The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Plymouth uni accommodation

Just got an offer to start at Plymouth later this year. Any advice on accommodation? Had thought Unite seemed best bet but really concerned about negative posts on forums. could do with bringing a car but that doesn't seem a viable option. Any first hand experience??

Scroll to see replies

Unite is by all accounts quite terrible. The university accommodation isn't bad, and has the advantage of being right there directly across the road from the campus. Private renting is hit or miss, though if you're close enough to Plymouth to be able to go look at a lot of houses it might be worth doing.

As for cars, parking is pretty limited everywhere, and most things are walking distance anyway, so it's unlikely to be worth the hassle unless you want to do a lot of trips up and down the coast to go surfing or whatever.
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Reply 2
I don't think you'll need a car really, unless of course as mr.ferret here mentions you'll go surfing / whatever... Renting privately in Plymouth isn't too bad, but would seriously advice you to go have a look at some houses..
Reply 3
Im doing paramedic science so will need a car for placements! Not sure if private renting is best option for 1st year???
Reply 4
Will the placements be that far out of Plymouth??! Well, I suppose you need it then.. Although a friend of mine went to school in Plymout last year whilst living in Torquay...

Private renting isn't that bad really. If you find the right people it can be brilliant.
Reply 5
Hey, with regards to the car, you probably won't need one. The trains from Plymouth are really good etc :smile: Plus you will just get gridlocked if you try and drive around!
Hey, i'm also starting Plymouth in September and really not sure where to live. I was wondering why unite are terrible? Which halls were the best that also had an en -suite? I'm scared i'm going to live in a room with mould in! i've heard some rubbish things about univerist halls!

Any help would be fab! Thanks!
Reply 7
I'm thinking i'll apply to pilgrim, or is francis drake better? i wanna be close to the peninsula med school building
Reply 8
mmrats
Im doing paramedic science so will need a car for placements! Not sure if private renting is best option for 1st year???

if you are going to need a car then yest private renting is a must, the only way to get a car parking space in halls is to apply to some sort of parking space raffle and if your name comes up then you pay Β£200 (i think) for the year.
Reply 9
jessica.rabbit
Hey, i'm also starting Plymouth in September and really not sure where to live. I was wondering why unite are terrible? Which halls were the best that also had an en -suite? I'm scared i'm going to live in a room with mould in! i've heard some rubbish things about univerist halls!

Any help would be fab! Thanks!

this is my opinion:

Francis drake is the nicest as its new last year, you get pod bathroom (that means its a bathroom/shower but the shower doesn't have a seperate box around it, its' just a shower curtain with a drain underneath (sounds horrible but their quite nice) you get 10 bedrooms with a big kitchen/ living room (only halls with living room). But its about an extra Β£500 a year i think

Radnor and Pilgrim are pretty much the same. They have the same bathrooms as Francis drake but you normally get 6 bedrooms with a reasonably sized kitchen.

Robbins (where i live) i think looks the nicest from the outside and is reasonably nice inside has a proper shower in the bathroom. Kitchen isn't as big as radnor or pilgrim but is quite nice and you usually get 6 bedrooms again. Only negative is if your on the top floor theres lots of stairs and no lift.

Gilwell is pretty small and is the cheapest. The bedrooms are a bit smaller i think and so are the kitchens. But i think it was refurbished a couple of years ago. I don't think you can get en suite in gilwell

i have no idea what mary newman is like, it might be like radnor and pilgrin, im not sure. Looks like a tower block from the outside though.

All the bathrooms i described were ensuite btw, you can get either ensuite or non ensuite in radnor, pilgrim and robbins. I think its only non ensuite in gilwell and might be only ensuite in francis drake. not sure about mary newman
Reply 10
any advice to living at uni this year but not going into halls?
Reply 11
i wish they'd hurry up and tell us where we're goinggg.. :frown:
Reply 12
The uni accommodation seems well overpriced. If you rent privately you get a double room, can potentially decorate, house partys etc at the fraction of the price. The only reason I'm willing to pay the extra to be in halls is the fact I'll be with first year students and for the 'experiance' thats meant to be legendary.

Having lived at halls at college already, I've gotta say my experiance has been poor. I was stuck with a load of foreign students who barely spoke the local lingo, were well dirty and unsociable. You arent allowed a double bed wich is crap if you want someone to stay overnight. The walls & carpet in the room grew mould during the winter, the internet was sooo slow, heating was poor and most annoyingly there was knowhere to dry your clothes. The smell of the place was disgusting, so much so it was embarassing to bring anyone back. I'm definatley going to buy some ear defenders because if the fire alarm doesnt keep you up, noisey housemates will. Oh and we had mice infestation and the cleaner wouldnt turn up most weeks. To be honest, I'm not going to be too gutted if I dont get in halls at uni. I dont like the fact you cant specify which block you want to be in, which seems unfair because half the rooms look bigger and more modern than the other half but you still pay the same price unless your lucky enough to get your first choice of a larger room.
Reply 13
Samz
i wish they'd hurry up and tell us where we're goinggg.. :frown:

you mean which halls your in? You won't receive an offer for accommodation until you have your grades back and you have been accepted...
Reply 14
i've applied for en-suite, but i didnt put any preferences..but im hoping ill get somewhere nice. :smile:

i thought we heard back in may though...
Reply 15
I have set Plymouth as my firm choice and have only recently applied for accomodation, is it allocated on a first-come-first-serve basis?

If so, what chance does anyone think i have of getting my preference of a studio room? seeing as there are only 14 on campus...?

Grateful for any replies. Thanks!x
Reply 16
I don't think it's first come first serve (well i've read through all the crap i've had through the door and no mention). As you say, there are only 14 studio rooms, so im guessing you have a pretty slim chance of getting one. They probably go to couples first. But won't a studio room be unsociable anyway !
Reply 17
Thats what i was thinking, having a communal kitchen is always a bonus as its an easy place to meet new flat mates. Thining about it, having a kitchen in my room (as the studio rooms do) i'd imagine my clothes would always smell!

second choice is a large/special en-suite, fingers crossed for that.

Of course i have seen the pic's of the rooms on the net, but has anyone first hand experience of the large en-suite's?

cheers.x
ferg_ie
Thats what i was thinking, having a communal kitchen is always a bonus as its an easy place to meet new flat mates. Thining about it, having a kitchen in my room (as the studio rooms do) i'd imagine my clothes would always smell!

second choice is a large/special en-suite, fingers crossed for that.

Of course i have seen the pic's of the rooms on the net, but has anyone first hand experience of the large en-suite's?

cheers.x

hey,

i know that with radnor and pilgrim if u have a larger ensuite room its basically just a bit more floor space, a larger desk and a couple more shelves I believe. I saw them when I went to an open day. hope that helps!
Reply 19
princesslucia23
hey,

i know that with radnor and pilgrim if u have a larger ensuite room its basically just a bit more floor space, a larger desk and a couple more shelves I believe. I saw them when I went to an open day. hope that helps!

Thanks, they sound good to me. tbh it had to be at least an en-suite, i dont really like the idea of a communal bathroom, i'd prefur to live in my own filth instead of other peoples too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest