The Student Room Group

Cambridge Computer Science (CompSci) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Right. I just found this out. Most colleges or I think all require Maths and TWO other sciences!
I'm only studying maths, further maths next year (which they will accept as one science), history and geography.

They want 2 from: Biology, chemistry, physics, further maths + an A grade in maths, and if taking the maths option a STEP in maths.
Oof, that's hefty.
Reply 42
Can't recommend further maths enough.

Also remember you are doing one natsci science in the first year too, so you might want to have physics / chemistry / biology (depends on what you want to pick)

Whoever said FM Mechanics isn't useful for CompSci, it has helped me *enormously* with maths and physics this year.

You get a wide range of a levels taken by people who get in for compsci here, but my combination of further maths / physics / chemistry seems fairly standard. Of course takig essay subjects is no problem, as long as you've got your sciences for natsci science and maths for natsci maths.

Actually might be useful for me to explain what you actually do in the first year...

1. Computer Science.
2. One NatSci science (or two, if you choose the 25% compsci option in which case you learn less compsci).
3. The NatSci Mathematics course.

so obviously some sciences and maths are required at a level...

take a look at the CL web site (www.cl.cam.ac.uk), they have a good page telling you what they consider to be courses required for compsci.

hope it helps, I'm happy to answer any more questions...
what are the average gcse grades of people on the course?
Reply 44
It's not something we really ask each other... I honestly have no idea. as long as you have a decent set of results it should be fine. it's your a levels that matter, really. if you get a load of D's at gcse then are predicated all A's by your teacher then that might raise a few eyebrows, but otherwise I don't think they are taken greatly into account.
but a decent set to a normal person, and to a cambridge studet are two different things :s-smilie: Does a decent set count as 7 + A*s or what :biggrin: ?
Reply 46
True, but hopefully by only taking as maths i wont be too disadvantaged when i come around to applying (assuming i get the grades)

I only did AS FM; that was the only bit we could fit in the timetables. The only further module we did was FP1.

Right. I just found this out. Most colleges or I think all require Maths and TWO other sciences!
I'm only studying maths, further maths next year (which they will accept as one science), history and geography.

No worries- if you're good and they want you, they'll take you! Do well in your maths and do as much as you can. I seem to be an anomaly : ) I did Maths, Art, ICT, General Studies, Further Maths AS, French AS, and AEA maths (because I thought not having a 'proper' science was a problem)
Reply 47
Go on then.. what did you all make of it?
xxx
Reply 48
I reckon I got about 60 on paper 1 and about 80 on paper 2...
Reply 49
wow!
nice one : )
xxx
Reply 50
mfb3000
I reckon I got about 60 on paper 1 and about 80 on paper 2...

Alright for some...

Paper 1 was was ok apart from the ml question - ml is my particular weakness. The last part of the first java q I didn't really get my head around properly so I just wrote some code about what I thought was going on.

Paper 2 should have been alright but several bits that came up I really should have revised but didn't (completely forgot about context free grammars and the discrete maths proof I read the day before but not learnt which means I got about 3 on that question... ah well). Digi Elec question 1 wasn't bad though, just k mapping! And PPE was ok I thought?
Reply 51
davidt
Alright for some...

Paper 1 was was ok apart from the ml question - ml is my particular weakness. The last part of the first java q I didn't really get my head around properly so I just wrote some code about what I thought was going on.

Paper 2 should have been alright but several bits that came up I really should have revised but didn't (completely forgot about context free grammars and the discrete maths proof I read the day before but not learnt which means I got about 3 on that question... ah well). Digi Elec question 1 wasn't bad though, just k mapping! And PPE was ok I thought?

Well, it is until you realise that I'm about to fail maths and chemistry tomorrow... I started revising chemistry today and I've just got halfway through the first terms work... Still got organic, thermo, kinetics and inorganic to go. Rubbish.

I had actually looked over context-free grammars that day, and I made up the discrete maths proof about bijections on the spot but it seemed to hold - it was quite wordy but made sense. The philosophy/ethics question was a joke... I've never read the BCS code of conduct before so I just made up a whole load of junk and hoped that some of it touched on the right points enough to get me some marks... If I'm going to tell the truth, I may as well have put 'once upon a time' in front of my answer for that 8-marker and it would have still been the same, just fishing for marks.
Reply 52
PPE was good!!
As was SD :biggrin:

I should've done d.el 1, I did 2. I only realised this at the end. Pfft.

D Math I may have 3 marks from defining in/surjection. I made up some wordy thing after that as well!

Probability mostly ok.

Paper 1 = bad, with the exception of OS.

Maths = don't even go there.

really.
Reply 53
I haven't met one person who thought maths today was anything other than absolutely solid. Don't worry! I thought it was horrible.

Hopefully paper 2 will have easier stuff on it. And Frank King was right, I did end up getting distracted by the nice ceiling... :frown:
EvenStevens
Yeah 990 for Computer science seems a bit steep. I know it's Cambridge and all but comp sci is not that popular.
QUOTE]
i have that same propectus, the figures are from like 2004 i think, so they are a bit out of date.

but yeah, if you want to do compsci at cambridge then you need furhter maths to at least As. i got accpeted to the course starting in 08 (:biggrin:) and the further maths As was part of the offer
Reply 55
Oh god. The maths today was like walking into a sharp pointy stick, except the stick is imaginary and pointing in a direction equally tilted against the i j k vectors.
Reply 56
I've definitely got over 50% in the maths today, I'm happy with that. Chemistry... bleh. another 50-60%er. I'm wishing for the good old days where I could get 95 without trying...
Reply 57
mfb3000
I've definitely got over 50% in the maths today, I'm happy with that. Chemistry... bleh. another 50-60%er. I'm wishing for the good old days where I could get 95 without trying...

We all do. But this is Cambridge where the work is hard and the exams harder. I'm sure you will have done absolutely fine judging by how you were 'going to fail' those two... :rolleyes:
Reply 58
davidt
We all do. But this is Cambridge where the work is hard and the exams harder. I'm sure you will have done absolutely fine judging by how you were 'going to fail' those two... :rolleyes:

Ok, so maybe that was slightly melodramatic. But I *was* going to fail, until I actually got off my arse and did some work. One days cramming for Maths and one for Chem and I'm getting average marks. I guess I'm not too shabby at cramming...
Reply 59
And Frank King was right, I did end up getting distracted by the nice ceiling...

SAME

Then again, FK is *always* right : )

Maths today should've been good. Just a bit annoyed with myself. Had a stupid mind blank for working out the PIs.

Bluh.

At least we're done : )

xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending