The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'd just like to go to a May Ball, any May Ball...
I'm on the Jesus waiting list, maybe you could join that?

Trinity said my ticket application was unsuccessful, so unless Jesus comes through my only hope of going to two may balls this year (going to Robinson at the moment) is if I can hunt down someone from Johns to order me a ticket.
Reply 3
Meh, I don't think I'm going to go to a ball this year. It's not like I've not enjoyed my past two, but it's such a lot of money to spend. If the choice is between one big night and five smaller ones, I think I'd prefer the latter. Ok, so I might be missing out on memories and so on... but to be honest the best memory I have of a May Ball is punting out to Grantchester the morning after Queens' last year.
coldfish
Meh, I don't think I'm going to go to a ball this year. It's not like I've not enjoyed my past two, but it's such a lot of money to spend. If the choice is between one big night and five smaller ones, I think I'd prefer the latter. Ok, so I might be missing out on memories and so on... but to be honest the best memory I have of a May Ball is punting out to Grantchester the morning after Queens' last year.

Wow, that's stamina! After Clare last year even walking back to my room in King's (two minute walk) was such an effort.
Reply 5
The systems they have set up for buying tickets are ridiculously over-complicated. They should simply release them online and then let you pay for them there and then and guarantee you a ticket - just like any gig. The whole sign up at so-and-so a time, then take a cheque, and THEN find out whether you've even got a ticket, and then go and pick the ****er up system is crazy.

I want to go to a May Ball, not try for several, and then not find out which ones I've got till later, then have to cancel and lose deposits. They seem to have started with a hugely inefficient system, and then, rather than scrap it and modernise it, they've attempted to mould it to fit the purpose, which hasn't worked.

I'm hopefully going to three (Robinson, Clare and Tit Hall), but my only confirmed ticket at the minute is Tit Hall.
Reply 6
yep, my Trinity was also unsuccessful last night, and im gutted coz it sucks. I now dont know what to get the bloke for our anniversary. All my friends are going to jesus so wanted that as a backup but i was too late for the waiting list, so im probably not going to that either. which means im only going to pem june event this year :frown:
CamRob
The systems they have set up for buying tickets are ridiculously over-complicated. They should simply release them online and then let you pay for them there and then and guarantee you a ticket - just like any gig. The whole sign up at so-and-so a time, then take a cheque, and THEN find out whether you've even got a ticket, and then go and pick the ****er up system is crazy.

I want to go to a May Ball, not try for several, and then not find out which ones I've got till later, then have to cancel and lose deposits. They seem to have started with a hugely inefficient system, and then, rather than scrap it and modernise it, they've attempted to mould it to fit the purpose, which hasn't worked.

I'm hopefully going to three (Robinson, Clare and Tit Hall), but my only confirmed ticket at the minute is Tit Hall.

Completely agree with this.

It has improved since last year at some colleges (Clare didn't take a deposit last year which meant a ridiculous number of people applied for tickets and then decided against it) but it's still stupid.
Reply 8
swophie
hiya, I have 3 tickets to sell for jesus may ball 2008 - need to sell all 3 or can't really sell any (can't leave 1 friend in the lurch!). basically my friends and i (corpuscles) have decided to sell them and spend the money on V festival instead.... not too sure what the jesus policy is on selling them tho as we emailed and got no response (a bit worried about ID etc etc). anyone know anything about this??

on their online system, it lets you make name alterations, so presumably you could just change all the names? But it's still linked to your raven, so i don't know if the person who's raven ID is used to order has to be going? Not sure, see what the Jesus people (there's a joke about disciples there) say...
swophie
hiya, I have 3 tickets to sell for jesus may ball 2008 - need to sell all 3 or can't really sell any (can't leave 1 friend in the lurch!). basically my friends and i (corpuscles) have decided to sell them and spend the money on V festival instead.... not too sure what the jesus policy is on selling them tho as we emailed and got no response (a bit worried about ID etc etc). anyone know anything about this??

Hello, I would potentially be quite happy to buy two of these when you sort it out - could you PM me with details? x
Yep, and I would quite happily buy the final one.
Reply 11
Why would you sell them? All the cool kids are going to jesus may ball...
Jesus is really overrated... I went last year and it was kind of OK but hardly the Best Night Ever. Having said that, it's REALLY stupid judging a college May Ball on last year's, but it's the only way, so... :smile:
Reply 13
I went to Jesus last year, and it was both better and cheaper than the other one I went to (Downing). Admittedly that's not much of a basis for comparison, but I thought it was pretty good, especially for the price (which is higher this year, natch).
:ditto: Jesus was much better than downing... I kinda think Jesus has a really nice set of grounds for a may ball, and so long as the committee don't screw it up it can be really excellent.
Reply 15
Ozymandias
I went to Jesus last year, and it was both better and cheaper than the other one I went to (Downing). Admittedly that's not much of a basis for comparison, but I thought it was pretty good, especially for the price (which is higher this year, natch).

Downing wasn't that bad...
Reply 16
No, it wasn't. It was good fun. But Jesus was cheaper and had more going on.
Reply 17
Ozymandias
No, it wasn't. It was good fun. But Jesus was cheaper and had more going on.

True, hopefully it will be as good this year.
Reply 18
waiting list tickets will be like gold dust... yet another year goes by and Jesuans have failed to get there act together and get tickets for themselves so there is quite alot of college people still after ticekts... selling out that fast was a little reidiculous.

Ball should be better this year as rumour has it they are shifting the use of the grounds and taking on some of the nicer areas of the college.
Reply 19
JHutcher
waiting list tickets will be like gold dust... yet another year goes by and Jesuans have failed to get there act together and get tickets for themselves so there is quite alot of college people still after ticekts... selling out that fast was a little reidiculous.

Ball should be better this year as rumour has it they are shifting the use of the grounds and taking on some of the nicer areas of the college.

They gave loads of people I know two tickets accidentally as well.