The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cambridge
Further Mathematics is considered useful by Christ's, Churchill, Corpus Christi, Downing, Newnham, Gonville and Caius, Magdalene, Queens', and St John's Colleges. Economics is seen as useful preparation by all Colleges but it is not essential.

As a side note, I'm not sure Cambridge is the place for you if you don't want the extra work.

Edit: Your GCSE grades and subjects are very good. You certainly do have a chance. Good luck with your application.
Reply 2
I meant for A Levels - I'd rather AAAA than AAABB any day for example.
I'd be prepared to work like a pig if i ever get in!
Reply 3
Further maths is always good, they all like it. I advice you should go for further maths, since the colleges may hold it against you if your sixth form offers further maths. By saying its highly desirable they mean, if you re school offers it, then we want it, if it doesn't, then thats ok. They ll most likely invite you to do a bridging course, i know oxford offers it. This may vary person to person but in general this is a likely case.

So, overall, the advice is: do further maths.

On a side not, Cambridge is good for economics, but you wanna be going to the top of the lot go LSE or UCL.
Reply 4
Are they less strict on Further Maths?
Reply 5
No, LSE and UCL are the top of the pile, they ve probably got higher requirements. Getting into LSE - economics is a great achievement, some people with 8A*'s + with 5 A's at A level don't get in. It all really competitive.
Cambridge's Economics undergraduate degree is usually regarded as the best economics undergraduate degree in the UK. LSE is a worthy rival for those intent on banking, but UCL is not (though UCL is pretty bloody awesome). Don't let Frater's unrepresentative views mislead you.

And yes, Further Maths is pretty key! Take any opportunity you have to take it up.
Reply 7
Why not consider taking it instead of French or History if you're worried about the workload of five ASs? It's perfectly reasonable to be worried about that workload, because it'd be very large. However given that you're fairly certain about what subject you want to study at university, and that FMaths would give you a good advantage in getting good places to study that subject, it seems a shame not to use that advantage.
No - Further Maths is preferred by most colleges and if another candidate has it to offer then they would be higher up the list :frown:
Reply 9
I'm not sure what evidence you have to support the idea that taking further maths will automatically place you above a person who didn't take it on some list. It's certainly preferable to take it, though.
Reply 10
Is Further Maths AS just the same as normal Maths A2?
At the moment I'm learning C1, C2 and M1
What else would I have to do this year for 'Further Maths'?
And is it too late to start Further Maths.
One more thing: is it a separate grade to Maths so I can have a B in Maths (C1, C2, M1) and and A or B in Further Maths?
Reply 11
gooseymcgoose
Cambridge's Economics undergraduate degree is usually regarded as the best economics undergraduate degree in the UK. LSE is a worthy rival for those intent on banking, but UCL is not (though UCL is pretty bloody awesome). Don't let Frater's unrepresentative views mislead you.

And yes, Further Maths is pretty key! Take any opportunity you have to take it up.

That can only be described as balls.

UCL is not good? Are you on crack?

LSE is the best for economics and UCL follows, ok given Cambridge is great. But its not on the level with LSE.
coren111
Is Further Maths AS just the same as normal Maths A2?
At the moment I'm learning C1, C2 and M1
What else would I have to do this year for 'Further Maths'?
And is it too late to start Further Maths.
One more thing: is it a separate grade to Maths so I can have a B in Maths (C1, C2, M1) and and A or B in Further Maths?

Further Maths AS = FP1 + 2 applied modules
It is a bit late really, but it depends on how good you are at Maths. :wink:
You do get separate grades for Maths and Further Maths, yes.

And Further Maths is considered useful by the Economics department at Cambridge: http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/prospect/ba/index.html

Finally, Cambridge > LSE > UCL. :smile:
Reply 13
Frater
No, LSE and UCL are the top of the pile, they ve probably got higher requirements. Getting into LSE - economics is a great achievement, some people with 8A*'s + with 5 A's at A level don't get in. It all really competitive.

People with 8 A*s and 5A s are routinely rejected from Cambridge, and yes probably LSE, but not so much UCL...Cambridge and LSE are generally considered on a par, UCL below them. Stop talking rubbish, UCL is good - no-one has denied this - but in terms of prestige for economics LSE and Cambridge are better.
Reply 14
I know someone who has an offer without further maths A2 but this year they took up the AS, so I would probably recommend that. I have heard it is not too hard once you have done AS maths and are doing A2 so it would probably be a good idea. It would be possible to get in without but it would certainly strengthen your application if you were taking it at AS, although you should be certain you can get an A.

And I agree that Cambridge+ LSE> UCL for economics
Reply 15
MC REN
People with 8 A*s and 5A s are routinely rejected from Cambridge, and yes probably LSE, but not so much UCL...Cambridge and LSE are generally considered on a par, UCL below them. Stop talking rubbish, UCL is good - no-one has denied this - but in terms of prestige for economics LSE and Cambridge are better.

Simply... no. I'm not saying Cambridge isn't good, its great, but in my opinion UCL is better and at the end of the day; this is a subjective arguement which will vary person to person. Prestige? Come on, you can't be seriously making your assumptions on reputation alone.
Frater
Simply... no. I'm not saying Cambridge isn't good, its great, but in my opinion UCL is better and at the end of the day; this is a subjective arguement which will vary person to person. Prestige? Come on, you can't be seriously making your assumptions on reputation alone.

I suppose if you are more into the mathematical side of things then you'll prefer UCL's Economics course to Cambridge's.
coren111
Hi do i have any chance for economics without further maths ( i am quite good at it - just dont want the extra work)
GCSE 7A* 4A
AS Levels Economics Maths History French

Then why in the name of arse are you applying to Cambridge? Do we not do work here?!

Frater
Prestige? Come on, you can't be seriously making your assumptions on reputation alone.

Reluctant as I am to get dragged into this silly argument, I think you're being ridiculous; reputation is, at least partly, something that affects the success of job applications, and the success of job applications affects, at least partly, how good a university is to go to if you're bothered about that sort of thing. So no, it's an entirely objective argument. Whether UCL is better than Cambridge or not is irrelevant; if most employers prefer one university to another then that university is objectively better at getting you a job with their course, which is rather important for some people.
Reply 18
gooseymcgoose

Disagree, LSE Econ is considered top, i would argue Cambridge is second and UCL third. This is not just going from rankings, but also from the views of a few academics i know of, one of whom told me that if i had gotten into LSE then to take it over oxbridge regardless of me getting an offer or not. and he was a former oxford nad cambridge student and tutor...

theres not much in it eitherway

and if you want to go to cambridge, take Further Maths. Most Definitely. it will also help for LSE and UCL but perhaps not quite as much, but bearing in mine ur GCSEs are on the low side for LSE econ it will be a boost to your \app
Reply 19
I partly agree to that, but I'm sure neither of us know what employers regard as best. I agree that reputation is a significant part in getting a job, but I was under the impression that we were trying to justify which course is best, not graduate prospects.

Latest

Trending

Trending