The Student Room Group

Physics - a needed A level for Med? =\

I'm finding it hard to finalize my A level choices.
I'm thinking it will be a good idea to take physics at A level because I want to go into medicine, but I'm not all that great at maths and there is no way I'm taking maths A level.
I've kind of come to the decision on
Biology, Chemistry, Psychology & Physics - maybe?
But Religious Studies does appeal to me because it looks interesting..I'm not sure if I should do that instead of physics?..

I'm just wondering what do you think would be the best combination to do?

If I don't do physics will that really put me at a disadvantage because I have less sciences? My maths isn't wonderful so I was also wondering how hard is the maths? Just GCSE level?

-I know physics A level isn't required for medicine at every uni but I don't want to limit my chances. I can't help but feel like if I take 2 sciences when a lot of people have 3 or 4, that I'd look less serious about med.....

Thanks in advance :frown:

Scroll to see replies

physics at a level is maths heavy.. just take RS
Those A-Level choices are too sciencey try and do a art subject such as english or history i know its not needed but it will play in your advantage but chem and bio are must haves maths AS would be advised
uhm.. chemistry is mandatory and biology would be a good cominbation for medicine..
it's not required anywhere. if you're not very good at it, it'll have a negative impact on your other subjects. i did philosophy and italian (albeit with maths as well) and i don't think it makes you less serious by any means. choose subjects that you're good and and that you'll enjoy, that's how you do well at a level.
Reply 5
I can't give advice on what combo best to study for medicine - however, I know that in my physics a-level class, myself and all the other students who were studying mathematics found it significantly easier compared to the students who weren't taking maths, who really struggled. That's not to say you can't do it, but you're making a lot of extra work for yourself.
Reply 6
goodbyeforever
Those A-Level choices are too sciencey try and do a art subject such as english or history i know its not needed but it will play in your advantage but chem and bio are must haves maths AS would be advised

Hmm.okay..thank you
So, do you think that
Chem,Bio,Phys & R.s would be better? Or should I do english lit instead of R.s?...
Ha thats exactly my current AS levels as i think ive said to u before

a slight bit of advice ... Physics is VERY maths heavy and im no good at maths either so its abit annoyin!

im hopin to take on another AS next yr cos im not gona do very well in physics this yr!

and i want to do medicine aswell!

Psychology rocks thou my best subject by a long shot!
Reply 8
bright star
it's not required anywhere. if you're not very good at it, it'll have a negative impact on your other subjects. i did philosophy and italian (albeit with maths as well) and i don't think it makes you less serious by any means. choose subjects that you're good and and that you'll enjoy, that's how you do well at a level.

Well, some unis say they want Chem,Bio and Physics OR Maths ..Cambridge for example, even though I do not want to go there..
Reply 9
tom_tom_tom
Ha thats exactly my current AS levels as i think ive said to u before

a slight bit of advice ... Physics is VERY maths heavy and im no good at maths either so its abit annoyin!

im hopin to take on another AS next yr cos im not gona do very well in physics this yr!

and i want to do medicine aswell!

Psychology rocks thou my best subject by a long shot!

Are you finding physics difficult? what grade did you get at maths gcse?
Jinxy
Are you finding physics difficult? what grade did you get at maths gcse?

Im finding physics very hard!

althou the stuff at the moment is fine its just the forces and motion module that rele threw me, its alot of vectors, trignometry, and general re arranging of quations not nice!

i got a B in maths! was 3 marks of an A arwell... wasnt suppost to be!
Reply 11
RS is actually very good for medicine because you get to do all the ethics and that. doing physics wouldnt necessarily help your application to medicine, youve already got the important ones (chemistry and biology). The other two i think are completely up to you, personally, i would still do physics and then RS probably.
And physics at a level doesnt contain too much maths. ok well, the mechanics section does, but you can do most of it with just GCSE maths, the only new maths youll learn is radians and logs (both of which are easy).
Jinxy
Well, some unis say they want Chem,Bio and Physics OR Maths ..Cambridge for example, even though I do not want to go there..

no they don't.... you can still apply to cambridge, not all colleges have equal requirements, you just need to choose a college that only asks for two. there are many.

do you have another example?? some places ask for them at AS if you failed to get a or sometimes an A at GSCE. however, if you can't do that at GCSE, i would advise leaving it, you'll find it really hard at AS if you're not interested and aren't very good at it. give yourself a break and stop reading so much into it all.
Reply 13
bright star
no they don't.... you can still apply to cambridge, not all colleges have equal requirements, you just need to choose a college that only asks for two. there are many.

do you have another example?? some places ask for them at AS if you failed to get a or sometimes an A at GSCE. however, if you can't do that at GCSE, i would advise leaving it, you'll find it really hard at AS if you're not interested and aren't very good at it. give yourself a break and stop reading so much into it all.

I'm not exactly sure if/where I read it anywhere else, so I can't show an example. It may have been what I was told by someone else that's confusing me. :frown:
Can I please just ask, what would you advise me to take if I don't do physics? out of the subjects I listed?
and lol, yes I probably need to stress out less about this! Just don't wanna mess up..
Reply 14
What exam board might it be? Find out. A level Physics for AQA B never goes beyond GCSE maths.
blah what i wrote didn't make sense there i mean "a B or sometimes an A"

erm if you're no good at maths and physics i would just forget about them. people at my school did history with italian, psychology with english, history with RS.

what do you like? what are you good at? you should do things that fit into both categories. you should be capable of an A in whichever subjects you choose or you've made a bad choice.
I believe 2 girls in my physics class who are intending to do medicine were advised to take A Level Physics since they're not doing maths. However, they do struggle with it as they're not very mathematically minded and they're having to do a lot of work to get an A.
Reply 17
bright star
blah what i wrote didn't make sense there i mean "a B or sometimes an A"

erm if you're no good at maths and physics i would just forget about them. people at my school did history with italian, psychology with english, history with RS.

what do you like? what are you good at? you should do things that fit into both categories. you should be capable of an A in whichever subjects you choose or you've made a bad choice.

It's strange because...I'm good at GCSE triple science physics even though there's maths but the maths and formulas arn't difficult at GCSE. My teacher told me physics is a huge step up from GCSE, more so than some other subjects which is what worries me.

I'm good at most essay based subjects, I like english but R.s and english and both essay kinda subjects. Just thought what I learn in R.s is more useful than learning about books in english.
Physics is not needed but Maths would be useful.
A humanity type subject will be good and RS should do well for you because during interviews and things you have to discuss quite a bit of ethics (from what my friends tell me) and having done some RS arguements and things it might help you.
Reply 19
University of Cambridge Website

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/medicine/requirements.html
Please note that in the following 'science/mathematics subjects' refers to Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and Further Mathematics. It does not include Psychology.
GCE AS and A level requirement
Passes in three of the following: Biology; Chemistry; Physics; Mathematics. One of the subjects must be Chemistry and at least one pass must be at GCE A level.
Expectations and preferences

All Colleges strongly prefer applicants to have Chemistry A level.

All Colleges prefer applicants to have two science/mathematics subjects at A level – note that most applicants for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine at Cambridge have at least three science/mathematics A levels. Applicants with two science/mathematics A levels will be expected to have scientific ability comparable with those who are taking three and will, wherever possible, be considered equally with them.

The following Colleges prefer applicants to have three science/mathematics subjects at A level: Christ’s, Jesus, Magdalene, Newnham, St John’s, Trinity. In the case of Magdalene, this must include A level Mathematics.

Colleges (except Christ's, St John's and Trinity) will, exceptionally, consider applicants taking only one science subject at A level, provided this subject is Chemistry. In this case you will still be expected to show a very high level of scientific ability. You are likely to be disadvantaged in all Colleges when compared with those of comparable ability taking more science/mathematics A levels.

Hmm, I wonder if there's a change of wording in there making the AS/A2 things more explicit.
Anyhow, if you don't want to go to Cambridge - does it matter? At my university if i'd wanted to do other science courses I should have had Maths, but I didn't - I wanted to do Medicine, so it was irrelevant. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending