The Student Room Group

Got 5 offers and want to re-apply

This may seem ridiculous but I'm very upset :frown: and have no idea what to do. In short, I did much, much better than I was expected to in my exams (IB) and now I regret my uni choices. I have applied and received offers from Newcastle, Edinburgh, Exeter, York and Leeds. Uni rep is very important to me and I wish I had applied to more competitive unis (Durham, Bristol, etc..). I am really desperate, should I try to apply to one of them through Extra? The thing is, I'm really scared of not getting an offer and if that happens I swear I'm going to become a hermit and live in the Himalayas because I've already taken a gap year and there is no way I can take another. Any thoughts ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What did you apply for?
Reply 2
If you can get a decent plan for what you want to do in the resulting gap year, then I'd say you can give it a try. Perhaps contact some of those universities you would like to apply to and ask their advice?

I don't know though, I reapplied in my gap year and things went alright, but it was a fully planned gap year and wouldn't have harmed my application. However, I think that the universities you'd apply to would probably think it perfectly reasonable that you would want to reapply.
Reply 3
Edinburgh is easily up there with Bristol.
Reply 4
History and Politics.
FyreFight
Edinburgh is easily up there with Bristol.

dont be silly.
Reply 6
If you have already taken a gap year, then didn't you know your results when you applied to these places?
Reply 7
Honestly, I would consider your unis to be of equal reputation to Durham etc. If you apply through Extra does that mean you can't revert back to your original offers if you wish to do so?
Edinburgh and York are both brilliant.
Reply 9
I know I probably seem like a ridiculous human being : "oh no, I got into top 20 unis and that's not good enough for me " but it will have a major impact in my life. And I am becoming slightly autistic thinking about it.

Should I phone Bristol and Durham? And this is pathetic, but should I tell them?
Reply 10
History and Politics at Edinburgh or York is of equal value to the same at Durham or Bristol! Have you actually looked round the universities you've got into? Consider them carefully and you may find one you love.

Perhaps it seems hard that you got into them all, so feel you should have aimed higher, but unless a second gap year is really what you want I would just go to uni. No point putting it off when you have offers like that!
Reply 11
struz
Honestly, I would consider your unis to be of equal reputation to Durham etc. If you apply through Extra does that mean you can't revert back to your original offers if you wish to do so?

No, to be eligible for Extra I have to decline all my offers. And unfortunately not many people share your opinion of these unis (most would rank them below Durham).
Reply 12
greyspring
I know I probably seem like a ridiculous human being : "oh no, I got into top 20 unis and that's not good enough for me " but it will have a major impact in my life. And I am becoming slightly autistic thinking about it.

Should I phone Bristol and Durham? And this is pathetic, but should I tell them?

Explain?
Reply 13
What exactly are you basing the 'top 20 unis' on?
Reply 14
Kater Murr
Edinburgh and York are both brilliant.

I don't really see myself living in York, and Edbinburgh is very nice but extremely expensive (especially since I have to pay international fees).
Reply 15
Sorry but why did you apply to these unis if you don't actually see yourself being able to live there?
Reply 16
nosnibor
Explain?

What I mean is that my university choice will affect my career options.
Reply 17
struz
Sorry but why did you apply to these unis if you don't actually see yourself being able to live there?

I like all of them (except for York- whcih I don't dislike but I don't like it as much), but I feel that I should have aimed "higher".
Reply 18
greyspring
What I mean is that my university choice will affect my career options.

Then I think only Oxbridge could be any higher. You're much better off going to uni and then doing a Masters at Durham or Bristol or wherever. The extra qualification will give you far more advantages than the extra gap year.
Reply 19
If you feel it's going to affect you that much then ring the unis and see what can be done but don't be too hasty as you may end up with no offers at all.
Have you been to Durham/Bristol etc though? Are you sure you will be happy there? Choosing a uni just for it's reputation may not be all that beneficial if you're going to be miserable there and end up performing badly.

Latest

Trending

Trending