The Student Room Group

Likelihood of a Place at Harvard

Hi there, I’m directing this thread mainly at those who have secured places at Harvard from the UK, and those who know anything which can help me.

I’m 17, in Yr 13 in London, UK and was wondering how likely I am to gain a place at Harvard. I’ve posted scores and grades below:

GCSEs : 10 A*s, 2As, 1B
A2 levels: Biology(A), Maths(A)
A2 levels predicted: French(A), Chemistry(A), Further Maths(A)
AS levels: Critical Thinking

SAT II Scores:
Math II : 740
Biology M: 700
French: 690
ACT Score: 31

I sat the SAT & ACT at the last sitting so wasn’t able to redo them. Harvard has let me know that they have received all the necessary documents

However, I still haven’t been called to interview!!! - Should I be worried? What are my chances? I’ve applied for Life/Natural Sciences by the way.

Thanks in advance,

House
Very low. Both your ACT and SAT II scores are quite low for Harvard. Harvard rejects over half its applicants with perfect 36 ACTs/perfect 2400 SATs. Remember that Harvard has a 9% acceptance rate, and is the hardest US University to gain acceptance to. If you're keen about going to a US University, I'd look at Tufts, New York U, Boston C, U of Southern California, and (it's a reach) Georgetown.
Reply 2
To be critical, your SAT scores are low for Harvard. Granted they are not everything, the likelihood of anyone getting into Harvard is still low, after all the acceptance rate is close to 8%. So i will be preying those essays you wrote made a difference, you're going to need it. You have a better shot at other ivy leagues or even oxbridge.
Reply 3
Thanks for such a brutally honest opinion ;-)

Anywho, I have an interview now so I guess I shall be preparing for that. I know that Harvard tries to interview everyone so gaining an interview is not tantamount to a better chance of acceptance.

I liked my essay, but then again I would say that wouldn't I ;-)

Do you think they will look at A-levels and GCSE's? Or, will my SAT score be their only means of differentiating me from the crowd? In the American sense my results give me a GPA of over 4 i.e (4.0+), but then I suppose everyone who gets accepted has a ridiculously high GPA. TO what extent do you think my beliefs are valid?

Thanks,

House

PS - If you want to know more about the UK system, please don't hesitate to PM me ;-) (I have lived here for 17 years of my life after all ;-) )
Reply 4
US admission is not all about academics. A lot of weightings go to things you do outside of school. I am sure that you will be asked something about that in the interview. I think you should hold the assumption that the grades are expected and what separates admit from reject is your extracurricular activities. Have you worked in your field? Is there something you do related to your subject? Your achievements? These are the things that you should have prepared and thought of.
Your chances are not good at all. Why Harvard though? It doesn't have a great reputation for looking after its undergraduates, and there are many other fine universities in the US.

Ask your questions on http://www.collegeconfidential.com

Most people on here already know all about the UK system...
Reply 6
Dismal_Laundry: Thanks for the site - it looks informative & your cat is cute

Chriz: Thanks - I've listed some of the things I do outside the world of academics.

Please let me know if they'd help ;P

I've also 4 undergraduate credits in Neurobiology from the Harvard SS (B(b)).

Total Hours Volunteered = 1600+
• Astronomy Tutor (Founder of Astronomy Soc.)
• Special Needs School Carer
• Editor of “The Chronicles” (School Journal)
• School Prefect
• French Learning Mentor
• Science College Aide
• Library Assistant

Work Experience
Jun 2008 – Aug 2008 – Ramachandra Hospital, India
Jul 2007 – Foyer Logement du Plumelieu, France
Nov 2006 – May 2007 – Ethel Davis Special Needs School
May 2005 – Radiology Dept. North Middlesex University Hospital

I don't want to bore you ;P... So...

Do my "not good at all" chances creep up even a little? *Crosses fingers*

Thanks again,

House

PS - My interviewer has an incredibly impressive resume so I'm a little intimidated ;S
I've only applied to Harvard there, it's a long shot but I've got Medicine here at Imperial as a back up ;P

Oh & I realise most people will be aware of the English system, but I was merely pointing out that I would be amongst the few willing to help for those unfamiliar with the system ;P
i don't get why you have made any US applications if your main plan of action is medicine in this country.
Reply 8
I thought it'd be a great experience - I'd probably like to research, so an undergraduate degree in a science is a great idea, in my opinion anyway. I can read medicine post-grad.

House
Reply 9
I read somewhere the other day that out of thousands of places in medical school in the US, only about 30 or international students gets placed, and those that do already have to have a US Bachelors.

Sounds money/time consuming to me with little promise unless you actually get in.

But hey i'm no expert so I could be totally wrong.
The other aspect is money...private universities are very expensive, as is the Boston area, and unfortunately you are very unlikely to get any financial aid other than loans on which the interest begins accruing immediately.
Reply 11
*Sigh*

Everyone's so discouraging here...I understand their need to be realistic, but still! I'm not an expert...and I don't know what your chances are, but just see how it goes...you've already got an interview so that's a step in the right direction! As for your medicine plan, if you feel doing an undergrad degree is the right choice for you, then go for it! Good luck...oh and congrats on your offer from Imperial :smile:
2130 SAT is low for Harvard, but its not impossible, you could get in based on that score. The American system of admissions is so different to that in the UK, particularly the admissions essay which are so different in style to anything you may write in the UK. You will also be against students in the US that have poured thousands of dollars into preping for their college applications. I dont want to be discouraging, you do have a chance of admissions, but regardless of how strong your application is, Harvard is a tough place to gain admission, 9% is not a nice number.
Reply 13
Just had the interview and it was quite informal - lasted more than an hour!! This is apparently the norm for Harvard Interviews - I swear Imperial sent me away after about 6 mins. I prefer the American-style interview! It took place in Starbucks and my interviewer was really nice and friendly. I'm not so sure it did me any good application wise but it was really fun nonetheless. It was really nice of him to give up time as a volunteer, don't you think?

dp0567
*Sigh*

Everyone's so discouraging here...I understand their need to be realistic, but still! I'm not an expert...and I don't know what your chances are, but just see how it goes...you've already got an interview so that's a step in the right direction! As for your medicine plan, if you feel doing an undergrad degree is the right choice for you, then go for it! Good luck...oh and congrats on your offer from Imperial :smile:

Thanks!!! ;D - You are the silver lining I'd been hoping for!!! :biggrin: I was beginning to renounce the possibility of finding polite humouring here :biggrin:

Dismal Laundry - I believe Harvard provides quite a lot of financial aid, though I appreciate your concerns. I'll end up taking a loan here and interest doesn't just accrue in the States. Loans here are using RPI's so debt is inescapable. Living in South Kensington is no mean feat either ;P

Saturday Night Special - Thanks, I realised that 2130 wasn't so great but it really was last minute and it was my first time *looks around haphazardly for excuses* ;P April is pretty near so I guess I'll find out. True 9% isn't a great number, but apparently a lot of people get put on the waiting list.
dismal_laundry
Your chances are not good at all. Why Harvard though? It doesn't have a great reputation for looking after its undergraduates, and there are many other fine universities in the US.

Hmm one of my friends is at a London Uni doing her masters after doing her degree at Harvard (she's American though) but the idea of not looking after their undergrads seems crazy! She said that she had to do lots and lots of work, but Harvard found her a job and also things like gym fees and included in the tuition. Plus food and whatnot apparently you can have as many meals as you want each day included! That seems well looked after: job, exercise, food and of course academics... Just one case though :smile:
Reply 15
how did the interview go? what did thy ask..?
Regarding undergraduate focus, everything I've heard from people associated with the institution is that Harvard's supposed ignoring of undergraduates is not true at all - the professors are easily accessible and there are many opportunities available for undergrads, especially in smaller departments (although that might not apply to you).

Your SAT/ACT are low, but not prohibitive. Is there not time for you to take them again before applications are due? There should be sittings in September, October, November, and December. Most of the focus in the US admissions process, however, is not on your academics or test scores - high grades and test scores are expected. Your extracurricular activities are what sets you apart. 1600 hours of volunteering is awesome, and your summer activities definitely show a medical focus, which helps you. However, keep in mind that you're going to be competing with many students who've interned in science labs or done original research, and competition for the biology major is pretty tough.

Honestly, there's a low possibility of getting into Harvard for even the most qualified applicants. They reject over 9 out of every 10 applicants. You can never know what exactly they're looking for in a candidate. Don't feel bad if you don't get in - they just might not be looking for someone like you at this moment.

Also, talk.collegeconfidential.com is a good resource for you to ask about this kind of stuff - they have a forum dedicated to discussing different undergrads' chances as well as a Harvard forum where you can talk to Harvard students and ask questions.
Reply 17
actually id take your SAT score anyday!lol did u kno that of Harvard applicants 800 sumtin got 2400 and only a mere 20% of them were admitted! 80% of perfect score receipents were REJECTED! And even Harvard says most of our applicants have scores of 600-800 not 700-800! i dono that just the facts
Reply 18
Briefingsworth
Your SAT/ACT are low, but not prohibitive. Is there not time for you to take them again before applications are due?
...Also, talk.collegeconfidential.com is a good resource for you to ask about this kind of stuff

Given that the OP applied last year, I would say no. :p: About College Confidential...as with any discussion forum, CC has both its good and bad. It's necessary to take responses with a bucket of salt. I've been a member since it started and have seen plenty of very wrong information spread on there.

NazB
actually id take your SAT score anyday!lol did u kno that of Harvard applicants 800 sumtin got 2400 and only a mere 20% of them were admitted! 80% of perfect score receipents were REJECTED! And even Harvard says most of our applicants have scores of 600-800 not 700-800! i dono that just the facts

20% admission would still be roughly 4 times the normal Harvard acceptance rate. Higher scoring applicants are more likely to be accepted.
Reply 19
devil09
Given that the OP applied last year, I would say no. :p: About College Confidential...as with any discussion forum, CC has both its good and bad. It's necessary to take responses with a bucket of salt. I've been a member since it started and have seen plenty of very wrong information spread on there.

hahaha yeah CC is like a cesspit of stupid. Every thread usually has one or two sensible and extremely helpful replies that quickly get drowned in myriads of idiotic comments and advice that are specifically tailored to make high-strung teenagers even more nervous.

Latest

Trending

Trending