The Student Room Group

Physics A level exam board without coursework?

Hi,

If I were to teach myself A level physics without attending an institute, I would need an exam board that is purely theory/exam based without the coursework and practical lessons, does anyone know of any?

TIA.
Reply 1
I do Edexcel Physics. There is no coursework, but there are practical exams - which account for half of each of Units 3 and 5. i.e. 1/6 of each of AS and A2 and therefore 1/6 of the whole A2.

Generally, (I think) it's coursework, practical exams or both, depending on what board you pick - i'm not aware of any which are entirely theoretical. Maybe there is such a thing as an A-level in "theoretical physics" which might then be purely exams.
I don't know if this is at all advisable, but there are plenty of websites for students which tell you all you need to know for the practical exams, without giving you any experience in it. As long as you know the method and the theory, the practical side is easy. As I said, whether doing Edexcel physics Alevel without having any practical experience is... somewhat unfavourable to say the least.
Reply 3
I tried to take physics as a private candidate but NO ONE would let me take the practical unless i paid on average £1500 to register with a college (even online ones are very expensive). in my experience of trying about 50 centres you are screwed unless you have money. personally i think its well out of order and the barrier of the practical prevents many home students from obtaining the qualification. this is how the education industry works

Quick Reply

Latest