The Student Room Group

Cambridge admissions score

I've read that Cambridge judges your GCSE results by using a score based on:
1. The amount of GCSEs you did which were grade A*/A
2. Which school you went to

I've calculated my GCSE score (7.2) but I don't know if this would be adjusted and, if so, by how much it would be adjusted based on the school I went to. How do I find this out? I've looked on the Cambridge admissions website and on various league tables but I haven't found any information on how to work out my school's score.

Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't worry about it. Your GCSE's are fine, you are predicted A's at Alevel, so focus on getting those. Those grades and you interview are more important right now. There is nothing wrong with your GCSEs.
Reply 2
Heh, I'm not worried about whether my grades are good enough, I just want to know what my admissions score would be.
Reply 3
I got 8.2. Any good?
Reply 4
I got 4.
I won't be applying there.
:smile:
nuodai
I've read that Cambridge judges your GCSE results by using a score based on:
1. The amount of GCSEs you did which were grade A*/A
2. Which school you went to

I've calculated my GCSE score (7.2) but I don't know if this would be adjusted and, if so, by how much it would be adjusted based on the school I went to. How do I find this out? I've looked on the Cambridge admissions website and on various league tables but I haven't found any information on how to work out my school's score.

Thanks in advance

There was a document that someone found about it going round TSR a year or more ago. Nonetheless, it's in Cambridge's best interests not to release such sensative and possibly media-provoking information.

It's a fair system, just don't worry about it; your curiosity will have to go unanswered, I'm afraid.
Reply 6
Look around these forums, there are people from very different backgrounds and with very different grades who are studying in Cambridge as I write this. So as long as you don't have seriously substandard grades and no reason for it, why would you worry?

I really, really don't understand why everyone is so quick in believing random formulae or other mysterious rumours surrounding the admissions process.
Reply 7
If I get 11A*s, do you think a place is more secure for me.:cool: I doubt it:rolleyes: :evilb:
really tbh they dont matter so much my score was only 5.4 and I still got an offer, GCSE's are weighted nearly as highly as other places (LSE/Imperial) where they barely look at applications without a certain number of A*/A
5. :s-smilie: Oh dear.
Reply 10
PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC!!! I've heard Cambridge only accept people with gcse's of 11 A*'s + PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC :biggrin: You gotta love people who panic about the number of A*'s they've got at gcse:tongue:
Who's panicking?
Reply 12
7.2 is a good score and if you're predicted AAA is more than enough to secure an interview. Some colleges decline to interview anyone with fewer than 5A* at GCSE but generally most regard the score, adjusted or otherwise, as a number and just one factor in your application.

However it's never a clincher and your application will depend on a lot more than that. It's possible, exceptionally, to be admitted with a score of 1.2 and possible to be rejected with 15. Good luck.
Reply 13
Camdon
Some colleges decline to interview anyone with fewer than 5A* at GCSE but generally most regard the score, adjusted or otherwise, as a number and just one factor in your application.

could you elaborate on this? I am doubtful that some colleges would decline to interview a candidate with less that 5A*, especially considering that 7A* is what is eeded to qualify for automatic pooling
Reply 14
Camdon
Some colleges decline to interview anyone with fewer than 5A* at GCSE

:confused: Which ones? I've never heard this before, that's a blanket policy, which I am sure is incorrect.
Really?
I only got like A*ABBCCCDDDDE at GCSE
But Predicted AAAA at A levels
(english literature, History, law, Photography)

hmmm
Reply 16
Camdon
Some colleges decline to interview anyone with fewer than 5A* at GCSE

Absolutely not true.
There is a vast amount of information on the way cambridge's admissions process works, easily found by searching on their website. FTB, you say it wouldn't be wise for some of this stuff to be out there, but i get the impression that over the last few years, cambirdge have taken the opposite opinion - presumably becasue then it's a lot harder for them to be accused of bias or of lacking transparency etc.

The whole gcse scoring system, along with a whole load of other stuff is http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/section2/2_6.html here, and thereabouts... The info the op is after is about 3/4s of the way down the page.
The whole gcse scoring system, along with a whole load of other stuff is http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/a...tion2/2_6.html here, and thereabouts... The info the op is after is about 3/4s of the way down the page.

Cheers for that =D
I was wondering how they Assessed applications
Reply 19
mercexe
:confused: Which ones? I've never heard this before, that's a blanket policy, which I am sure is incorrect.

I know of one for sure and as it may be sensitive information I'll decline to say which. It certainly isn't a blanket policy, most colleges would never limit themselves like this.

Joe555
I believe this is a classic example of, what we technically like to call: "talking out of your arse"

Are you talking to me? Check my profile.

jcb914
Absolutely not true.

Want to be a lawyer? Get your facts right before speaking.

Latest

Trending

Trending