Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which Accommodation Have You Applied For?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As there are a zillion threads on where people should, could, would apply, I thought I'd make a thread for the people who have already made the decision of which accommodation to put as your first, second and third.

I've put 1st Chancellors Court (Standard), 2nd Holland (Standard), 3rd Holland (Large).

Put down why you put it down to help people still making the decision have an idea of why people are going where.

I put Chancellors Court first since it was lovely inside, the fact that it is ensuite also is a bonus.... Holland for same reasons really. The others weren't for me really so I put Holland (Large) instead as my third. Although, Lee was pretty nice aswell.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frater)
    As there are a zillion threads on where people should, could, would apply, I thought I'd make a thread for the people who have already made the decision of which accommodation to put as your first, second and third.

I've put 1st Chancellors Court (Standard), 2nd Holland (Standard), 3rd Holland (Large).

Put down why you put it down to help people still making the decision have an idea of why people are going where.

I put Chancellors Court first since it was lovely inside, the fact that it is ensuite also is a bonus.... Holland for same reasons really. The others weren't for me really so I put Holland (Large) instead as my third. Although, Lee was pretty nice aswell.
    Im yet to confirm my Edinburgh offer because I need to decide on my insurance offer but when I went for an open day last month we were shown around Pollock halls. I can't remember which block within the halls it was but it didnt look to nice if im being honest. My first choice will most likely be Chancellors Court (Standard) then either Masson or Holland.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some of the halls werent too great at all, then again, i think its the matter of you get what you pay for... even if your paying over inflated prices lol.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to Pollock Halls, Turner, Grant and Baird, and Warrender Park Crescent. I'm not really sure if Pollocks are a good idea, but still, it'll be my first year...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I know there is alot of negative thoughts about Pollocks, but still, its the social side of things that really counts, kinda the more the merrier philosopy.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm going self-catered and therefore not Pollock.

1)Darroch Court
    2)Kincaid's Court
    3)Warrender Park Crescent

Picked them because of newer/more people and mainly undergraduate, bit annoying you can only get en-suite at Pollock but hey ho!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, well, theres a 60% success rate at pollocks and as I have put ed as my insurance I ll probably be shifted to uni flats.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure yet. Definitely going to be self-catered and preferably close to St. George Square. Any suggestions?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit confusing.. when you view the list of accomodation 'by student type', Nicholson Street is under Postgrad. But on the description of the site, it says "mainly new undergraduates".

I don't want to be a burden on older people!! I'll feel like a little kid.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fjarskafinn)
    It's a bit confusing.. when you view the list of accomodation 'by student type', Nicholson Street is under Postgrad. But on the description of the site, it says "mainly new undergraduates".

I don't want to be a burden on older people!! I'll feel like a little kid.
    I think it used to be for postgrad, but they changed it last year because of the greater number of new undergrads than before.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elisabethbridge)
    I think it used to be for postgrad, but they changed it last year because of the greater number of new undergrads than before.
    Ah, excellent. Thanks for putting my mind at rest.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know which accommodations would be close to the law school? I haven't firmed up my offer yet but I'm checking out the living situation and costs involved. What's the difference between a self-catered hall and flat? I don't have any preferences cept for it to be *clean*.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.accom.ed.ac.uk/accom_info...0_May_2005.pdf
    Here's a map of accomodation. You can see more clearly which accommodation is closest to where you need to be

http://www.accom.ed.ac.uk/accom_info...lf-catered.htm
    and here is some more info
    hope it helps.
    I'm deciding now.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's the chance of getting self-catered en-suite? It says on the website that these flats are usually for postgraduates
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    over half of 1sy years live in university flats.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiver333)
    What's the chance of getting self-catered en-suite? It says on the website that these flats are usually for postgraduates
    Virtually non-existent.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, probably stupid question, but...
    I've insured my Edinburgh offer (on Friday), but I still have to do accomodation, yes? If that's right then should I get forms in the post or do I have to send off for them...? I'm completely clueless about this.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You do it here. But I should warn you that if Edinburgh is only your insurance you're highly unlikely to get your first choice, and run the risk of getting no accommodation offers at all.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    :s Don't they guarantee all first years then? ahwell, it's very unlikely I'll have to take Edinburgh
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    :s Don't they guarantee all first years then?
    They guarantee that they'll find you something, but not necessarily for the beginning of the academic year.
Updated: August 4, 2008
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.