The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Elfin Doll
You should start 4 and you'll know soon enough whether you can cope with the workload and drop the one which you are weakest in.

good idea
Shrayans
No idea! And FMaths of all things! Lol... and the other was Computing..
relieves the pressure a bit in a way, but puts it on in another way, if you know what I mean.

Thats for LSE btw... Warwick rejected computing but want A or B in FMaths.

I didnt know unis can reject subjects :s: Which board are you doing your exams with?
I do 4, (maths, further maths, geog, eng lang) oh 5 including gs but i don't count that as i have no lessons! It's fine don't worry. The only difference that i see between me and my friends is that they have more free periods to waste!
bumblebee_em
good idea

It worked for me - I started with Ec, Maths, Eng Lit and Music but found I was doing so much with Lit that I had no free time - then we discovered we'd been reading the wrong set text for 6 months so I wobbled and dropped out - best decision I ever made tho :biggrin:
Reply 64
ManxKirsty
I do 4, (maths, further maths, geog, eng lang) oh 5 including gs but i don't count that as i have no lessons! It's fine don't worry. The only difference that i see between me and my friends is that they have more free periods to waste!
i hate my free periods because i never get any work done... not that i have many frees at the minute anyway... i prefer it that way
Reply 65
I also do 4 - only two people at my school do, and the other is a maths/further maths combo.. so its not really encouraged.. I'm quite rubbish at History - got a C aiming for a D hopefully this year, hope to keep my A in Eng lang and lit and drop down to a B in Religious Studies and Drama.. I find it tough but I could never choose one to drop!
Reply 66
bumblebee_em
I am currently taking ASs in Biology, Chemistry, ICT, Maths and Further Maths. I definitely want to carry on with Bio, Chem and Maths, but I'm considering taking either ICT or F Maths to A2. Is it worth it? any personal experiences with 4 A levels? Advice would be appreciated :biggrin:

thanks in advance!

EDIT: Also what do unis think about it?

Don't take ICT is down near useless for a person, who by what I can see, seems pretty smart. Further maths A2 would be excellent, as a matter of fact, some unis could hold it against you if you don't take it onto A2 when you have the opportunity. (unless you wanna do medicine, where some unis don't accept double maths).
A friend of mine got 10 A*s and 2As at GCSE
She took 5 A-Levels at AS and has continued with 4 and she's looking at ABDD, if she had taken 3 she could have gotten 3As.
She ruined it for herself, IMO. Concentrate and do well on 3 rather than doing alright on 4.

Prospective Student: Would I still get in if I got AABB?
Newcastle University Senior Medical Lecturer: No. We ask for 3 As. <paraphrased from here onwards> I don't see the point in doing 4 A Levels when universities only ask for 3.

I would strongly try and discourage you from taking 4, but it's your decision at the end of the day
Reply 68
thinking causes strain
She took 5 A-Levels at AS and has continued with 4 and she's looking at ABDD, if she had taken 3 she could have gotten 3As.
She ruined it for herself, IMO. Concentrate and do well on 3 rather than doing alright on 4.

Newcastle University Senior Medical Lecturer: No. We ask for 3 As. <paraphrased from here onwards> I don't see the point in doing 4 A Levels when universities only ask for 3.

I would strongly try and discourage you from taking 4, but it's your decision at the end of the day

Thats a good point, it depends on what your going for. If you wana do economics or maths, don't bother with biology, if you wana do med, drop further maths. But remember, if your going for highly competitive uni's, you need the extra ummf in some cases.
Reply 69
well thanks for all your help guys... im going to see how well i do in FP4 then make a decision
bumblebee_em
i hate my free periods because i never get any work done... not that i have many frees at the minute anyway... i prefer it that way

I get 2 50 minute frees a day! My friends who do 3 subjects get 3, so are essentially only taught for half of the day...
Im doing four a-levels: psychology, art, history and eng lit. problem is cos its art i ahve so much more to do then anyone else who is doing 4. i think you can do it, but dont be scared to drop one if its too muc- thats what im going to do, becuase i can get hopefully AAAB with alot of stress, or AAA and an as A with little stress only.
Plus what I found is that things go wrong outside of school, or even in school, and if they are serious they really jeapordize everything you worked on.
do four if you want: but only if you want it and are prepared to work hard
I'm taking four A-levels. I'm on course to get the same grades I got in my AS: AAAB. I don#t find doing four a-levels particularly stressful.
I'm doing 5 - Bio, Chem, PE, Maths and F Maths.

I didn't set out to do 5, as I was going to drop PE but got a very high AS mark so thought I might as well teach myself A2. Then school managed to timetable all 5 subjects so I've been to lessons for all. The plan was to drop PE or F Maths if it got too hard, but over half way through the year and its fine. And I do have a life aswell, I dont spend that much time working really - last term I was training 4 nights a week, playing in orchestra and a folk band and still managed ok. But PE is a complete doss and I quite often don't bother going to lessons cos I can teach myself in half the time.

So in my experience I don't think theres any issue with taking 4 A2s if you've done 5 for AS, and you're prepared to continue in the same way. Further Maths will do your uni applications more favours than ICT.

As for five, I think its more personal. Its a bit more dependant on the set-up, subjects, teachers, homework levels and how much time you're prepared to put in out of school.
Reply 74
Callipygian
At our school we were strongly encouraged to take 4 on to A2 but not many people did.

She would be reffering to me:smile: It definately helped my application. As i received pretty much all my offers within a month whereas other people, with only 3 subjects applying for the same subject as me (biology) still haven't got all their offers. I'm doing Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Eng lit. All not exactly 'easy' subjects and among some of the hardest IMO! But it definately is managable, to be perfectly honest, i probably do less work than some people doing 3 A Levels (but then again these people doing 3 are quite stupid) so they work hard to get their grades. I mean....as long as your clever enough it's fine - whenever i have frees we do NOTHING, basically just sit around and play pool or something. Doing 3 A Levels just means you have an extra 5 hours a week of bordem....i myself could not handle being stuck at school with nothing to do.
Reply 75
thinking causes strain
She took 5 A-Levels at AS and has continued with 4 and she's looking at ABDD, if she had taken 3 she could have gotten 3As. She ruined it for herself, IMO. Concentrate and do well on 3 rather than doing alright on 4.

That's a load of BS tbh. of course they wouldn't let you in with AABB but then again if you only did 3 A Levels....they wouldn't let you in with AAB. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work that out.

How do you know she would have got 3 A's if she only did 3? That's just **** and you know it. ABDD is a LOT of difference from AAA. to get d's in A2 would mean that she would have had to get fewer than 360 ucas points. Only 60 more than the maximum of AS level....60 points at A2.....riiight, i think she must have stopped trying, any ****** could get a D if they got an A at AS....yet again not rocket science.

To the thread starter: don't listen to people who are acerbic and listen to more quintessential people who take 4 A Levels. Obviously they'll have more knowledge of taking 4 A Levels rather than making up fictional characters and saying how they messed up.
Joe555
Doing 3 A Levels just means you have an extra 5 hours a week of bordem....i myself could not handle being stuck at school with nothing to do.

agree totally. if i did 3 i would have 21 frees a fortnight, with 5 subjects i have 7, which is quite ok. of that 7 hours i probably work in about 4-5, but with mates around and stuff so its a bit half-hearted.
Reply 77
I was planning on carrying on with all four of my subjcts for A2, seeing as I'm not struggling in any of them and I'm generally enjoying all my lessons, but all this talk about heavy work-loads is scary. Hmm. I can already see myself with a horrendous amount of essays, but seeing as that's already the case...
Wangers
First year med....im a gappy

Ahh I see! Weeell it's kind of what you make of it really, but for me to keep on top it requires quite a lot of work. Most people here are really intelligent (and a lot have already done degrees before this) so I have to make myself work extra hard. But it's definitely manageable and I wouldn't want to do anything else. :smile:
From what I've seen, the people at my school who do 3 A2s rarely do any better than those who do four. It's over-optimistic to claim that doing three gives you more time to dedicate to them, since every single student who does 3 A2s spend their 2 frees a day dossing about completely. More free time just gives you more time to procrastinate, as far as I've seen. The people I know who did 4 then switched down to three have simply gone from BBBB to BBB, since they don't suddenly gain talent in those subjects.

The workload isn't incredibly heavy for most A2 subjects, I don't know of anyone whose been having trouble coping with 4, if they put in a bit of effort.

Latest