The Student Room Group

Is it possible to complete the whole of A2 Further Maths within one year?

I made a mistake in not taking it for yr 12, and was wondering if at all it would be possible [and what it would take] to do the whole A level in yr 13.

I will be doing AS Further Maths anyway, but i was wondering if it's possible and worth it to try and do the whole thing. Will I have to drop a subject?
I will have finished my A level maths this year[ I'm in yr 12].

See, I want to do maths in uni, and I was just thinking that if I can't do the full a level, I'll just to the AS, but do some studying on the side of other FP modules without taking the exams.

Grades for Jan modules:
Maths A
Economics A
Physics B
French n/a

Advice?

Scroll to see replies

Yes. And it's not all that uncommon to do A Level Maths in Year 12 and A Level Fuhrer Maths in Year 13.
Reply 2
My school can't really give the support in doing the full a level of FM in one year.
I take it I'll need a tutor? [although finding one proves difficult]
Reply 3
If you get some good books (the Edexcel books are pretty good) and are a competent mathematician, and are prepared to put the work in, you shouldn't need a tutor.
I'm doing it at the moment.

I sat C1, C2 and S1 in Year 12. Started AS Further Maths with my school in September, then decided in November I wanted the whole A level, so I taught myself C4 from November-December, sat C3, C4, M1 and FP1 in January, and am now doing S2 and FP2 with my school while self-teaching M2, M3 and FP3.

I've still got a lot of content to cover, but it's definitely doable - especially if you start earlier than me! It might actually be worth seeing if you could get an extra module done this year, so you've got one out of the way at the start of Year 13.

Good luck with whatever you decide, anyway! :smile:
Reply 5
Someone in my FM class leart the whole of AS FM during the summer :eek:
Reply 6
im planning on doing it in my gap year as i regret not taking it during my A2 years at school. To be honest i dont think i could do a Further Maths A2 if i was in school balancing with 2 other subjects as i take time to learn things. I would really think about it as the FP modules especially are tricky and requires alot of work which may cut revision time for your other subjects.
Mr. Ed
Someone in my FM class leart the whole of AS FM during the summer :eek:

Well to be fair, that is quite a long time when you haven't got the workload of four other A levels to worry about. :wink:
Reply 8
Yes and you'll always be able to come here for help If you need it
Reply 9
Hashshashin
I'm doing it at the moment.

I sat C1, C2 and S1 in Year 12. Started AS Further Maths with my school in September, then decided in November I wanted the whole A level, so I taught myself C4 from November-December, sat C3, C4, M1 and FP1 in January, and am now doing S2 and FP2 with my school while self-teaching M2, M3 and FP3.

I've still got a lot of content to cover, but it's definitely doable - especially if you start earlier than me! It might actually be worth seeing if you could get an extra module done this year, so you've got one out of the way at the start of Year 13.

Good luck with whatever you decide, anyway! :smile:

How many other subjects do you take?

I'm quite worried about my other subjects as I don't want them to suffer. I'm thinking if i do decide to do the full A Level, I'd have to drop a subject[ cough economics] so I'd have more time.
yellynh
How many other subjects do you take?

I did do four subjects in school until January - Maths, AS Further Maths, Economics and English Literature. One of the main reasons why I self-taught C4 and sat it early was because it meant I'd finished the Maths A level and thus didn't have to turn up for those lessons anymore! :biggrin: So now I do three subjects in school in addition to the three modules I'm covering myself.
(i) In my school we do A-level in Y12 and then FM in Y13....It works well
(ii) If you feel you can mange only the AS in FM then it isn't really that much of an issue, make sure that you do FM1-FM2-FM3 and you will be fine.
(iii) If you are doing M1 and M2 anyway then have a read through M3 too, regardless of whether or not you take the exam.

Of course if time permits then do the whole FM A2
friend has to do all of FM in one year so yeah

@mrm.. why do fp1 2 and 3 for an as when he only needs to do FP1 + 2 applied modules
I've just noticed the typo in my first post...
hsn
@mrm.. why do fp1 2 and 3 for an as when he only needs to do FP1 + 2 applied modules

Because they're far more useful if you want to do Maths at uni, I would imagine.
Reply 15
i was in pretty much the same situation as you this time last year, i took the same subjects as you (but swop french for RE) and then i realised the importance of further maths as i was thinking of doing a joint maths and physics degree (i ended up picking straight physics though). well this was more like january, but still, the point is, i talked to my head of maths and asked her if i could move into the further maths class so late into the year. i was expecting a "no, it would be too much work" etc but she surprisingly said yes, so i had to catch up C2, C3, S1 and the end of M1 myself, whilst doing C4 with the new class. i thought i would struggle, but tbh, those were some of the easier modules compared to what im doing now (FPs) and its not too hard if youre willing to put in a few extra hours each week to catch up. The main hurdle was C3, but even that only took about 10 hours altogether.
So, i would advise you to do as much as you can this year, so that next year you have the option of taking A2 further maths if you wanted to, or if you decide to stick to the AS, then it wouldnt matter anyway and you'd have less to do. And you said you are worried that it will affect your other subjects; well, try doing more maths first, if it does get too much then drop economics. I stuck with my 5, but i dont think i shouldve as 2 of my subjects did suffer (a bit) as a result. But good luck with whatever you decide to do in the end :smile:
Reply 16
I can safely say it is indeed possible, from personal experience. Completed both As/A2 Further maths and A2 Maths in yr 13 plus 3 other Alevels and I had to do all 9modules in the summer because my school doesnt do January exams.
Reply 17
Thanks everyone for the advice! I think I will study for all my my subjects this year, and then in the summer make a start on FM, and possibly drop a subject.
Reply 18
Hashshashin
I did do four subjects in school until January - Maths, AS Further Maths, Economics and English Literature. One of the main reasons why I self-taught C4 and sat it early was because it meant I'd finished the Maths A level and thus didn't have to turn up for those lessons anymore! :biggrin: So now I do three subjects in school in addition to the three modules I'm covering myself.

lol I still had to turn up to lessons and do work for my extra modules after finishing the normal syllabus :frown:
its a bloody suicide mission but GL mate

Latest