The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
lolimemma
Forgot about Sprinfield and Airlie Place! I know they were used as student accommodation last year for people who were moving into new seabraes. They were both pretty interesting though. Houses converted into halls kind of? As far as I know they aren't being used as accommodation anymore and they were only used as overflow last year, and weren't advertised as residences! Dundee uni has too much accommodation as it is.. Theyre advertising for 2nd and 3rd years to go back living in halls.

I don't know about nowadays, but they certainly have a long history as halls. My brother in law lived in Springfield back in the 90s, and I know Airlie was halls at least as long ago as the 60s.

I think the plan is to convert Airlie into offices etc, and the idea for Springfield always seems to have been 'leave it and wait til it's falling down, then hopefully the listed buildings people will let us use the land to stick something far more boring on'. Shame really.

Another good historic hall of residence: Chalmers Hall on the High Street, now derelict except for the KFC and Greggs on the ground floor. That'd have looked quite cool back in the day.
Reply 61
Another pretty unique hall of residence is Founder's Building at Royal Holloway, University of London. It's based on a chateau in the Loire Valley and looks spectacular! It has its own Picture Gallery (including The Princes in the Tower by Millais) and a chapel (with a chapel choir), and in addition to being a hall of residence it also contains the central College administration, security, a lecture hall, one of the main College libraries and the College Archives.

http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/menass/fasec/founders.gif

http://vcencyclopedia.vassar.edu/images/d/df/RHfounders2.jpg
Reply 62
For me UEA (I stayed here once and it took me an hour to get out!)

Stirling are beside a mountain and a lake:

Greenwich are pretty special too:

Reply 63
I vote for the non-existent halls of ULIP! Oh how dealing with French bureaucracy at 18 brings an extra special something to the Uni experience... :tongue:
Reply 64
wesetters
Oh yes...Estudines. I miss Christine :cry:

Err, I don't. Though i did think it rather groovy that i got out of the contract without having to pay rent to july :biggrin::biggrin: nor do i miss La Def' metro on a wednesday morn.. or the 40 minute trek to uni. somehow just crossing the road is looking a veeeerrry nice prospect. (though i do miss all you guys :frown:)
Reply 65
Greenwich is certainly a contender for the most spectacular university building in the country. A real shame that it has such a small history department, they could have made it a great university :frown:
Reply 66
I'm surprised there haven't been more mentions of Royal Holloway...

It's incredible there.
Reply 67
storthes hall in huddersfield used to be a mental asylum!
Danny Poet

Greenwich are pretty special too:

;yikes; Wow!
Reply 69
The Solitary Reaper
;yikes; Wow!

It's the old Royal Naval College, designed by Christopher Wren in the 18th century. It's easily as spectacular as anything at Oxbridge.

Tomber
It's the old Royal Naval College, designed by Christopher Wren in the 18th century. It's easily as spectacular as anything at Oxbridge.

Oh my word, that is a treat! Wren's work never fails to melt me.
Tomber

Unsurprisingly, as it was built by the same person- Cf. Trinity's Wren library :wink:

All of the unis that people are finding very spectacular- Greenwich, RHUL, etc., are old or based on old buildings. Are we just awed by the grandeur of age?
Reply 72
FadeToBlackout
Unsurprisingly, as it was built by the same person- Cf. Trinity's Wren library :wink:

All of the unis that people are finding very spectacular- Greenwich, RHUL, etc., are old or based on old buildings. Are we just awed by the grandeur of age?

Yes, definitely! On which note it has to be University College Durham! At over a million (or 800) years old it's amaaaaay-zing

And it's on a world heritage site!
Reply 73
FadeToBlackout

Haha, very true; and Pembroke College Chapel, if I remember correctly?

Or are we awed by the Age(s?) of Grandeur? :p: I think it's very difficult not to be.
Reply 74
FadeToBlackout

I'd say no. For one, a vital component of modernism in architecture was built around rejecting artifice and decoration and instead focusing on function. Moreover, we have often failed to see projects of the scale of, say, Greenwich, undertaken in more modern styles, and similarly the same degree of funding has been absent for academic buildings.

There's also the possibility that we simply associate universities with age and tradition. We often speak contemptuously of 'new universities', and respect the 'ancients' - perhaps we carry these same prejudices over into architecture.
Reply 75
Danny Poet
Stirling are beside a mountain and a lake:

I actually have like Stirling on some level. It's surprising in that it actually seems to have worked.

Reply 76
Durham Castle must surely be the 'coolest' student accommodation in the world. And I lived there in first year :biggrin:
Reply 77
Tomber
Greenwich is certainly a contender for the most spectacular university building in the country. A real shame that it has such a small history department, they could have made it a great university :frown:

Perhaps they will be yet, but I wouldn't put money on it.

It's such an odd anomaly. They could've used buildings like that for something useful, surely?
L i b
I'd say no. For one, a vital component of modernism in architecture was built around rejecting artifice and decoration and instead focusing on function. Moreover, we have often failed to see projects of the scale of, say, Greenwich, undertaken in more modern styles, and similarly the same degree of funding has been absent for academic buildings.

There's also the possibility that we simply associate universities with age and tradition. We often speak contemptuously of 'new universities', and respect the 'ancients' - perhaps we carry these same prejudices over into architecture.

Perhaps, also, there's the sense of Difference about older buildings? We see modern buildings all the time. A modern-built hall of residence could almost be flats, or an office block, or something. For example, the ziggurats at UEA remind me of nothing else but an office block, built in a very similar style, and looking very similar.

I completely take your point about scale, also; as far as I'm aware there's not so much being built nowadays that's of a comparative scale. King's College Chapel, for example, doesn't really have any modern parallels.

I also take the point about age. From my layman's point of view, modern buildings often look ugly and I find it hard to see the beauty of function, although architects for example generally can to a far larger extent. It might well be that the everyday man on the street doesn't understand modern architecture, and so combined with prejudices and so on they believe that old is best.

Case in point- every tourist in Cambridge buys postcards of King's College chapel, not of the various Cripps courts, of 60s concrete, dotted around the place!
L i b
I don't know about nowadays, but they certainly have a long history as halls. My brother in law lived in Springfield back in the 90s, and I know Airlie was halls at least as long ago as the 60s.

I think the plan is to convert Airlie into offices etc, and the idea for Springfield always seems to have been 'leave it and wait til it's falling down, then hopefully the listed buildings people will let us use the land to stick something far more boring on'. Shame really.

Another good historic hall of residence: Chalmers Hall on the High Street, now derelict except for the KFC and Greggs on the ground floor. That'd have looked quite cool back in the day.

Yeah a couple of my friends lived in Springfield last year but as far as I know they aren't being used as halls this year. Most people have been thrown into Heathfield and Belmont, and West Park was really undersubscribed. Heathfield is being used as accommodation for Abertay students as well.
Chalmers Hall, if its what I'm thinking of, would have looked awesome as halls. It's a shame all of the old buildings aren't being used anymore because even though the new halls are great in terms of facilities and rooms etc, they hardly have any character. Tay Mills looks pretty good from the outside too, but I don't even think Dundee uni use that anymore, Abertay are offering it as accommodation.

Latest

Trending

Trending