The Student Room Group

Cambridge gap year?..Economics but where?

I am going to be applying to Economics at Cambridge in October 09 `, hopefully on the back of all A's at A-level in Maths, History, English and Economics along with Critical Thinking and the mandatory General Studies. ENglish is the one that is struggle with most, and may get a B.
I achieved 6A*, 1A,2B's at GCSE, and have the usual EC activities, representative rugby and coaching qualifications...honestly, any chance of a place?

I am likely to be deferring my application, to take a gap year and spend 6 months in New Zealand coaching rugby, and the eh another six months working or interning in an economic sector for experience though don't know where yet.
Do i have to declare that i am taking a gap year before they offer me a place or reject me, or do you defer the place (if given) upon acceptance?
Will the gap year decrease the likelihood of me being offered a place at Cambridge?
And finally are there any colleges that are known for often taking more people studying economics than other colleges?

Thanks...sorry for a long post and many questions!
Reply 1
johns and trinity take the most i think. if u r a sporty type of person, esp. rugby go to johns.make u sure u get all As. economics is one of the most competitive subjects so it will be tough.
Oxbridge don't like gappers - as you must convince them you will be better than the next years intake...

Apply in your gap year if you are going to defer.

And yes you must declare it.
Ah, economics and rugby. After my own heart.

If you want to do something economics like, try bank of england, I'm sure they take on some students who are just out of school on gap years and stuff. You also could try consultancy firms like deloitte and stuff and some of the banks like RBS I think take gappers too.
Reply 4
wazzup
johns and trinity take the most i think. if u r a sporty type of person, esp. rugby go to johns.make u sure u get all As. economics is one of the most competitive subjects so it will be tough.

No offence, but the middle part of this advice. Johns prefer students with Further Maths, and when they say 'prefer' they mean that unless you are truly great at everything else then they'll take someone else who has further maths over you.

Thus, i highly reccomend that you check out which colleges 'prefer' or 'require' further maths and unless you have a strong attachment to them, apply to others.

Overall, i reckon you have a reasonable chance :smile: you're GCSEs are below average for economics but still good, whilst so long as you get straight As you should be fine - just make sure you have an amazing personal statement and are good at interview
Reply 5
Speedbird2008
Oxbridge don't like gappers - as you must convince them you will be better than the next years intake...

Apply in your gap year if you are going to defer.

And yes you must declare it.

Not true at all. Some Cambridge (we're not talking 'Oxbridge' here) colleges encourage them - mine does. Do your research OP, but there's nothing to stop you applying for deferred entry. :smile:
Reply 6
You could always apply for Land Economics as i think Economics may be too hard. At the end of the day its a degree from Cambridge so employers treat them with the upmost respect. Just a tip from me :wink:
Reply 7
Barghy
You could always apply for Land Economics as i think Economics may be too hard. At the end of the day its a degree from Cambridge so employers treat them with the upmost respect. Just a tip from me :wink:

It's Land Economy and I think it's unfair to suggest the OP doesn't have a chance. LE is a completely different degree, and given that part of process of getting in is to convince interviewers that you truly love the subject, it would be wrong to apply for such a subject because it's 'easier'.

Just apply for deferred entry. It shouldn't harm your chances - if you're good enough, you'll get in.
Reply 8
Thank you sammyrj. I am not interested in Land Economy as it is completely different, and although some believe that it is as equally respected as other degrees i don't believe this to be the case; after speaking to a few graduate recruitment people and employers at top city firms (predominantly law) they still don't rate land economy the same way as the other Cambridge degrees - some still view it as an easier subject, and some others that the colleges consequently use to use the subject to recruit rowers and sports talent, without undergoing the usual rigorous academic program.

And anyway Barghy i got my 5 A's at AS, so i shall be applying.

Looking back - original post was a long time ago - i know now the answer to many of these questions anyway, and i am also seriously considering E&M at Oxford rather than Eco at Cam.

Latest

Trending

Trending