The Student Room Group

Is there a limit on how many exams you can sit?

How many exams am I allowed to sit this summer 2008 for AS-level? Is there a limit on how many exams you can sit?

I asked my examination officer of the school, he said you are only allowed to sit 7, but reading forums of this website many people said they sat 14 exams (re-takeing some of their modules). Should I ring up AQA, as all my subject are with them and ask them too?

Please help quickly, Many thanks.
Ask AQA, yes.
Reply 2
Phoned QCA, they said there is no limit- asked my teacher school policy only allows 7. Oh dear...
honeypot
Phoned QCA, they said there is no limit- asked my teacher school policy only allows 7. Oh dear...

Enter yourself as a private candidate then...crappy school, messing round with peoples lives via exams
Reply 4
If the school really won't let you (which is stupid) do the rest at a different school/college or something.
7 exams? wtf, surely thats *******s, 3 exams for an AS, assumeing you take 4, 4*3=12.....
Reply 6
I'm really upset and stressed over this. The qualification I really need are being taking away from me. I don’t want to stay on another year.

I might just have to enter my self as private candidate at a different school (phoning around, being kept on hold then told 'sorry, no can do' - depressing. I'm studying Biology (2 modules), Chemistry (3 modules) , Sociology (2 Modules) all AQA exam boards and GCSE Maths retake (paper 1+2) Edexcel board.

Does any one have any ideas on what i can do to sit more exams at the same school, e.g. appeal, challenge the policy, the local education authority e.t.c? I need to sit sit all my examination at the same place as I have clashes too.
Maybe "7" refers to the number of subjects you can take, and it's all a misunderstanding - 7 is rather low for AS's... especially considering most people will have taken around double that...
Reply 8
I know. Nope, can only sit 7 during the summer. Surley sitting my gcse maths paper 1 and 2 is not going to bring the world at an end. I will talk to him tommorow.
I think what's meant here is the number of modules you can do in a single exam series.I know last January I took at least seven units and possibly eight , and it sounds to me as they think you won't do too well if you do more than seven.Fair enough I suppose - three of units I did were on the same day as well and I needed to resit two of those because they didn't exactly go all that well.

Might need to resort to some plea bargaining , they'll probably listen if you got your parents involved and back down on that one - it seems as if you know that doing seven modules will entail.It's just they wouldn't want people doing 10 units and having to resit six of them.
Reply 10
Yeah are sure that is the real exam limit? I'm going to be doing around 9 this summer, and thats just 3 A-levels and 2 ASs, which is typical enough.
Reply 11
I can handle the work load. I really need my Maths, cant get into uni without it.
Reply 12
I'm entered for something like 14 exams this summer, maybe up to 16 if tomorrow is bad and I need to resit Critical Thinking A2. Definitely speak to them and make it clear that you need it for uni - I can't see them sticking to rules if they know it'll damage their uni stats.
Reply 13
im doing 16 at the moment, just finished the first half.
my college were a bit iffy about it at first 'cos they think it would affect my grades but after a talk and stuff they allowed it!
Reply 14
I don't think theres a limit.

I knew of someone doing 22 exams one summer.

Latest