The Student Room Group

PWC, Deloitte or KPMG

Scroll to see replies

brabz you in the salsburry square office?

I work in valuations (5th floor) haha, we might have seen each other lol
Reply 41
Haha, indeed, it appears we're on the same floor too, albeit on the opposite ends. Small world :-)
Reply 42
If you don't stay at KPMG where will you go brabzzz?
Reply 43
I will probably stay for the forseeable future. You can go anywhere though, especially when the markets are good.

If I left it would probably be to be a tandem skydiving instructor in New Zealand...so it would really be a 'feck-this' career move rather than a hop to IB! :-)
leave KPMG? blasphemy

hahaha what a small world indeed mate, i'm currently in puddle dock doing my audit secondment but absolutely loved the place

salisburry sqaure >>>> puddle dock (i.e. in terms of appearance lol)

what section do you work in?
Reply 45
brabzzz
KPMG CF
No ACA, they put you through the CFQ instead. Nothing stopping you doing it in your own time though. One of the guys has done all but one of the ACA exams in just over year - in addition to working and CFQ study! Hardcore...

Do they pay for the ACA exams, or do they just not give you study leave for them?
Reply 46
PE M&A. Did 8 months i Vals though - they're a good bunch!

They pay for the exam associated with your grad scheme. In the case of CF, it's not the ACA. You could then do a different one off your own back and try and wrangle something out of them...ie try and blag some study leave
yeah there is a guy in my department whose doing the ACA on top (mad if you ask me with the work load lol)

KPMG obviously don't pay for his ACA exams (as neither would any firm) but this is where there people friendly element comes in ALOT, they have given him alot of time off to revise for his exams etc as well as the days of the exams themselves
Reply 48
Hi everyone, I was wondering where people went to obtain information for research in to firms and the industry i.e. websites etc. Any tips and hints would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply 49
I assume you have already gone to each of their websites?! Problem is they often don't tell you much/truth.

There is a fairly new website called www.big4gossip.com

It is pretty honest and has PWC, KPMG salaries and benefits etc and also has a firm guide written by people inside the firm.

Hope this helps.
Reply 50
There is a new website called Big4Gossip where they give the London audit salary and also have firm guides from 'insiders'.

http://www.big4gossip.com/news/home
Reply 51
Average Salaries

Someone was asking about what the average salaries are for accountants.......

This website has a decent breakdown of Accountant Salaries

http://www.bringonretirement.co.uk/Home/News/How-Well-Paid-Are-You-.aspx
YouAreWhatYouEat
yeah there is a guy in my department whose doing the ACA on top (mad if you ask me with the work load lol)

KPMG obviously don't pay for his ACA exams (as neither would any firm) but this is where there people friendly element comes in ALOT, they have given him alot of time off to revise for his exams etc as well as the days of the exams themselves

do you mean what when you are studying for ACA they are not paying you a salary in your first, second & third year???
Reply 53
Think he was saying that someone from a dept that do not take the ACA exams was paying to take the ACA himself.

Not sure many people would take the exams if they weren't getting paid!
mjdt
Think he was saying that someone from a dept that do not take the ACA exams was paying to take the ACA himself.

Not sure many people would take the exams if they weren't getting paid!

Yeah that is what I thought. So why would pay yourself for ACA strange..:confused:
Anyway, thanks for the answer.

The only thing which concerns me is the hours in audit. As I had other offer and rejected mainly because I want 'normal' life balance.
Reply 55
Don't think the work-life balance in audit is that bad (outside of busy season).

I work in advisory and the hours are definitely worse!
Original post by YouAreWhatYouEat
well the time best big companies to work for, 4 years in a row, is an award for prestige also, but for the OP it matters more of which place he feel's better at

well these are the FACTS

1. redundancies have been made at PWC! and as far as i can tell there have been none made at KPMG or Deloitte - i will try and search through my IE history to find the article in question

2. PWC ARE LOOSING FTSE100 MARKET SHARE!!! and as i said above personally i would rather work for a company who is growing in market share than one who is loosing it - there are numerous articles about this on the accountancy forum

hahahaha are you joking here!

KPMG ARE 100% THE BEST FOR CF - WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT

have a look at the tompson league tables and you will CLEARLY see this! they rank top over any big 4 firm and also beat many investment banks, there is no question about this - as i said just visit the tompson league tables for a guide

hahaha your not biased, you work at PWC hahahah!

you have NOT even worked at KPMG so how can you criticise it so! i have had the opportunity to work at both firms and again i say KPMG>>>>>>>>>>

5 years on I hope you can still see this.

You have been EVER SO WRONG about PwC losing its FTSE 100 market share LOL. It's almost 50% now, almost as much as the other Big4 combined.

So glad that I got hired by PwC for London 2013 start. 9 years in a row at number 1 for the Times top 100 graduate employers, PwC is clearly the best and continues to grow.
Original post by Summa Laude

You have been EVER SO WRONG about PwC losing its FTSE 100 market share LOL. It's almost 50% now, almost as much as the other Big4 combined.

So glad that I got hired by PwC for London 2013 start. 9 years in a row at number 1 for the Times top 100 graduate employers, PwC is clearly the best and continues to grow.

I doubt it for 2 reasons. One, they haven't been active since October 2008, and two, they're banned.
Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin
I doubt it for 2 reasons. One, they haven't been active since October 2008, and two, they're banned.

Ah pity.
Reply 59
Original post by Summa Laude

Isn't he talking about CF in that post? Not audit market share of the FTSE 100? From what I know (granted hearsay so may be completely off base); KPMG lead CF, PWC lead audit, Deloitte lead consulting and E&Y look pretty.

Anyway, you both sound a bit childlike to be honest (even though the other poster will be an old man by now). 'My firms better', 'no my firms better'. They're all the same thing in a different wrapper, let's be honest about it. Unless you work for E&Y that is, they clearly suck (joking!).

Anyway, long story short I recognise you're excited about your offer (congrats btw!), but try and fix that attitude of "9 years in a row at number 1... PWC is clearly the best". It shouldn't escape notice that the big 4 rank in roughly the order of the number of graduates they recruit on the Times list (or at least when I was looking), complete shocker given the way the list is formulated. Anyway the list needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, for example if you believe PWC is a bigger land than say Goldman or McKinsey then you're clearly mistaken.

All that said, I'm sure you'll have a great time (although not from Jan '14 - March '14, that's going to suck :smile:). Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending