The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Descartes for me. Maybe he is the father of modern philosopher, but it seems to me that all of his points have been systematically and clinically disproven. He should have stuck to maths.
Reply 41
Jangrafess
Descartes for me. Maybe he is the father of modern philosopher, but it seems to me that all of his points have been systematically and clinically disproven. He should have stuck to maths.

I found it amusing when he tried to explain immaterial/material interaction by saying that the soul gave the pineal gland a sort of "push" to get causality in motion.

I sort of feel sorry for him though. Philosohers are often criticised for being too vague, yet when they specify in biological or scientific terms they're completely slated :biggrin:
Reply 42
MrMatthewJamesEyre
A lot of us have been asking that, particularly about the former.:s-smilie:

Yeah; to be more accurate, one could replace the "a" with a "u", because he's a complete...
Naranoc
I found it amusing when he tried to explain immaterial/material interaction by saying that the soul gave the pineal gland a sort of "push" to get causality in motion.

I sort of feel sorry for him though. Philosohers are often criticised for being too vague, yet when they specify in biological or scientific terms they're completely slated :biggrin:

Yeah, that was brilliant... in a totally unbrilliant sort of way, of course.

(Correction to rep comment: three more gems. :p:)
Reply 44
Jangrafess

There is a good quote about Descartes;

'If only he had stuck to Maths, he would have been remembered as a true genius'
Reply 45
geetar
I'm not a fan of Frege; all that analytic philosophy just makes me want to sleep.

(Is Turing really a philosopher?)

Turing isn't really a bona-fide philosopher, but he did mess up philosophy of mind for a good few years with his fews of consciousness/intentionality i.e. 'turing machines'

And before anyone else asks; I didn't include Kant because generally people only dislike him because A) The can't understand what he is trying to say B) They can't be bothered trying to understand what he is trying to say

But neither of these neccessarily make him a 'bad' philosopher :wink:
Oddjob39A
There is a good quote about Descartes;

'If only he had stuck to Maths, he would have been remembered as a true genius'

Thanks. I'll have to remember that.

Oddjob39A
Turing isn't really a bona-fide philosopher, but he did mess up philosophy of mind for a good few years with his fews of consciousness/intentionality i.e. 'turing machines'

And before anyone else asks; I didn't include Kant because generally people only dislike him because A) The can't understand what he is trying to say B) They can't be bothered trying to understand what he is trying to say

But neither of these neccessarily make him a 'bad' philosopher :wink:

a) Completely agree on Turing.
b) One of the reasons I dislike Kant is because he seems to state the obvious quite a bit. Admittedly I've only come across him during A Level Philosophy (as in I read other philosophy in my free time) so I might not have totally the right idea here, but even in spite of that, he's not a 'bad' philosopher by a long shot. He says things which often seem to be irrefutably true (eg. the Kantian Synthesis) and while that makes him irritating and even boring, I'm with you in not having him on the list.

Naranoc
Thank you very much! :biggrin:

No problem. :smile: (Editing it into this post to avoid spammage. :biggrin: Looks pretty strange here though.)
Reply 47
Jangrafess

Thank you very much! :biggrin:
Reply 48
Oddjob39A
What can be said can be said clearly, if it cannot be said clearly then it is nonsense and must be passed over in silence

A view expressed by Wittgenstein and perhaps even more importantly; George Orwell.

Quite possibly the worst notion ever, in the history of academia (although I suspect this is more a consequence of misinterpretations like the above). Where exactly did Wittgenstein express this view? I hope you weren't thinking of the thereof one must remain silent line, which has absolutely nothing in common with what Orwell said. What Orwell said was directed at written prose, not at philosophy, and he didn't imply that it was 'nonsense' if it was complex.
Reply 49
No Rand?
Nietzsche. So overrated.
Reply 51
naivesincerity
Nietzsche. So overrated.

So he is the worst.........:rolleyes:
Since when is Dawkins a philosopher?
Plato isn't on there, but he got everything pretty wrong, I'd say. The only good thing there is the logic, but it doesn't work for me.

I love Nietzsche and Sartre just for their writing style.

Hume and Descartes are just boring.

In the end I went for Dawkins because he's a ****-peddler.
Harriellie

Hume and Descartes are just boring.

I love hume :redface: He slags off anyone and everyone

Dawkins is as annoying as hell though, what he says may be right but he doesn't have to be so damn smug the whole time.
I love Richard Dawkins.
GnMvP
So he is the worst.........:rolleyes:

I spent a while on Wikipedia and the like reading his main concepts. He talks the most speculative, pretentious bull****.
I just saw Socrates on there, oops. I was looking for a P. Oh well, doesn't matter.
Reply 58
t.w.
Quite possibly the worst notion ever, in the history of academia (although I suspect this is more a consequence of misinterpretations like the above). Where exactly did Wittgenstein express this view? I hope you weren't thinking of the thereof one must remain silent line, which has absolutely nothing in common with what Orwell said. What Orwell said was directed at written prose, not at philosophy, and he didn't imply that it was 'nonsense' if it was complex.

Woah, nothing like misconstruing what I said!
Reply 59
t.w.

:confused:

I would hope he was thinking of that line since it runs (in the preface to the Tractatus): "What can be said at all can be said clearly; and whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent." Seems pretty clear that was what he was quoting, so Wittgenstein certainly did express it ...

Latest

Trending

Trending