The Student Room Group

Cambridge Computer Science (CompSci) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
caaakeeey
Please don't imply you can get away with that, I wanted to have to revise properly for once. =(

In my experience revising the methodologies involved in exam questions is better for me than just reviewing notes. Doing computer science seems to hammer it in more than reading about it.

Don't worry, I spent $@#$# loads of time in panic mode in exam term :P
Well the keyword I picked out was more 'haphazardly' rather than 'past papers'. Obviously past papers is much more efficient.
Reply 102
caaakeeey
Well the keyword I picked out was more 'haphazardly' rather than 'past papers'. Obviously past papers is much more efficient.

You might notice it's a Cambridge tradition to make light of how much work you do :wink:. Otherwise, nobody would ever apply again :P.

Recommendation - start the revision schedule way into Easter holiday, leaves you with much more confidence and less haphazard revision scrums until 2AM in the morning.
Reply 103
wrt SunderX, he works hard, and also from what I've seen he works fairly well. If you do the same you'll do well. If you don't, you won't.
Reply 104
I am pretty determined I want to study Computer Science at Cambridge University.

I have recently started Year 11 and I am the highest achieving student in Science and Maths.
In the top 20 for English lit (>.< still got a A)

Predicted A aspirational A* for all my grades, except Design Technology which I am predicted a C/D although a A/B grade is looking much more likely.
(My secondary school is pretty low standard)

The college subjects I hope to pick are
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Biology

I will try to persuade my parents let me drop Biology and Chemistry after the first year. I am not really bothered about those subjects.

I know Computer Science is especially unpopular in Cambridge because applicants who are offered a place could quite easily study any subject they want at most universities in the world/UK.
I also know that Cambridge doesn't simply offer places at the university because people don't want them (by looking at the statistics) I saw that it seems to be purely based on your grade/interview.

My main questions are:
Is Computer Science worth it, bearing in mind I really like the subject. Would I be able to make at least £80k a year 2 - 3 years after graduating?
Based on my GCSE results do I have the 'ability' to get good enough grades at College. I am worried by the fact that 5 subjects may cause my to under perform.

Are my college subject choices good?
Reply 105

Is Computer Science worth it, bearing in mind I really like the subject. Would I be able to make at least £80k a year 2 - 3 years after graduating?

You've answered your own question here.

and as for grades, well, who can tell, seeing as how you've not even got GCSEs yet? From how you describe yourself you seem like someone who has a high chance of getting in, but there's no method for predicting exactly who gets offers and who doesn't, so the best anyone can do is to tell you to apply and see from there.
DDoS
Would I be able to make at least £80k a year 2 - 3 years after graduating?

You really should set your sites a bit more realistically. While it is possible that a handful of people will earn that kind of money after a short period, most graduates, from any university, won't be earning half that in the timescale mentioned. Indeed, most graduates won't ever make £80,000 at today's prices.
Reply 107
Good bloke
You really should set your sites a bit more realistically. While it is possible that a handful of people will earn that kind of money after a short period, most graduates, from any university, won't be earning half that in the timescale mentioned. Indeed, most graduates won't ever make £80,000 at today's prices.

I am hoping that the rep that comes with studying in Cambridge would make me a attractive option for larger businesses. Where I can work and gain experience for a large number of years. The money is more of a concern to my parents than me :yep:. I suppose for the first 5 years after graduation I cant really expect more than £30 - 40k.

Although I am planning to get at least a master degree if not Phd in Computer science.
That leads me onto another question I would like to ask. Is getting acceptance to do Master Degree/Phd hard? I can't really imagine it being harder than getting into Cambridge itself, do I have to have first honours degree to be able to move onto master/Phd or do they allow most students to go through?
Reply 108
DDoS

Are my college subject choices good?

No. You won't get paid this much in any subject you do, let alone Computer Science.

The highest grad job salary I've seen as a software developer is 35K/year, an average one might be ~28K/year. You could of course also go work at a bank, but then why would you study compsci then?

The Cambridge CS PhD program will only take candidates who get a strong first in their bachelors degrees - this is probably less than the top 25% of the class.

Also, if you're an international student you might want to know that new immigration legislation coming into effect this year means it's impossible to secure a long term work visa without a masters degree.
Reply 109
The subjects you're looking at for college are pretty much perfect. Though I would suggest not setting your eyes on just one university as it will only end in disappointment if it does not work out. Just try to do your best this and next year.
Reply 110
SunderX

The highest grad job salary I've seen as a software developer is 35K/year, an average one might be ~28K/year. You could of course also go work at a bank, but then why would you study compsci then?

Thanks for your advice SunderX.
I am slightly confused now, I had thought that with a degree in the chosen subject I would have many potentially well paying employment options in research, security and maybe software programming companies.

It seems as though I am wrong. Serious re-consideration taking place
:woo:

Quote from one of the professors at Cambridge:
"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes".
Reply 111
silver_j
The subjects you're looking at for college are pretty much perfect. Though I would suggest not setting your eyes on just one university as it will only end in disappointment if it does not work out. Just try to do your best this and next year.

I know, but I am the sort of person who always aims for the Number 1 possible position regardless of current circumstances, and that will help me push myself to my limit.

As long as I squeeze every last drop of performace out of myself now I can worry about the dissapointment later. :eek3:
Thanks for your advice though, I might come back to this thread in 3 years time and laugh/cry (lol).
DDoS

I will try to persuade my parents let me drop Biology and Chemistry after the first year.

Do you think they'll let you buy your own clothes soon also?

Anyway, those subjects are fine. But why such a desire to go to cambridge? I've heard people say you could do their degree without ever touching a computer as it's mainly a maths degree. Your quote seems to back this up.

Also, what's with the obsession with money? I'm guessing this is your parents expections rubbed off on you again. Life isn't all about money, and you should choose a degree you want to do and would like doing otherwise you will fail at it and then won't get any job.

You could do a cambridge law degree, but if you don't pass it you might as well not have one.
Reply 113
DDoS

Quote from one of the professors at Cambridge Djikstra:
"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes".

FTFY

Your subjects seem fine, although your dreams of 80k 2-3 years after graduating are a bit far fetched..
Reply 114
etp
Your subjects seem fine, although your dreams of 80k 2-3 years after graduating are a bit far fetched..

I think "dreams" is a drastic term. My expectation would be more fitting.

TheWakeUpCall
Do you think they'll let you buy your own clothes soon also?

Anyway, those subjects are fine. But why such a desire to go to cambridge? I've heard people say you could do their degree without ever touching a computer as it's mainly a maths degree. Your quote seems to back this up.

Also, what's with the obsession with money? I'm guessing this is your parents expections rubbed off on you again. Life isn't all about money, and you should choose a degree you want to do and would like doing otherwise you will fail at it and then won't get any job.

You could do a cambridge law degree, but if you don't pass it you might as well not have one.

I wanted Law at first, but could I compete with the standards? Especially since I have studied in below average independent schools. Not exactly the best start in life.
Law would be good if I had a decent chance of pulling through (with my sanity and eyesight intact).

Once I get the degree in Law things would be awesome, getting it is the main problem.

As for the money thing, well if I decide to go for it, and spend a good amount of my life studying I don't see why I shouldn't get a good income.

At the moment I am undergoing a state of confusion and disarray. :eek3:
DDoS

As for the money thing, well if I decide to go for it, and spend a good amount of my life studying I don't see why I shouldn't get a good income.

There isn't necessarily any correlation between time spent studying and earnings. Research jobs (which often follow from postgraduate degrees) are notoriously badly paid, and income during time spent studying is extremely low. Your ideas of "good income" seem to be somewhat optimistic, to say the least.
I was being sarcastic about law.

If you are tossing up between either doing a computer science degree or a law degree, you clearly have no idea what you want to do and you just want money.

I would therefore suggest growing up a bit, and pursue happiness rather than enough money to buy every toy you like the look of in the toy shop.
Reply 117
TheWakeUpCall
I was being sarcastic about law.

If you are tossing up between either doing a computer science degree or a law degree, you clearly have no idea what you want to do and you just want money.

I would therefore suggest growing up a bit, and pursue happiness rather than enough money to buy every toy you like the look of in the toy shop.

Lol, I don't want to go into the money/happiness debate. But for some people money= happiness.

As for the 'sarcastic' comment about studying law. Well I could just study it at a less academically vigorous uni and have a good chance of leaving with a good BSC.

And I don't really understand what you are trying to get across with the joke about the toy shop. Are you trying to be funny? Offensive? I really don't see how doubting a career option because it doesn't pay as much as you first expected (although my expectations where not based on any factual evidence what-so-ever) is childish.
Or maybe I am childish for having expectations which turned out to be incorrect?

And yes I am looking for money. I can see myself enjoying Law as much as Computer Science and quite a few other subjects.

I can enjoy and appreciate most things once I start to understand it.
Reply 118
DDoS

I wanted Law at first, but could I compete with the standards? Especially since I have studied in below average independent schools.

Clearly everyone studying at Cambridge is from a highly prestigious independent school and all those people are just pretending to be from comprehensives and grammar schools.
Reply 119
around
Clearly everyone studying at Cambridge is from a highly prestigious independent school and all those people are just pretending to be from comprehensives and grammar schools.

Well actually I have never been in a highly prestigious school. Although my college is in the top 5 best independent colleges (or something like that).

I will be attending my college next year.
(I like to plan ahead lol)

I think aiming for Cambridge is ambitious enough (even with a unpopular subject such as Computer Science) I don't think I will aim to go to Cambridge and study law. Although I like ambitious targets I'm not going to take it too far.

But who knows? I suppose we are all human, a good school can only help you so much the rest is up to you.
(Still, me getting into Cambridge is unlikely as it is)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending