The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Work experience, do well in your exams, have good GCSEs (cant change that). For a top 10 uni for economics, you need good GCSEs (5A*S or more) because the course is so competitive. Good luck.
Reply 2
Thank you,
i have 6A*'s at gcse, i mean, outside of like grades and stuff :P you know to show the top univerisites commitment, what kind of work experiance etc? are there any programs, e.g. nuffield for chemistry, stuff for economics? :biggrin: thanks
Reply 3
Target 2.0 or the ifs Student Investor Challenge?

It might not have to be strictly do to with Economics either. Since a high degree of mathematical ability is appreciated, anything that demonstrates that should be useful. You don't need to be a member of the British Mathematical Olympiad team or anything, although if you did, I'm sure that would do more than demonstrate an ability with numbers, to say the least.

An interest in business and economic news, obviously, is essential. I'd think that most Economics applicants say they read The Economist and maybe the FT. All this is even more important if the institution interviews, obviously. Be prepared to back up what you say, since if you say you've read The FT regularly for the past year and a half, they'd expect you to be aware of any major events that have developed in business and the economy in the past year and a half. Do your homework. For example, if someone had an interview for Economics tomorrow and didn't know what happened with Société Générale, it wouldn't do them any favours. Anything you put on your personal statement probably will be asked about in an interview. If there's no interview, however, that does also mean you need to squeeze even more into your personal statement, which may or may not be harder than answering interview questions.

There is something else I've often heard helps your application for Economics, though it's not an extra-curricular. That thing is Further Maths.
Reply 4
Thank you, that really helped! :P
some unis do summer schools in economics but that is expenseive... I was very lucky to do my work experience at one of the richest family companies in the world (who as a rule don't usualy do work experience) so i think that helped a lot.
Just any work experience is good, its more how you talk about it in your personal statment and what you've learnt from it.
Reply 6
thats what i mean! :P

thanks, that helped, i need to def do some work experiance, but i mean, how do i find out? what do i do....

where do i go? what kind of things are economics work related?
Young Enterprise would look good - try for work experience in a bank for looking at ec/finance degree

Latest

Trending

Trending