The Student Room Group

would i need to put all my module grades (even Us) on their extra application form?

Hi there
last year I achieved AABBU in my AS levels
In the U A level I achieved module grades BUU
I declined this U for obvious reasons and therefore it wasnt certified.
I am considering applying to Cambridge in my gap year however would I have to tell them of this U grade?

I can resit the B's however I would imagine the U would seriously harm my chances of recieving an offer if I had to tell them.

Also I have secured a job in my gap year working abroad - I would be willing to travel back for an interview however I was wondering if they give plenty of notice before giving you an interview?
I would need to give some notice to my employer as well as book a flight so would it best to mention this on the personal statement??
thanks guys
Reply 1
If you've declined I believe you don't have to declare them as they aren't part of your qualifications, however read the CAF carefully to verify this. However for all modules/grades not declined, you must declare them.

And yes they give you about a month and a hlafs notice, (they did with me)
At the risk of sounding harsh.. are you sure Cambridge is right for you? I'm just wondering if you had a particular reason for your U-grades or not, really - because I would imagine it's quite unusual for someone to get an offer from Cambridge with Us in tow, unless they had a particular reason.
Yes, you have to put it down regardless of whether or not it's declined; and you don't have the option of declining any more anyway so they will go on UCAS as modules as well.
Not only will you have to tell Cambridge about all the grades but you will have to declare all the UMS marks of all modules that led to them, whether, re-sat, certificated, passed or failed. They will go on the SAQ next year.

I agree with Pitseleh: three Bs and a U out of five AS subjects is not commonly deemed worthy of Oxbridge so I hope you had good reasons for them if you are not to waste the choice and the money on flights.
Reply 5
Out of curiosity what was the U in? Critical thinking or general studies?
Yup, as other people have said, you do indeed have to declare ALL sittings of ALL modules, whether certificated or not - I had to declare a U grade in an English module this year, despite my protests lol....
Ahh, this is awful! I didn't know this. I'm going to be applying post-A level and I'm just taking Further Maths this year for fun and not really expecting to get a particularly good mark in it. (I want to apply for English). Does this mean I have to declare the marks I get in the summer, I can't just get rid of it all? Pretend I never took it....? Something.....?
Reply 8
immediate_escape
Ahh, this is awful! I didn't know this. I'm going to be applying post-A level and I'm just taking Further Maths this year for fun and not really expecting to get a particularly good mark in it. (I want to apply for English). Does this mean I have to declare the marks I get in the summer, I can't just get rid of it all? Pretend I never took it....? Something.....?

Further Maths for fun, and you're an English student? Interesting.

Yes, you have to declare all your marks, there's no hiding, I'm afraid! :smile: If you're that bothered, either i) Withdraw yourself from the exam entry, ii) take the exam and just work very, very hard, or iii) don't worry about it, seeing as it's completely unrelated to your subject. If you have AAA next year then I wouldn't stress. The admissions tutors want you to be good at English, not a polymath. You'd be better off taking the English Advanced Extension Award than FM, to be honest - or at least do it in conjunction with FM.
Reply 9
immediate_escape

There's really no need to worry. You're basically asking "Do I need to reveal everything? Even if I do really badly in something that's pretty much irrelevant to the subject I'm applying for?". Do remember that admissions tutors are not stupid: they'll know that your ability in further maths may not reflect your ability in English.

Of course, the other reply is: stop worrying about something that hasn't happened yet. Just get on with doing a few practice papers. :smile:
I believe you have to put everything, I think referees have also been told that you must include all results you know of. They have so many applications that if you 'forgot' about the U Grade they probably wouldnt find out. Although Id advise against this, be 100% honest with them.
Reply 11
Just don't apply. Not with those grades. Is Cambridge really right for you?
Edukasion
Just don't apply. Not with those grades. Is Cambridge really right for you?

harsh much?
Reply 13
redballoons
harsh much?

Yes, you're right - i probably was. Still, i wouldn't want to see him/her waste a space on their application.
Reply 14
As for the module retakes, many people who applied at my school simply put their retakes over their originals.

Latest

Trending

Trending