The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I had a part on a TV show as my first job. Used to make £60-100 a day, 1-4 days a week, when I was 15. Did that for about a year, and it was slow work.
After that, I got a supermarket checkout job for...£4.75p/h or something?
I worked in the Patientline call centre and have rather fond memories of my first job - first time I'd had a proper interview (interview for promotions at Cadets didn't really match this!), I got the job within about 2/3 days of going for the interview - major confidence booster, my best mate worked there, I got paid £4.70/hour, there were bonuses and there was a fit Team Leader with whom I used to have 30 - 45 minute conversations with!! :p:

Now I'm a Matalan employee of 6 months. :cool:
My first job was at a florist across the road from my house when I was 15. It was nice work, I just did things with ribbons and flowers all day and I got paid £4 an hour.

My boss though, she was another story! I ended up leaving after she insulted me!
I worked as an elf at a Santas Grotto in a shopping centre. I was 16/17.
It was only £4.50 but a 50p bonus per hour after christmas if you performed well.
At the time I loved it. It was a fun job, chatting to kids all day asking what they wanted for chistmas, taking pictures of them with santa, handing out presents.
But when they asked me to go back this year I didnt. After I realised they were paying under minimum wage and now that I drive I'd be spending half of what I'd earnt that day on parking. Plus the embarrasment of spending my lunch break in an elf costume.
And I have a job with much better pay now anyway thats a 2 minute walk away.
xx
Company: PC World
Position: Customer Service Advisor
Hourly Pay: £5.35
Starting Age: 17
Thoughts: I loved the people. Hated 'company policy'. There are worse places to work.
Reply 25
I started working at a local children's bookshop (Which won UK Children's Indep. Bookshop Of The Year last year) at 14, and still do now at 16. Only £4.50 p/h, but lovely co-workers, lovely environment, lots of tea and lots of fun.

Initially the work was boring but it's got more interesting now, despite my cocking up my first try at invoicing and sending three boxes of books to the wrong side of the country.

First post
by the way. Strange way to start, but I have been a lurker for a while.
Wow.. you lot all got paid so much for your first jobs!

Mine was at a bakery when I was 15, and I got £2.70 per hour. O_o This was 7 years ago, though - I think the minimum wage for 16-17 was only £3.00 then. In my current job, I get 3-4 times as much per hour as I did in that first job. :s-smilie: Crazy!
Reply 27
i got a job at budgens with one of my best friends. i worked for a cross-eyed-stuttering manager who kept shouting "BO-BASHER", and 2 fit assistant managers who seemed like 18 years old. All of whom ended up being fired for stealing moneysss.
^ Funny, my first manageress (in the job mentioned above) got sacked for stealing money, but that was a few years after I left. She was horrible, anyway. :s-smilie: The other staff were nice, though.
Reply 29
'Desire' by Debenhams, £4.70, i started there in November 2007 and still work there at the moment :smile: if it's busy, i enjoy it. but when it's quiet, it's such a bore!
Reply 30
Working on a farm..... no set wages.... anything from £1.50 - £6 an hour depending on hours/ jobs that need doing. Started working there when I was about 11 - technically still employed but very few hours.

Have done temp work as a receptionist at a doctors surgery for 2 Saturdays a year for the past 2 years. got £5 the first year (age 16) and £7.50 an hour (age 17)

Currently, I've just got a job at a kids play centre. I forgot to ask how much I get paid but it's fun, the staff are lovely and we have a right laugh! only worked one shift so far so that could change
Reply 31
Mine was at sainsburys when I was 15 and got about £4.75. Work wasn't too bad.
My first job was doing basic admin at a doctor's surgery when I was 14. The pay was £3.50 and went up by 10p a year. :cool:
Reply 33
Mine was at a call centre for mail order company.. I loved that job! £5.77 an hour - was good for a 15 year old! actually I've never been paid that much since.. fingers crossed for my Buckingham Palace interview.. which is basically a kind-of call centre job also..
Reply 34
My first job was (and still is) "Recreation Assistant" with Serco Leisure, a.k.a Lifeguard. £5.52 an hour...fantastic uniform (you should really check out my shorts!) people are fantastic, really friendly, relaxed place to work. I'm a casual which is also great while I'm doing my A levels, it means I can basically work when I want, so I can be really flexible around exam time...but also can earn extra money during holidays as well. And there aren't many places where you can wear flipflops, blow a whistle and sit in a highchair whilst still getting paid.:smile:
An unnamed clothing/shoe shop, slightly 'designer' and rugged.

Started age 17, paid £5 per hour, double time on bank holidays I think. Free uniform i.e. any clothes from the brand: 1 pair shoes, 2 tops, 1 pair trousers = worth quite a lot of money if you like the brand!

Quite liked it. Easy work, chilled managers, quite nice people, good laugh too. They were nice and flexible about hours.
Reply 36
Mum's and Dad's restaurant since I was 13....

The pay is about £30.00 a week...which is rpbably about £3.00 an hour!! lol.
Don't really mind though, they are my parents so yeah :smile:
i worked in Brewers Fayre & it was awful I was the youngest person there (16) everyone else was 19 and made no effort to speak to me. I ruddy well hated it:frown:

£4.45
Reply 38
my first job was at 16 and was for Debenhams... fun place to work really liked like... buy pay was absolute crap, started on £3.87, then when i complained and threatened to quit they gave me £4.20.. then £4.25 but then i quit as i had gotten a second job working in a medical factory earn £6.20 per hour; i did 16 hours a week in the evenings whilst i was doing my alevels was good, and worked there in my gap year but was made redundant as they moved to mexico for cheap slave labour... so did some agency temp work whilst waiting for uni... then when i got to uni i got a job at alton towers :biggrin: luv it!! but money alrite i spose i'm on £5.65
My first job was mcdonalds...*sarcasm* Fun...

Latest

Trending

Trending