The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
As everyone here agrees - you're definitely 'good enough' to apply. I guess in that case you must be 'the ideal oxbridge applicant' because they're looking for intelligent people. Thats the only 'qualifying criteria'.

Just make sure you make the right decision and pick Cambridge :p:
Rudrax
As everyone here agrees - you're definitely 'good enough' to apply. I guess in that case you must be 'the ideal oxbridge applicant' because they're looking for intelligent people. Thats the only 'qualifying criteria'.

Just make sure you make the right decision and pick Cambridge Oxford :p:

Fixed.

:wink:
Reply 42
*pitseleh*
Fixed.

:eek: :mad:

Reply 43
we move to a different school for year 9 where I go. When we moved up I had a DT teacher tell us with seemingly perfect sincerity that we had the worst set of CAT scores in years, and were a really thick year (this to the set 1).

Now my mum happened to be on the senior management team at the younger school, and so I knew we had got some of the best results ever as a year, and I personally had got one of the best scores they'd ever seen. So basically, he's probably just bull-crapping. Frankly, what would a critical thinking teacher in a state 6th know about sharpness for oxbridge, it's incredibly difficult to tell how smart people are if they're much smarter than you, and chances are he's a moron who says that kind of stuff to up his own self-importance.

Just ignore him/prove him wrong. he may be trying to inspire you, he may just be being a dick.
I hope my experience can be of some help to you. I'm from an average comprehensive in South Wales, and four students overall applied to Oxbridge last year (myself included - 3 for Cambridge, 1 for Oxford). We had very little help - a practice interview that was completely unsuitable; granted, we did have a trip of about 8 students to visit Oxford, but it didn't sway many people, because there wasn't much encouragement. Students here are quite averse to applying to Oxbridge because its seen as elitist and they resent the types of people they see as priviliged and 'posh', so not many people try.
Despite the lack of encouragement, 3 of the students (including myself) got pooled and came close to getting in, but unfortuately, we were all rejected eventually. I think the potential was there for one of us to get in, but the number of applicants that Oxbridge receives is just overwhelming. If you've got the drive, and a true love of your subject (no kidding - you need to be obssessed - lol!) I don't see any reason why you shouldn't give it a go. After all, the Oxbridge unis are looking for true talent and intelligence, not coached individuals. Just give it a go!
Plus, your teacher may just be saying that as a challenge - he could be goading you in the hope that you'll try and prove him wrong! :wink: So go ahead and prove him wrong!
Don't be disheartened if you don't get an offer - at least you have the experience of visiting the college and spending time discussing your subject with the lecturers and the students - who are awesome, really interesting people.
You've only really failed if you don't try!
Reply 45
*waves at autumn_breeze from Porthcawl Comprehensive*
Well, I would have done before I buggered off to university.
autumn_breeze04
but the number of applicants that Oxbridge receives is just overwhelming.

Not really. At Oxford there's about 2 to 3 to 4 applicants per place in most subjects. Exceptions: Medicine with about 7 applicants per place, and Economics and Management with about 10 (:eek: ). I think Cambridge is pretty well similar.

See Oxford stats here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/gazette/2007-8/supps/2_vol138.pdf.

Otherwise, agreed: especially "You've only really failed if you don't try"

DtS

Latest

Trending

Trending