The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I could never have coped with 4 A2 levels, I know people who tried to carry on 4 and found it too much, it depends on how you work. If you can dedicate ****loads of time then go for it, but if you have a lot of outside commitments then unis will not care if you just do 3, in fact most of them base their entry requirements on 3 A Levels becaue they know that most people do three.
Reply 2
Teachers at my school don't recommend it because it's such a huge workload and can cause your grades to fall. However, if you feel you have enough spare time to do it all then why not? :smile:
Reply 3
I got 6 :smile:
Reply 4
I'm doing four A levels currently, but mine are all in humanities subjects and the fourth I am teaching myself. So, I'm not sure how much help I can be. The only reason I think its not so hard, is because of the circumstances (humanities, self-teaching etc) but I know of others who have dropped down to three, particularly with regards to science subjects, having found it too hard.
If you REALLY want to do it, then its possible, but it can be a lot of hard work with certain combinations of subjects and unis do only ask for three grades. That said, Im glad I have four grades to get my ABB offers from, particularly since in one subject Im doing shockingly bad so far!
Reply 5
xinolisss
I got 6 :smile:
thats alot
I'm taking 4 a-levels at the moment, in Biol, Chem, Physics and Maths, and am finding it a lot of work but can cope with it as long as I keep up and do the hwk pretty much as soon as I get it. I see that you're predicted AAAAB, and would advise that you carry on the subjects you're better at/ find more interesting. I think with unis it generally works in your favor, but it isn't the be all and end all.
Reply 7
I do four still, Chem,Bio, Physics and History. As long as you are prepared to do the work, its not too hard to manage:smile: I don't think unis really care about doing a 4th A level.
Reply 8
I'm doing four at the moment (English Literature, Religious Studies, Politics and Spanish) and I'm really not finding it a problem at all. Saying that, though, I'm not a very organised person and will tend to hand my work in late anyway.
Reply 9
the only thing is that i find ICT quite tedious, and im only doing two further maths modules this year due to lack of free lessons i have the same with my teacher so im taking the third in january. that means until january ill still be doing 5 subjects...
At our school we were strongly encouraged to take 4 on to A2 but not many people did.
Reply 11
If you choose to do both maths + further maths (which you should), then I think definitely go for 4 as universities won't see enough breadth in your subjects otherwise.

Otherwise, I don't really see much point in doing 4 unless if you're worried about getting offers/meeting offers.
I'm taking Maths, Further maths, physics + chemistry at A2. To be honest, i'm not finding it any more difficult that it was at AS level, nor does it take any more time to study for.
Reply 13
I do 4 :smile:
maths economics biology and chem.

its not much harder.
just keep your head down and get those grades :wink:

good god.
i sound like a teacher.
Reply 14
I did 4 (Physics Maths Chem and German) and got AABB. I'm sure I'd have got AAA had I had a reduced workload, but I prefer having AABB to AAA.
Four is fine. I am doing 5, and that is hard. I would personally advise you to drop ICT and continue with FMaths. Unis much rather you have FMaths.

What do you plan on studying though?
Yeah, I mean as long as you are prepared to work for your subjects, and you do good at them, you probably won't have the slightest problem with any of them. I mean, I coped with doing C1-C4 M1-M3 S1 and FP1 which I've never sat before, well I must say I already had AS mathematics at the time, but I started those modules September 2007 and sat the Exams January 2008, so don't worry :smile:
You don't want to be doing ICT for a fourth A2 :smile:

I'm personally doing Further Maths , Physics and Computing A2's this year having taken Maths in year 12 and the workload isn't too demanding at the moment.I'm taking the self-taught route for Further Maths and it's not too bad with the occasional help of my teacher when you don't quite understand things.

Four A2 levels can't really do you any harm whatsoever so long as you have the ability to make sure your best three (or those that apply) meet the offer.I'd think unis would look favourably on you compared to those with three A2s.
I took A2 Chemistry, Maths, History, ICT and Critical Thinking, as well as AS Biology and General Studies, and came out with straight As so managed okay! It was a lot of work, but it has prepared me for the amount of work we need to do here to do well. I don't regret it at all! If you do AQA ICT, be prepared for the massive coursework project at A2 (well mine was massive!)
Reply 19
Rubix
I do 4 :smile:
maths economics biology and chem.

its not much harder.
just keep your head down and get those grades :wink:

good god.
i sound like a teacher.
indeed you do, scarily so

Latest