The Student Room Group

Graduate forms for Cambridge

I got rejected this year by Cambridge to study French and Spanish. I've entertained thoughts of re-applying, but I may well just go to another university this year. I know I want to do a masters in Linguistics after my degree, and I'd be wanting to apply to Cambridge (amongst a few other unis) to study it.

I'm just wondering what sort of information they require on forms? Obviously they'll need to know your GCSE grades, and A2 grades, but my main 'concern' is whether they ask for your individual module marks/grades as they do for undergrad study? Only because I'm in a dilemma whether to re-sit my January A2 module this summer. I got a low A in it, and so even with high As in the rest of my summer exams, I won't be able to achieve 90%. Now I know achieving 90%+ in your A-levels isn't compulsory for Cambridge, but obviously it greatly strengthens your application. This leads me to another Q - do they really care about your module marks etc for application for postgrad study? Or are they really more concerned with your undergrad degree class, and your reasons for wanting to study the masters degree?

Sorry if I've rambled on there. Any help appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Wow! Gosh thats a long way off yet! I haven't applied for postgrad, some other people on here will be able to tell you with some authority but i sincerely doubt they would want your Alevel scores. Why would they? Since then you have had 3 years academic experience, and they are going to be much more bothered about that than whether you got over 90% at Alevel. Seriously, don't worry about it. Getting a good degree and having a strong proposal about why they should accept you for postgrad stuff is what will count.
Go get a First and stop worrying about A-level.
Reply 3
Nina
Wow! Gosh thats a long way off yet! I haven't applied for postgrad, some other people on here will be able to tell you with some authority but i sincerely doubt they would want your Alevel scores. Why would they? Since then you have had 3 years academic experience, and they are going to be much more bothered about that than whether you got over 90% at Alevel. Seriously, don't worry about it. Getting a good degree and having a strong proposal about why they should accept you for postgrad stuff is what will count.

Ha, I may well change my mind by then anyway, but it's definitely an idea at the moment.
Thanks; I was hoping that'd be the case :smile:

Calcium; okey doke! :p:
Reply 4
city_chic
I got rejected this year by Cambridge to study French and Spanish. I've entertained thoughts of re-applying, but I may well just go to another university this year. I know I want to do a masters in Linguistics after my degree, and I'd be wanting to apply to Cambridge (amongst a few other unis) to study it.

I'm just wondering what sort of information they require on forms? Obviously they'll need to know your GCSE grades, and A2 grades, but my main 'concern' is whether they ask for your individual module marks/grades as they do for undergrad study? Only because I'm in a dilemma whether to re-sit my January A2 module this summer. I got a low A in it, and so even with high As in the rest of my summer exams, I won't be able to achieve 90%. Now I know achieving 90%+ in your A-levels isn't compulsory for Cambridge, but obviously it greatly strengthens your application. This leads me to another Q - do they really care about your module marks etc for application for postgrad study? Or are they really more concerned with your undergrad degree class, and your reasons for wanting to study the masters degree?

Sorry if I've rambled on there. Any help appreciated :smile:

Crikey, slow down! No offence city_chic, but as you're still considering Vet Science, it seems a bit premature to be worrying about postgrad applications for linguistics! You may well find your undergraduate degree totally changes your perception of academia. Just go with the flow instead of being so Cambridge-focused. Postgraduate study is a very different kettle of fish anyway; as Nina said, they won't care about your A-levels. :smile:
Reply 5
If you do a masters, you go through BOGS, which I don't know what the form entails...maybe have a look on the Cam. website for it?
Or the graduate union forum is always helpful - www.gradunion.cam.ac.uk/forum
Reply 6
city_chic
This leads me to another Q - do they really care about your module marks etc for application for postgrad study? Or are they really more concerned with your undergrad degree class, and your reasons for wanting to study the masters degree?

Err, yeah. A levels aren't really relevant to postgrad applications.

Latest

Trending

Trending