The Student Room Group

Cambridge Computer Science (CompSci) Students and Applicants

Hi

I'm thinking of applying to computer science at Cambridge which is a highly competitive subject. 990 applications last year, 81 places.

I don't think my GCSEs are good enough for Cambridge:
6A: Maths, Double Science, Business Studies, RE, Citizenship
2a*: History, Geography
3B: Eng lang, Eng Literature, GNVQ ICT (I dunno why they made me do this silly course in my GCSE years)

AS courses: History, Maths, Computing, Geography

Are these courses good enough?

Also, is there anything else I need to do in order to make sure that I get in to cambridge.

Scroll to see replies

Maybe you could pick up AS further maths next year?
Reply 2
you might want to have physics in there too.
You're GCSEs will suffice to get you in with consideration, but you really need physics and/or further maths to maximize your chances.

Also, I thought computer science was one of the lesser popular courses.
990???! I thought it was 220ish according to the reports on the website !
Yeah. I was pretty shocked myself. This is from a prospectus that was written by students at Cambride.
If you saw 220ish from the reports on the website, then I guess that is a closer figure

Well, out of physics and further maths, which do you feel would benefit me more as an AS next year?
Further maths.
Reply 7
Lieutenant Scheisskopf
Yeah. I was pretty shocked myself. This is from a prospectus that was written by students at Cambride.
If you saw 220ish from the reports on the website, then I guess that is a closer figure

Well, out of physics and further maths, which do you feel would benefit me more as an AS next year?

as an AS, go for further maths.
Reply 8
Lieutenant Scheisskopf
I'm thinking of applying to computer science at Cambridge which is a highly competitive subject. 990 applications last year, 81 places.

According to the website, it was 231 applications and 62 accepted in 2006. And my Computing teacher has been going on about the number of applications falling every year. So it's probably one of the least competitive subjects.

But I echo the comments about Further Maths and Physics.

At my school, the one person who got an offer for Computer Science at Cambridge this year did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing. I don't think they cared too much about Computing as they excluded it from his offer.
alex_hk90
According to the website, it was 231 applications and 62 accepted in 2006. And my Computing teacher has been going on about the number of applications falling every year. So it's probably one of the least competitive subjects

That sounds better. Thanks for the info.
Reply 10
I would stick to Further Mathematics. If you can do the full A-level as that will increase your chances by a lot.
no, its mainly the AS part, the a2 part is "helpful"
aye. I can only do the AS part unfortunately. I will apply for it next year.
Thanks
Yeah 990 for Computer science seems a bit steep. I know it's Cambridge and all but comp sci is not that popular.

And as everyone has said, Further maths will help enormously. Why can you only do it 'till AS?
Reply 14
hsn
no, its mainly the AS part, the a2 part is "helpful"

I disagree. The more Mathematics you do the better your application becomes.
WokSz
I disagree. The more Mathematics you do the better your application becomes.

True, but hopefully by only taking as maths i wont be too disadvantaged when i come around to applying (assuming i get the grades)
Reply 16
Theoretical computer science can be highly mathematical though... just not necessarily the kind of mathematics usually studied in secondary school.
Reply 17
hsn
True, but hopefully by only taking as maths i wont be too disadvantaged when i come around to applying (assuming i get the grades)

As long as you do AS Further Mathematics, you're in for a good chance! :smile:
EvenStevens

And as everyone has said, Further maths will help enormously. Why can you only do it 'till AS?

I'm in AS now. My college offers an AS course for A2 students, so they can only do AS in that final year.
Only till AS should be fine anyway (I hope!)

Quick Reply

Latest