The Student Room Group

Bath or Birmingham for Computer Science?

Not sure which to go for, both asking for ABC from me (Bath lowered slightly below normal offer)... So only one can go as firm choice. Birmingham has offered me a £1000 scholarship for the first year if I go there (but still have to achieve grades asked in offer anyway), but that's not going to make me choose Birmingham if it's not as good.

Academic stuff is my first priority, how do the two compare? How about nightlife? I'm not a clubbing sort of person, and I guess there should be plenty of pubs. Birmingham would have a lot more concerts, which is a plus, but I can't justify uni choice just because of that. :P

What's the cost living like in Birmingham compared to Bath? I assume Birmingham is a cheaper, but by how much?

Thanks for any advice. :smile:
Reply 1
Bath is higher up on The Times league tables if that's your thing, but lower on The Guardian's. Of course, league tables don't mean that much :wink:

Personally, I was more impressed with Birmingham TBH. The research at Birmingham was very interesting and all the staff I talked to were very friendly and enthusiastic. They made an effort to talk to me, while at Bath no-one did. Also, the general feel of Bath seemed more sterile if you get me.

The thing is, I know that Bath are very highly regarded - I just didn't think they sold the place to me at open day.
Reply 2
Hmm, I guess the same is true for me. If Bath is much more highly regarded that could be enough reason in itself?
Reply 3
Grogs
Hmm, I guess the same is true for me. If Bath is much more highly regarded that could be enough reason in itself?

They are both good unis - I wouldn't let one being higher in league tables influence your decision too much...
Grogs
Birmingham would have a lot more concerts, which is a plus, but I can't justify uni choice just because of that. :P

Yes you can :p:
you should be fine at either one i think.
Reply 6
Argh, basically the choise between whether I want small slightly out of town uni or big one. I'll just look into the cost of living, I think Birmingham is going to work out best, especially with that scholarship.
Reply 7
Hi, Go to birmingham. i have also accepted birmingham as first choice for computer science! whats ur name, sex? Where u from. Will u be living in accommodation.:smile:
Reply 8
My name's Greg, I'm male, from Surrey, and will be living in accommodation. Not sure if I'll go to Birmingham though. :P
Reply 9
considering bath gave you an offer with a predicted D in maths, I would seriously grab the offer with both hands.
Reply 10
If Bath have lowered the offer for you anyway, they're pretty unlikely to let you in if you do get a D in maths, whilst B'ham *might* be a bit more flexible. Something to consider if that's something you're worried about (of course you may disagree with the predicted grade completely!)
Reply 11
v2006
considering bath gave you an offer with a predicted D in maths, I would seriously grab the offer with both hands.

Yeah that's kind of the way I feel, you would regard Bath higher than Birmingham?

twistme
If Bath have lowered the offer for you anyway, they're pretty unlikely to let you in if you do get a D in maths, whilst B'ham *might* be a bit more flexible. Something to consider if that's something you're worried about (of course you may disagree with the predicted grade completely!)

Yeah, have been thinking along those lines, after getting my results back from the January exams, I'm now on a C average, and that's with an E in Core 2, which I would be able to take up a lot with a retake. I don't think getting that C will be any more of an issue than maintaining my other grades.
Reply 12
yes, bath is in a tier above birmingham
Reply 13
Dont know any thing about B'ham but i went to bath open day, and all it did was put me off the uni (im glad i went all the way down there now)

Latest

Trending

Trending