The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If a person would otherwise cross the threshold for an offer, the fact that they happen to be a sportsman shows that they are especially efficient in being able to meet the academic standards too - not that they are a worse candidate than they would be otherwise.

I'd dispute that. 'Crossing the threshold for an offer' surely means that the tutors have considered the person both to have the required mental aptitude, which is probably the most important thing, and to be capable of putting in the work to necessary to gain full benefit from the course.

So, I think it follows that their status as a sportsman can't be detached from the question of whether they would 'cross the threshold' otherwise, because it may affect the student's ability to put in the required work and therefore is one of the many factors, positive and negative, that are weighed up when assessing an application's strength regarding the two criteria mentioned. In that respect I don't think it's any different to the way in which, say, a poor result in a GCSE might concern a tutor about an applicant's suitability.

Having said that, I think it would be extremely unfair to discriminate against someone because he or she plays high-level sport, because there is no real evidence to support the assumption that they will work less than anyone else. I expect tutors realise this, and accordingly don't discriminate against high-level athletes.

EDIT: Act I think I'm arguing against a point that you never really made in paras 1 and 2 - and para 3 basically re-phrases what you said. Oops:P
Reply 21
Regarding the whole native speaker at a level issue, I know a lad who not only DID an A Level in German having lived there for 10 years, but also got into cambridge to do MML- so anything is possible.

Latest

Trending

Trending