The Student Room Group

Australian Universities

Hi, I have a question regarding international study...

In September I am travelling to Perth to begin my gap year, staying with a branch of family who already live there. I've been thinking that if I become too attached to the place (which I have done on previous visits) I may want to stay and study there at degree level when my gap year is complete. Now, I know this is not a problem but when it comes to finance, can an international student like myself still apply for a student loan? Sorry if this is an obvious question but I've never been good with money.

Lee
Reply 1
You won't be able to apply for financial support from either the Australian Government or British Government unfortunately. There are loan companies over here which will lend money to students, but the interest rates are fairly high.
why would you want to go to australian unis when you can pay domestic fees in the uk? oz unis (even their "top" ones) are decidedly subpar in comparison.
Reply 3
xxxchrisxxx
why would you want to go to australian unis when you can pay domestic fees in the uk? oz unis (even their "top" ones) are decidedly subpar in comparison.

I'm sure everyone has their reasons. I for one came to Australia because of family reasons, as much as I would have preferred to go to a uni in the UK.

Australian Unis are just as good as UK ones to be fair. Think of all the Australian graduates there are in decent jobs in the UK.
Reply 4
I think if we don't have enough money to support our uni fees,we do better not go there.that is my point.
xxxchrisxxx

What? ANU is absolutely fantastic, one of the best in the world.

Latest