The Student Room Group

3 A Levels and No AS enough?

Hi, I'm thinking of re-applying to unis next year, I'm in upper sixth now, but only studying for 3 A Levels in Maths, Biology and Statistics. Is this enough to get in to top unis for economics? or should I see about taking up Further Maths AS Level next year?

btw I want to apply to the likes of Warwick, Bath, Leeds etc.
well for leeds uni you only need 3 A levels at ABB one must be maths. Bath want 3 a levels at AAB again one must be maths. But as for warwick, they require AAB and AS level B.

Most of the time further maths is considered useful but not required. As you want to get into the top unis for economics I would not bother with further maths, just concentrate on getting the top grades for the subjects you are doing. It will be better to have high grades in 3 A levels then alright grades and an AS.
Reply 2
mrs_matt_tuck
As you want to get into the top unis for economics I would not bother with further maths, just concentrate on getting the top grades for the subjects you are doing. It will be better to have high grades in 3 A levels then alright grades and an AS.

I agree with that, but at the same time Further Maths is very helpful for almost all science-based university courses, and it's a genuinely interesting A-level to study.
Reply 3
James
I agree with that, but at the same time Further Maths is very helpful for almost all science-based university courses, and it's a genuinely interesting A-level to study.

I wouldn't be starting AS Further Maths until September though.

So on my UCAS application I'd have 3 A Level Grades and a pending grade for Further Maths AS.

Would this enhance my application or would they disregard it as it was done seperate to my other A Levels.
Reply 4
Depends on board - for edexcel, most people do further maths ASs in the second year rather than the first, as it's dependent on the single maths A-Level. So that would be considered normal.
Reply 5
I would study further maths. I think it would have helped me if I did. It will definately help with your economics application. If you find it too hard you can always drop it.
Reply 6
zanejamal
I would study further maths. I think it would have helped me if I did. It will definately help with your economics application. If you find it too hard you can always drop it.

The thing is I wouldn't be able to drop it.

I will get my A2 results this August for Maths, Biology and Statistics.

If I start AS Level further maths in September I will be applying in October, and if I put it on my application I can't drop it, due to ucas rules.

What I'm worried about is that Universities won't regard the extra AS Level because I will be studying it on it's own.
Reply 7
If your in the upper-sixth what uni's have you applied for now ?

Do you mean your currently in the lower sixth ?
Reply 8
If you're taking a gap year some uni's might want to see evidence you're continuing to study for their course and aren't just travelling/working/drinking a year away. Further Maths, even just AS, would show them you have a decent plan for your year out.
Reply 9
zanejamal
If your in the upper-sixth what uni's have you applied for now ?

Do you mean your currently in the lower sixth ?

I'm in upper sixth, but applied for mainly Accounting and Finance courses, and now would prefer to do Economics, but not at my only Economics choice which was York lol, and I don't want to go through extra.

Number6
If you're taking a gap year some uni's might want to see evidence you're continuing to study for their course and aren't just travelling/working/drinking a year away. Further Maths, even just AS, would show them you have a decent plan for your year out.

I might even do Econ at AS as well, just so I'm not going into sixth form for single periods all the time. I was hoping to do a fasttrack A Level but the syllabus is changing now with the introduction of A* so I think the AS and A2 modules will be different specifications.

Latest