The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Choccie, if you are applying CSAS on grounds of your school, then it must also be the case that it is rare for students from that school to go to university, and that neither of your parents went either.
Reply 21
None of my siblings went to Uni, neither did my Dad.
Choccielatte
None of my siblings went to Uni, neither did my Dad.

Does that mean that your mum did?
Reply 23
One would guess so. Hey -- my older brother and two of my uncles didn't go to university either! Maybe I should have applied through CSAS. I even went to a comprehensive school. :rolleyes:
Yep, doesn't sound as though you are eligible choccie. Not on that front anyway, whether the illness is relevant and you can apply on that front is another matter.
Reply 25
Choccielatte
If it's judged at against 2003, there is the strong possibility that it could be low enough to allow entry on CSAS :biggrin:

'Allow entry'? I think you misunderstand the purpose of the CSAS, it isn't a backdoor in. All it will do is allow you to be judged on the same terms as anyone else by mitigating the factors which might hold an applicant back (severe illness clouding their academic performance, for example) - it'll basically just get you an interview (if you're eligible), and from then on you'll be judged on your own merits.

If your mother went to university, then you can't apply on the academic criteria (ie, poor school), but Cambridge take that into account with all applications anyway. If you think your illness has affected your education, then get your referee to fill in the form and send it off, you've got nothing to lose.
Reply 26
coldfish
One would guess so. Hey -- my older brother and two of my uncles didn't go to university either! Maybe I should have applied through CSAS. I even went to a comprehensive school. :rolleyes:

I don't think the CSAS is something one should mock.
Edukasion
I don't think the CSAS is something one should mock.

I could be wrong, but wasn't that mocking people who take the mick out of CSAS rather than CSAS itself? There are some people at Cam who like to think they are deprived just because they went to a comp and their Dad didn't go to uni - (nevermind the fact that their comp is in the southern countryside and has great results, and their Dad is the CEO of a large company).
Reply 28
I see your point. The way i interpreted it, was that "coldfish" is bringing up an unnecessary stereotype and, in the process, irritating those who have applied for the very reasons he is mocking. Perhaps those people you stated "think they are deprived", are in fact deprived? We can't live in these peoples shoes, thus we shouldn't try.
Reply 29
Err, yeah. That was a description of me. Sorry if you read me as taking the piss -- I realise it was ambiguous. Well... I -was- taking the piss, but not in the way you think I was.

Latest

Trending

Trending