The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
jomo
Ooh, so who was up there for the open day? Loved loved loved Edinburgh the city but still umming and awwing between it and Manchester uni. :/ Although a 4 year course does sound like more fun it's just the expense...

Anyway, did anyone else get ridiculously lost? I was late for the divinity lecture. :frown: Went through all the back alleys and ended up at the castle... oh, how i'll survive at uni I do not know...

Haha, nice.

I remember parking at Nicolson Square and not being able to find Appleton Tower when I came up for open day :colondollar:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 41
nearlyheadlessian
Plus, if you discover you suddenly hate History you can always change subjects in your second year!

:biggrin:

Yep! I've ended up changing my degree. And I was totally steadfast about doing maths before I came. Very glad for the system here!
I haven't gone off Scandinavian Studies at all, but yeah, I'm quite glad to have the option of changing my course.. Some days I'm really excited about doing Scan. Studies, others it makes me feel a bit.. empty. The visit made the course seem rather boring, in comparison to what I might have ended up doing at UCL.. :P

I guess we'll see when we get there. :biggrin:

Oh, and Scottish Ethnology still looks good. :biggrin:
Fjarskafinn
I haven't gone off Scandinavian Studies at all

It's easy to say that when you're not studying the subject in question. But once you actually have to start showing up to classes, you can feel quite different.

Btw, I think you'll find that by and large UCL and Edinburgh SS are pretty similar ... Or rather, UCL isn't *that* exciting, and Edinburgh seem to talk themselves down a bit...
In the unlikely event that anybody here was one of the 10 unfortunate sods who had me as a guide for their tour of Old College on Wednesday, I want to apologise. I only had two hours notice that I was going to be doing it, hence my spectacular pearls of wisdom being limited to "This is a tutorial room- it's really just a room full of desks, but the paintwork's nice" and "This is the computing lab- it's a lab...full of computers." Hope I haven't put any of you off!

:smile:
michaelnicholson88
In the unlikely event that anybody here was one of the 10 unfortunate sods who had me as a guide for their tour of Old College on Wednesday, I want to apologise. I only had two hours notice that I was going to be doing it, hence my spectacular pearls of wisdom being limited to "This is a tutorial room- it's really just a room full of desks, but the paintwork's nice" and "This is the computing lab- it's a lab...full of computers." Hope I haven't put any of you off!

:smile:

I did have a tour, i'm not sure if it was you or not. I had a guy and a girl with red hair. I wasn't put off, but I am stuck between Edinburgh and Glasgow.Grr.
Nope, I was flying solo- you're lucky. :smile:

(Btw, go for Edinburgh- you know it's the right choice).
michaelnicholson88
Nope, I was flying solo- you're lucky. :smile:

(Btw, go for Edinburgh- you know it's the right choice).

Persuade me, Michael , persuade me! I'm from Edinburgh so wouldn't get into halls so would be stuck at home for another year and am worried this will stop me making friends. Plus I don't like the clubs or music scene much in Edinburgh. Gah.
They won't guarantee you a place but you may get one anyway, and if not straight away you'll get a place when a room comes free! When me and my friends moved in their was 1 room that hadn't been allocated in the flat next door which someone in a similar position to you moved into and a girl in our flat left and a girl moved from pollock to self catered in our flat. Stuff comes up like that tho all be it it might not be straight away!
sweetest-downfall
Persuade me, Michael , persuade me! I'm from Edinburgh so wouldn't get into halls so would be stuck at home for another year and am worried this will stop me making friends. Plus I don't like the clubs or music scene much in Edinburgh. Gah.

For a start, Edinburgh University is far superior to Glasgow for Law- it is generally recognised that we and Aberdeen are currently well ahead of the rest, and are competing with one another for the top spot- different surveys put one or other of us ahead. From the word go at Edinburgh, you'll be getting taught by people who genuinely are the foremost authorities in their fields- in the first semester of first year, you're taught Contract and Unjustified Enrichment by Hector MacQueen, who is unrivalled (except perhaps by his sometime collaborator, Joe Thomson) in the subject, and is far and away the Scottish authority on UE. The list of highly respected and technically very good lecturers goes on right the way through- Property law, for example, is taught by Kenneth Reid, who was responsible for drafting the legislation on the Abolition of Feudal Tenure and related subjects- essentially, he is responsible for the modern position in Scots Property Law.
What else? Well, you say that you're from Edinburgh- that's admittedly going to make it tougher for you than someone in halls to make friends. Never fear, LawSoc is here- LawSoc organise a huge number of events throughout the year, moreso than any other society I know of, to make the Law School genuinely feel like one big community. There are few places that can say they share the same banter and camaraderie as we do. Some people say we're cliquey- I say we're just very good at making lots of friends on our course- and like-minded friends is what you're looking for, right?
Ultimately, it's your shout. But I can't stress enough how much I love Edinburgh Uni, and particularly the Law School (I say that as someone who has experience outwith the School). If you want a law degree from one of the most respected institutions in the world, let alone Scotland, while also making sure you have one hell of a social life, Edinburgh Uni is the way to go.
Remember- Edinburgh Lawyers are always the first to the bar.....:biggrin:
Reply 50
Can anyone put me in contact with any French and English or Scottish Literature bods because I couldn't make the open day last week, and I would really appreciate a chat...

thanks!
Do try Google - it's really easy!

Edinburgh French department (you want the Course convener)
And try here for English/Scottish Literature. Try emailing a course secretary.

Remember, they're all on holiday at the moment, so you won't get an immediate response.
michaelnicholson88
For a start, Edinburgh University is far superior to Glasgow for Law- it is generally recognised that we and Aberdeen are currently well ahead of the rest, and are competing with one another for the top spot- different surveys put one or other of us ahead. From the word go at Edinburgh, you'll be getting taught by people who genuinely are the foremost authorities in their fields- in the first semester of first year, you're taught Contract and Unjustified Enrichment by Hector MacQueen, who is unrivalled (except perhaps by his sometime collaborator, Joe Thomson) in the subject, and is far and away the Scottish authority on UE. The list of highly respected and technically very good lecturers goes on right the way through- Property law, for example, is taught by Kenneth Reid, who was responsible for drafting the legislation on the Abolition of Feudal Tenure and related subjects- essentially, he is responsible for the modern position in Scots Property Law.
What else? Well, you say that you're from Edinburgh- that's admittedly going to make it tougher for you than someone in halls to make friends. Never fear, LawSoc is here- LawSoc organise a huge number of events throughout the year, moreso than any other society I know of, to make the Law School genuinely feel like one big community. There are few places that can say they share the same banter and camaraderie as we do. Some people say we're cliquey- I say we're just very good at making lots of friends on our course- and like-minded friends is what you're looking for, right?
Ultimately, it's your shout. But I can't stress enough how much I love Edinburgh Uni, and particularly the Law School (I say that as someone who has experience outwith the School). If you want a law degree from one of the most respected institutions in the world, let alone Scotland, while also making sure you have one hell of a social life, Edinburgh Uni is the way to go.
Remember- Edinburgh Lawyers are always the first to the bar.....:biggrin:

Thank you!

Yeah they mentioned that Maqueen person at the open day. I mean I know it's prestigious, more so than Glasgow, that's not really the problem. If I were more concerned with prestige I'd be sold on Edinburgh already. I wish I was. I'm trying to be haha!

I suppose i'd never seen myself as been the kind of person who got really involved in the whole Law school social life thing... My social life is perhaps a bit too centred around music/obsureness/gigs/related nights out and that's more what I have in common with people than other stuff, and I just don't really see how Edinburgh is ever going to do that for me. I don't really get on well with 'cliquey' enviroments, as my school is a bit like that and I hate it. I suppose I see uni as finally getting the oppurtunity to escape that and meet lots of different people. Especially since i'm not too fond of clubbing here. I've never really been one for getting too involved in things like societies and the social stuff that goes with it. Tend to meet people other ways.

Arggh why can't Edinburgh uni be in Glasgow? Except for the obvious geographical impossibility :P
Reply 53
sweetest-downfall

Arggh why can't Edinburgh uni be in Glasgow? Except for the obvious geographical impossibility :P

Ditto! I love Edinburgh but every now and then wish I'd picked Glasgow for the music scene. I'm going there for my Diploma probably, either way I'm vacating Edinburgh after graduation.

On a strange note, MacQueen's son reads Law at... Glasgow.
NicLeys
Ditto! I love Edinburgh but every now and then wish I'd picked Glasgow for the music scene. I'm going there for my Diploma probably, either way I'm vacating Edinburgh after graduation.

On a strange note, MacQueen's son reads Law at... Glasgow.

Ahh finally someone in my position! Are you from Edinburgh? How did you know that about his son?
Reply 55
sweetest-downfall
Ahh finally someone in my position! Are you from Edinburgh? How did you know that about his son?

He told us during a lecture in first year. Hector is a jolly old sort, looks a bit like Santa :wink:

I'm from a village midway between the two cities, in commuting distance from either, but moved to Edinburgh for uni. I miss all the gigs I used to be able to go to when I was back home, now I'm just put off by the distance to travel to see a band, and the late night journey home.
NicLeys
He told us during a lecture in first year. Hector is a jolly old sort, looks a bit like Santa :wink:

I'm from a village midway between the two cities, in commuting distance from either, but moved to Edinburgh for uni. I miss all the gigs I used to be able to go to when I was back home, now I'm just put off by the distance to travel to see a band, and the late night journey home.

What made you decide to come to Edinburgh in the end? I mean, I know it's a better uni but Glasgow seems not AWFUL, in fact pretty good. Don't you think the night life in general is a bit rubbish here? I kind of want more options beside Cav, Why Not or Potterow. Did you stay in Edinburgh uni accomodation? Have you managed to find people similar to you on your course? Sorry a million questions but i'm deciding today/tomorrow where to go :P
Reply 57
sweetest-downfall
What made you decide to come to Edinburgh in the end? I mean, I know it's a better uni but Glasgow seems not AWFUL, in fact pretty good. Don't you think the night life in general is a bit rubbish here? I kind of want more options beside Cav, Why Not or Potterow. Did you stay in Edinburgh uni accomodation? Have you managed to find people similar to you on your course? Sorry a million questions but i'm deciding today/tomorrow where to go :P

I chose Edinburgh because its a beautiful city, and has a better reputation, and, shamefully, a little because most of my close friends from school were coming here too.

Nightlife is what you make of it I suppose! I usually prefer the Citrus Club, Opium, Hive or Liquid Rooms for music nights, and Ego for random banter and dancing.

Stayed in College Wynd - probably why I've spent so much time in clubs in/around the Cowgate! Was worth the experience - learning to live with people other than my family, learning to cook et al.

Found a nice niche of friends in my course, though I think Law tends to get a little cliquey because there are so many of us in our own building separate from George Square. I met my current bf when we were freshers (third year now), and made some life long friends (I think!). There are people from every background in the Law School, but I think its good to meet people outside it - I work part time, and do volunteer work through the uni where I've met lots of students from other courses. The majority of my friends now other than those from school who I moved here with are fellow law students though.

Feel free to ask anything though :smile:
NicLeys
I chose Edinburgh because its a beautiful city, and has a better reputation, and, shamefully, a little because most of my close friends from school were coming here too.

Nightlife is what you make of it I suppose! I usually prefer the Citrus Club, Opium, Hive or Liquid Rooms for music nights, and Ego for random banter and dancing.

Stayed in College Wynd - probably why I've spent so much time in clubs in/around the Cowgate! Was worth the experience - learning to live with people other than my family, learning to cook et al.

Found a nice niche of friends in my course, though I think Law tends to get a little cliquey because there are so many of us in our own building separate from George Square. I met my current bf when we were freshers (third year now), and made some life long friends (I think!). There are people from every background in the Law School, but I think its good to meet people outside it - I work part time, and do volunteer work through the uni where I've met lots of students from other courses. The majority of my friends now other than those from school who I moved here with are fellow law students though.

Feel free to ask anything though :smile:

Thanks loads!

ARGH I'm staying up til I decide. Edinburgh Glasgow Edinburgh Glasgow. Hmm. I've been to Citrus and the Hive and and Liquid Rooms and Vibe at Ego... Edinburgh clubs don't seem to be very hard on under agers! I like Vibe but not too fond of the others. The Hive is a'ight but a bit try hard IMO. So basically I don't love the clubs here. But I can't just base an entire 4 years on clubbing I s'pose.

The cliquey thing is very off putting to me, but I think a lot of Law Schools have a rep for being like that.

Ah I really don't know. Any other words of wisdom? Haha.
Reply 59
Is anyone going on a self-organised open day? I couldn't make the last one and want to look at some accommodation

Latest

Trending

Trending