The Student Room Group

Arrrgh ... Work!

So all you Physio students out there. Speaking as someone who needs to earn a living in order to enjoy University…. And now that I’m definitely going wooooooo! Who works as well as study? What do you do? Do you do it at night/weekend/holiday or do you manage to do anything during the day outside lectures.

Am I naïve to think that I can hold down a part time job as well as study or can it be done with some hard work and application?

Advice please.
During my first year I found that working weekends wasn't a problem. However this year, while I have been on placement, it has been a nightmare.

During my first placement I worked 9-5 at the hospital Monday-Friday, then weekends at Asda. Add to that the travelling time involved, about 4hours a day, and by the end of the placement I was completely knackered.

We then had a week at university before starting second placement. I had to abandon that placement because I was a complete wreck, physically and emotionally.

During the third placement I took 'study leave' from Asda and that helped as it gave me two days a week when I could just relax, but I still found the placement difficult, probably as a result of the emotions I went through from failing the second placement.

My view would be, don't work during term time. If I had the option to pack in working now, I would, but I can't afford to, unfortunately.
Reply 2
Cassius C
So all you Physio students out there. Speaking as someone who needs to earn a living in order to enjoy University…. And now that I’m definitely going wooooooo! Who works as well as study? What do you do? Do you do it at night/weekend/holiday or do you manage to do anything during the day outside lectures.
Am I naïve to think that I can hold down a part time job as well as study or can it be done with some hard work and application?
Advice please.

I don't work in term time. Partly because I don't need to and partly because I don't want to! But, I do tend to work during the holidays. I always work in the summer and if I'm not too busy during easter and xmas I usually pick up a few temping weeks for some extra cash. Personally I don';t think I could cope with working during term time. As it is I don't do any work of a weekend (unless I'm desperate and on a dealine) as its the only time I get to spend with my fiance, so most of my evenings are spent working to leave myself free for the weekend. That said, I do know quite a few people who work during term time, including some people who work 20 hours plus (mad if you ask me!) but these tend to be people with mortgages who need to work to stay afloat! Those who do work tend to work at the weekends as they can work whole days on sat and sun, plus maybe friday night, that way they're still free during the week to work.

I would say it is possible, but would query if it was advisable. I also think it depends on what uni you go to. Somewhere like George's there is an amazing amount of placeswhere you can work, but somewhere abit more remote your choices might be abit limited, and if you have lots of travel for placements (as people at Jinglepupskye's uni tend to) then you may find yourself seriosuly struggling during placement when you have 4 hour round trip to and from, plus work on top.

I personally would advise holiday working, but thats because it suits my situation perfectly. I reckon you could get away with working the weekends, but you'd have to be very good about organising your time, but then that is a hallmark of a physio so you could use it to your advantage!
Reply 3
Think I'd echo the comments above - there's one guy on the course who works weekends but he really doesn't have any time for himself as he's studying every night. One girl worked in the cloakroom at a local nightclub but has given it up now as she got no sleep those nights - not in until 4am and then up for 9am lectures.

I'll be looking for holiday work though :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks guys. I am one of those 'Mortgage people' :wink: and I will need to hold down some work. I'm going to take up the Man Met offer and I understand that their course structure deliberately limits lecture time and encourages problem based learning outside Uni.

It suits my learning style and hopefully might give me a bit of latitude for some work during the week. Especially during the first year because there are no placements until year 2. I dunno - I guess I will need to see.

Appreciate the help. Keep up with your blogs - good reading :biggrin:
Reply 5
Cassius C
Thanks guys. I am one of those 'Mortgage people' :wink: and I will need to hold down some work. I'm going to take up the Man Met offer and I understand that their course structure deliberately limits lecture time and encourages problem based learning outside Uni.

It suits my learning style and hopefully might give me a bit of latitude for some work during the week. Especially during the first year because there are no placements until year 2. I dunno - I guess I will need to see.

Appreciate the help. Keep up with your blogs - good reading :biggrin:

I think generally the first year is the best year for working, its intensive but nowhere near the 2nd and 3rd year (thats just my experience though). I would max yourself out with holiday work and save as much money as you between now and then. If you can save quite a bit it will limit your need to work so you can have atad of a social life!

Fancy doing a Man Met blog next year? We don't have anyone from there yet!
Reply 6
I'm flattered that you ask. Yeah I could be up for that. Maybe you can let me know how it works etc.
Reply 7
Cassius C
I'm flattered that you ask. Yeah I could be up for that. Maybe you can let me know how it works etc.
Its quite easy! You start a thread which you blog in, I add a link to the blog thread at the top of the page! Then you just keep blogging in the same thread so all your posts are in the same place

easy peasy!
lol
Reply 8
OK - count me in. It sounds easy enough even for me :smile:
JackieS

I would say it is possible, but would query if it was advisable. I also think it depends on what uni you go to. Somewhere like George's there is an amazing amount of places where you can work, but somewhere a bit more remote your choices might be a bit limited, and if you have lots of travel for placements (as people at Jinglepupskye's uni tend to) then you may find yourself seriosuly struggling during placement when you have 4 hour round trip to and from, plus work on top.

Actually on reading this I have to correct Jackie a little bit.

It isn't that Teesside send people for miles for their placements - in fact the majority are within 30 minutes of the university, and there are loads of hospitals within that area - it is the fact that I live almost an hour north of Middlesbrough and my first placement was 30 minutes south of Teesside.

If I lived in the halls or in the local area it wouldn't have been such a problem. As it was I had to travel to Durham by bus, then by train and then a twenty minute walk, which made the travelling such a chore.

The university allowed me to change placements with another student for the third placement which would have seen me travelling back to the same site as for the first. It wasn't a problem for them and if I had mentioned that it would be difficult to travel there in the first place before allocations had been made, then I wouldn't have been offered that placement anyway.

I just wanted to clear that up in case anyone thought that Teesside had a habit of sending students halfway across the country for their placements! On the same topic a new notice board has been created for students on placements who can either offer or request lifts to placements to help cut down on the cost for travel.
Reply 10
jinglepupskye
Actually on reading this I have to correct Jackie a little bit.

It isn't that Teesside send people for miles for their placements - in fact the majority are within 30 minutes of the university, and there are loads of hospitals within that area - it is the fact that I live almost an hour north of Middlesbrough and my first placement was 30 minutes south of Teesside.

If I lived in the halls or in the local area it wouldn't have been such a problem. As it was I had to travel to Durham by bus, then by train and then a twenty minute walk, which made the travelling such a chore.

The university allowed me to change placements with another student for the third placement which would have seen me travelling back to the same site as for the first. It wasn't a problem for them and if I had mentioned that it would be difficult to travel there in the first place before allocations had been made, then I wouldn't have been offered that placement anyway.

I just wanted to clear that up in case anyone thought that Teesside had a habit of sending students halfway across the country for their placements! On the same topic a new notice board has been created for students on placements who can either offer or request lifts to placements to help cut down on the cost for travel.

ah ok! sorry, my bad! lol

Latest