's errrm a bit rougher. just have a think about what sort of thing you like and do that.

Oh that website is great, there are lots of oppurtunities that I love. Thank you very much, I'll rep you as soon as I can :smile:
Tyraell
As such, anything additional to that, in my rather limited experience, will probably have to be purely for your personal benefit.

You say it as if its a bad thing, I'm still doing the volunteering I started in year 12 and am loving it! Have organised another work experience too this summer just "for fun" so to speak.

I agree that perhaps you will only have space to write about a few different placements but the more you do the greater the width of your experiences will be, hopefully the more you will know about medicine and hopefully again you will be more sure whether it is the career for you.

At interview you will be more likely to be able to pick out a relevant example when discussing other topics if you have done more, so (as long as it isnt affecting your grades) I would say the more the better.
Reply 18
greenerwhiterblacker
You say it as if its a bad thing, I'm still doing the volunteering I started in year 12 and am loving it! Have organised another work experience too this summer just "for fun" so to speak.

I agree that perhaps you will only have space to write about a few different placements but the more you do the greater the width of your experiences will be, hopefully the more you will know about medicine and hopefully again you will be more sure whether it is the career for you.

At interview you will be more likely to be able to pick out a relevant example when discussing other topics if you have done more, so (as long as it isnt affecting your grades) I would say the more the better.

I agree entirely! I've only just stopped my hospice voluntary work after a year (even though I wrote my PS long ago) and I'm doing another Vitalise later this year because I liked it so much the first time :biggrin: The more experience the better, for yourself as much as anything - having decided that this will be your life's career it makes sense to do as much as you can to find out all about it firsthand.
Renal
You're thinking of experience purely as a means of getting in aren't you?

:frown:

thats not that bad as it may actually lead to interest and stuff. i saw my initial exp as a step i had to go through but i soon grew out of it.

Latest

Trending

Trending