The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Re-sitting may be ill-advised. You get more time for your other modules, if you don't re-sit, and hey, it's still an A =)
Reply 61
Good grief. That is all I have to say.
I don't really know if this is relevant, but in the supplementary questionnaire-thingy, they asked me to state the band of the actual grade I got (Upper or lower A, B, C, etc.), but really I'm not meant to know that information, because all I'd be given on my exam certificate would be the plain grade, no frills.
Don't suppose the English schools work that way, and you could use that excuse?

(I got 70.4% for my Higher History exam, making that an A with 0.4% - I wouldn't worry at ALL about 83%)
To be honest I don't think 83% in D1 is anything to worry about. If it were 83% in C1 you might, but not D1. I got 81% in D1 in January, but I don't feel bad about it... I'm applying to Oxford so all they'll see is "A" on that module.
I would be annoyed at myself if it were any module that wasn't D1, but we all know it's not really Maths. :wink:
Reply 64
If it makes you feel any better, the amount of alcohol the examiner had before marking my D1 paper often brings about laughter amongst the maths department at my school. Don't worry about it. I got pretty much 600/600 in maths (stupid S2 :P ), and got an offer from Trinity, but I know many people who got into Trinity with much lower UMS scores. Getting a low mark in D1 is not an indicator of how good you are at maths, unless you're accusing me of being pretty darn hopeless :p: . As long as you do well in the real modules... :wink:
Reply 65
I got a low B. Whoop-de-doo.
Reply 66
I do the Core's for maths, not whatever the D stands for

If its like C1, then it'll be easier than C2 and S1, so you'll find it harder to make up the marks

Its gone the deadline now anyway to apply for a resit, so I think that if you really are unhappy with a low A then resit in January

Unless you are applying for Mathematics, it shouldn't be a problem, because if you stand a chance of getting into Oxbridge, you'll be a good all round candidate showing high marks in other subjects, or have another subject which shows that logical way of thinking, like chemistry and be strong in that.

One piece of advice - Cambridge don't like you to retake unless under special circumstances. Oxford "realsies the pressure we are under with such a large amount of modules". If you are really bothered about how a retake will look, go Oxford.

There are other universites with good names, like Durham, which has the ancestry element with it too

:smile:
Reply 67
__Katy
One piece of advice - Cambridge don't like you to retake unless under special circumstances. Oxford "realsies the pressure we are under with such a large amount of modules". If you are really bothered about how a retake will look, go Oxford.

Actually, Cambridge couldn't care less about applicants re-sitting individual modules, they only have an issue if people choose to re-take an entire a-level. Please don't give out fasle 'advice' -- Cambridge DO NOT MIND if people resit papers!
Reply 68
My "advice" was based on emails I have recieved from various college tutors.

Quote from, Dr Paul Millett, Admissions Tutor

As you go on to suggest, this really does depend to some
extent on the subject and the particular circumstances. You do not say
whether you are thinking of a retake in order to improve your grade from
(say) a B to an A, or to raise your score within the A grade. If the
latter, I would definitely advise against a retake.

But I apologise if you have heard otherwise, which proves me wrong
Reply 69
__Katy

Did you make it clear to him that you were talking about re-sitting an individual A-Level unit and not an entire subject?
Reply 70
I just checked, and I was specific in the fact that I said "retake of a module"

I don't want to cause any trouble, just forwarding what i recieved from research

Sorry....

:smile:
Reply 71
of course D1 is maths
Reply 72
psanghaLFC
of course D1 is maths

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

:laugh:

-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA-

:rofl:

-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAAH-

:toofunny:

-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

:congrats:

-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHA, GOOD-ONE-SIR- AAAAAAHA-

:bl:

-AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-

:yeah:

-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH-

:clap2:

-EEEEEEEETEEEHEEEEEAAAH-

:awesome:

-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. D1? Maths?

;no;
__Katy

Hmm, this directly contradicts advice i was given by a few economics tutors at Cambridge; who told me that if I achieved low A's in my January exams, I should definitely retake them. Although; i suppose, admissions tutors most likely have differing opinions on the matter.
Reply 74
Ah well, I guess each college is different, as is each subject
Reply 75
which part isn't maths then?
psanghaLFC
which part isn't maths then?

The part where you memorise "useful" algorithms as opposed to having to use any mathematical intuition.
Reply 77
Who said , you have to memorise useful algorithms? Who says no intuition is used?
Reply 78
and why would you nesseserily approach any other module any differently to D1?
psanghaLFC
and why would you nesseserily approach any other module any differently to D1?

because no intelligence or a maths brain is needed for this module. It is basically a read and remember module. Its crap. It isnt real maths is it.

I know most unis do some modules on decision maths - but it is still crap

Latest

Trending

Trending